Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Music Store Deception

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by kelnet, Mar 5, 2018.

1. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I just discovered that a music store out here is putting signed pickguards on guitars and selling them as signed guitars. He's getting these pickguards from an ebay store called Walls of Sound Memorabilia.

This one is very weird. Toly Anderson, who sang with Jefferson Airplane before Grace Slick joined, apparently signed some guitar pickguards. Did she even play guitar?

https://abbotsford.craigslist.ca/msg/d/signed-toly-anderson-the/6518782775.html

This whole thing seems very sketchy.

2. src9000

src9000 Poster Extraordinaire

Funny thing, I don't think many of us want someone else's signature on our guitars.

WetBandit, awasson, SacDAve and 8 others like this.

3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    I see occasional guitars on craigslist that are signed by bands I've never heard of. The guitars are usually crap and the sellers think the unknown band signatures add value.

Ebidis, awasson, gusfinley and 3 others like this.

4. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    WHOAH.... that guitar in the ad... the seller didn't even other make sure the pickups are protruding through the pickguard correctly before photographing it. He much have been in a hurry!!

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Tonetele likes this.

5. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    Anything advertised as signed just sits. There's no attraction for me...plus, it's a pretty easy fake.

6. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Well, some of the signatures on these guitars are quite well-known: Todd Rundgren, The Alarm, The Church, Kathy Sledge of Sister Sledge. What's weird, though, is that the Certificates of Authenticity clearly show that it's the pickguard and not the guitar that was signed. This guy just put the pickguards on some crap Squiers. This store has been around for decades, so it's not like the seller thinks the guitars are valuable. He's just trying to dupe buyers.

Has anyone here heard of Walls of Sound?

3-Chord-Genius likes this.

7. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    I don't know about the pickguards.

I would like to say I met Signe Toly Anderson in the mid '70s at the Dandelion Pub in SW Portland. She was very beautiful in spirit and physically beautiful. She knocked me out, she was full of grace. A very graceful person.

smartsoul72 likes this.

8. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    I know about the wall of death: IMG_2946.JPG

drf64 and telemnemonics like this.

9. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 7, 2009
    Kansas City, MO
    She's probably said nice things about meeting you too...I'm pretty sure!

10. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    I wouldn't want a signed guitar except for "Trigger" and I hope that guitar goes to a museum when Willie passes. Who wouldn't want Trigger? What a beautiful sounding guitar- meant for Willie to play- not to worry about it's appearance.

11. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    But would you want a signed pickguard, to put on any guitar you like?

12. Tonetele

Tonetele Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia

13. drf64

drf64 Poster Extraordinaire

Jul 24, 2009
    Ada, MI
    Are they Squier pickguards?

14. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Oh, I don't think they're of that high quality.

dented likes this.

15. Tele1966

Tele1966 Friend of Leo's

Jul 30, 2014
    US
    @william tele, that is very nice of you to say. I hope she thought I was a good guy. She was very caring.

Here is a picture I found on the internet. This is a picture taken in probably mid to early '60s. She quit Airplane, she wasn't fired.

[​IMG]

william tele likes this.

16. Milspec

Milspec Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2016
    Nebraska
    I don't of anyone who would play the instrument with a valuable signature, so the guitar is the just the frame for the painting so to speak. No sense in using a nice instrument for that purpose. It does read a little vague and doesn't make it clear as to how this was signed...signed the pickguard or signed the pickguard on the guitar. That part is a little disappointing.

17. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow that's a pretty small scale scam. A Hondo strat possibly signed by someone almost no one has ever heard of, for $300.

JayFreddy likes this.

18. brobar

brobar Tele-Holic

May 30, 2017
    Colorado
    Was in a memorabilia shop in Vegas this weekend and they did the same thing. Dozens of Starcasters, Raptors, and even cheaper guitars (some guitars cheaper than a quality pick guard) signed by artists. They take it a step further and put it in a shadow box with a photo of the artist who signed it. So they are taking a $75 guitar and having it (or the pickguard) signed by an artist or band like Velvet Revolver, putting it in a $150 shadow box (which I'm sure they probably get for $100 or less in bulk), slap a $2 photo of the artist in there and a $5 band-name placard, and for under $200 worth of crap they are marking it up to $4,000+ because they think some idiot with more money than brains will buy it. No COAs accompanied the items from what I could tell.

I've used "autographs" as a bargaining chip when buying guitars before. That paint job is ruined... will you knock $250 off the price? A little swirl remover and 5-10 minutes with a buffing rag and the autograph is gone.

nojazzhere, jimbo735 and RodeoTex like this.

19. kelnet

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    I'm wondering if Walls of Sound is just paying random people to sign some pickguards.

nojazzhere likes this.

20. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    there was a store in Vegas that had a guitar with all 4 pink floyd signatures on the pick guard the problem is it's a squier and all 4 members didnt all sign autographs,
    doubvious at best and unless there is pedigree and providence it dont mean squat. just an expensive squier.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.