Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Music reading advice

Discussion in 'Tab, Tips, Theory and Technique' started by fakeocaster, Dec 2, 2012.

1. fakeocaster

fakeocaster Tele-Afflicted

Hi guys

being self taught my music reading abilities are limited to say the least. can anyone recommend a good method book to help me develop this?

Preferably one with a CD so that i ca confirm the what Im playing is rhythmically correct?
  2. hymiepab

hymiepab Tele-Meister

Jan 22, 2009
    Hartford CT
    William Leavitt's Berklee Guitar Method books are really good and I believe they come with recordings as well.
    I started reading relatively late in the game but caught on after a while.
    My advice is put aside a little time daily when you read only standard tab backup!
    Good luck, it will pay off!
  3. Chris S.

Chris S. Asst. Admin Staff Member

Mar 26, 2005
    Near TELE-Town (Wash. DC)
    Admin Post
    The best reading book I've seen is a Berklee book by Bill Leavitt, but it's called "Melodic Rhythms for Guitar," available through Amazon or Berklee Press. It uses a very well-designed set of exercises using specific rhythms, first with single notes, then with scale patterns, then with tunes using the same rhythmic figures you're working on. It will get you reading right from page one. Highly recommended. :cool:

The Modern Method for Guitar books are great also, but they're for overall guitar development, not specifically reading. Hope it helps, CS
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. klasaine

klasaine Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 28, 2006
    NELA, Ca
    +1 to what Chris S. just mentioned.

Also ... you will need to spend at least 20 minutes a practice session just on reading to notice any improvement. Ideally, 5 days week.
    (any reading 'method' will work if you do the work)
  6. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    Another +1 for the Melodic Rhythms book by Leavitt.
  7. Chris2P

Chris2P TDPRI Member

Jan 12, 2010
    North Wales, PA
    When I was a kid (a long time ago:)) my music teacher started my lessons with "Alfred Guitar Method" The book is still available and you can get it with a cd. You will learn how to read all your notes for the 1st 3 fret positions as well as reading cowboy chords from the note staff, melody, timing, etc. After going through both method one and two books I was able (and still am) to pick up any pop, rock, blues, sheet music and read/hear the melody in my mind. When you can do that, you don't need a sound track to confirm what you've read. I will never regret going through that learning experience.

8. Thorpey

Thorpey Tele-Holic

Dec 26, 2008
    Blackpool, UK
    F-A-C-E PALM! is what usually happens to me when I try to read music :lol:
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.