Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Music my wife likes :rolleyes:

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by BigDaddyLH, Oct 4, 2017.

1. Chikubi

Chikubi TDPRI Member

Mar 3, 2017
    PA
    My wife is pretty open to most things I listen to without complaint, but a few of the things she likes I can pass on. Overall, we're pretty similar taste-wise for, the most part.

2. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Holic

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    She has decent taste in the music that defined our high school and college years - she likes: U2, Peter Gabriel, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Winwood, etc., but little interest in anything else. She never turns on music at home or in the car. Occasionally I'll play something for her that floats her boat but it's impossible to figure out why. I don't think she has purchased music in 20 years. She doesn't even get earworms. Basically she is indifferent to music which is kind of annoying but sometimes kind of nice.

3. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Tele-Holic

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    You can find music to listen to on the radio??

unixfish likes this.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Reminds me of a couple I met at couple's counselling: he was a flamenco guitarist and they were acting out their drive to the session:

she: let me find some music on this ipod ... (under breath) <click> flamenco ... <click> flamenco ...<click> flamenco ...<click> flamenco ...
    he: uh, it's all flamenco.

5. lammie200

lammie200 Tele-Holic

Jan 11, 2013
    San Francisco
    Every year my wife and her friends go see the English Beat. I grew up with R'n R and all of the permutations including the punk era of English Beat fame, but I concentrate my guitar playing on jazz. Always have and always will. I could stand for 3 minutes and play an English Beat song, but my brain would have to diminish functioning by at least 50% to do it.

6. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit

I gotta admit - I like a lot of their stuff. Wife, not so much.

(Even though I know it's a shtick for them - it's a good shtick !)

Wife just turned 50 and loooooves St Vincent . Used to loooooove Sarah McLachlan but is now embarrassed when that type of music comes on...:lol:

7. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don’t know, I hog all playlists, records players, concerts, and aux cords. She says I have the problem, crazy right?

8. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 5, 2006
    Sinatra's World
    Yup, wife’s Japanese, and also a teenager in the 80s. So, yeah...

I really like Vanity Fair and Twentieth Party albums. The rest of it is a bit too bubblegummy for me.

That said, I’m a huge MAX, Aikawa Nanase, and especially ELT fan. You figure it out!

(Here's hint: Check out the guitar player -- He kicks major butt!)

And, this one from Aikawa Nanase -- Yikes! Great player:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

9. BobbyB

BobbyB Tele-Holic

Yanni

10. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Meister

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    Whatever bit o' crap they played on Morning Edition this morning.

Every morning.

11. drlucky

drlucky Tele-Meister

Jun 19, 2012
    Fresno, Ca
    My wife has pretty good taste in music for the most part, but she does like to listen to the Contemporary Christian station every now and then. I have no problem with the "message", but every song sounds like a third rate copy of a bad 90's band musically.

HoogieHar likes this.

12. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

My wife was a locum at a doctor's office where they played CCM. When office hours were over they switched to metal. :twisted:

drlucky likes this.

13. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Luis Miguel
    Menudo
    The Osmonds
    All things disco
    Celine Dion

We have an agreement: I only play my Hendrix stuff on those Saturdays when she's out at the beauty parlor.

14. blowtorch

blowtorch Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017

15. JayFreddy

JayFreddy Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 6, 2006
    Dallas TX USA
    This thread makes me proud... My wife is cool.

Janis Joplin
    Tom Waits
    Lou Reed
    Spitz (nihonjin damonn!)
    Alison Krause
    Aerosmith
    Fairground Attraction

16. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Telefied Ad Free Member

My girlfriend likes (the late) Jimmy Spheeris. Can't stand him.

And there's maybe 40 things I like she doesn't like - but she got me the box set, the Cocteau Twins even though she dislikes Elizabeth's voice. So there!! :^)

17. etype

etype Tele-Holic

Sep 23, 2014
    Dallas
    It's not that I don't like it, but after 27 years of marriage, I could use a little more variety!

Frank'n'censed likes this.

18. jannodude

jannodude Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2016
    SF Bay Area/California
    Woaaaaaah! My wife doesn't like hip hop or reggae.. especially rap! My wife likes 90s alternative rock/pop/emo/boy band. Which I completely respect.

19. Larry F

Larry F Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

Nov 5, 2006
    Iowa City, IA
    About once a year, my wife suddenly emits this weird Piaf buzzsaw voice. More commonly, she is afflicted with a song in her head, which she starts singing, and tries to get me to sing along. I'm a sport about it.

20. rburd2

rburd2 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 13, 2016
    Georgia, US
    My wife loves 70s and 80s country, digs 90s country, and loves some Green Day and, oddly enough, really likes some Pantera stuff and some Ozzy.

My ZZ Top, Jimi, punk, etc. just doesn't go along with her, though.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.