Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Music. Homework. School.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by SURF, Feb 13, 2018.

1. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    Who did their homework with the music nearly always playing?

2. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    Who did their homework? :)

I have music playing even now when I work. Headphones. The only annoying thing is when I sing all ng at work :)

Carl

Jimmy Owen and SURF like this.

3. 6stringcowboy

6stringcowboy Tele-Afflicted

I cant. I focus on the music almost exclusively.

Snowcave, nojazzhere and SURF like this.

4. TimothyC

TimothyC Tele-Afflicted

May 12, 2016
    California
    I can't do it. My mind can barely focus on one thing. I pretty much need to be in a sensory deprivation tank to compute the simplest of problems. Having bad tinnitus and other problems doesn't help much these days either.

nojazzhere, 6stringcowboy and SURF like this.

5. demon

demon Tele-Meister

Jan 18, 2015
    Northern Europe
    I used to. Every time. Got me into the right kind of trancelike state to absorb the knowledge and wisdom.

Now I can't. I get distracted right away; it hinders, not helps.

I guess my brain is now full.

nojazzhere, SURF and Nickadermis like this.

6. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Friend of Leo's

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I have music going in my head all the time as it is. If there is OTHER music going at the same time, I have to focus really hard to shut out the internal music, so trying to do that AND do homework (or read or many other tasks) is just exhausting.

SURF likes this.

7. sean79

sean79 Poster Extraordinaire

I listened to music doing math, but I couldn’t do that if I was reading.

SURF likes this.

8. edvard

edvard Tele-Holic

May 15, 2016
    Bremerton, WA
    I too, am distracted by music. Unless it's some ambient stuff by Eno or something, then it's just background like the pizzicato flute music they used to play in grocery stores when I was a kid. I've caught myself listening a little too close to Music for Airports 1/1 though.

What can REALLY get me concentrating is an infinite loop of rain with low rolling thunder in the background. Something about it just lets me focus pretty sharp.

SURF and Jimmy Owen like this.

9. Picton

Picton Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Feb 7, 2009
    Reading, Massachusetts
    Not me. I was a TV kid, and now I’m a TV grown-up. I always have a TV on as background noise, and I always did when I was doing my homework as well.

I can’t really stand headphones. Never have, unless I’m practicing; I’ve never been able to just enjoy music with headphones, and that goes back to the Walkman days.

SURF likes this.

10. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Had a roommate/friend back in college who would blast music, get ripped on the bong, have a couple beers then code/program all night. Not only do I prefer no music if I need to concentrate but I sure as heck need to be sober.

SURF likes this.

11. Boubou

Boubou Poster Extraordinaire Gold Supporter

Jul 30, 2005
    Montreal, Quebec
    Yes for me.
    The misses can't multitask

SURF likes this.

12. Junkyard Dog

Junkyard Dog Tele-Holic

Mar 7, 2016
    USA
    This must seem absolutely implausible now, but we came home from school, played football/basketball/bbguns/whatever for awhile, did homework (no music), ate supper, watched whatever prime time TV show we were offered, and went to bed.

SURF likes this.

13. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow
    I see. I used to listen songs in different language not to be distracted from the reading.

14. Freejack

Freejack Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Apr 26, 2011
    Nederland, CO
    My problem is I am easily distracted. I use music as a focused distraction, a known one. Then I can let my mind wander for a minute on the song vs on something that will totally take me away from what I’m supposed to be doing.

And yea, no headphones. They hurt my ears. Technically they’s earbuds on some flexible ear hooks so I can leave them hanging and not actually insert them, which also hurts. “Headphones” is just shorthand for that :)

Carl

SURF likes this.

15. Brad Pittiful

Brad Pittiful Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 22, 2008
    Philly Burbs

16. SURF

SURF Tele-Holic

Jan 23, 2010
    Moscow

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.