Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

MusFrnd Stupid Deal, Bad Cat 15w combo $599

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Colo Springs E, Jan 14, 2013.

1. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity

2. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

looks like a hell of a deal

3. leatherbound

leatherbound Tele-Meister

When Musiciansfriend first got these they were DEEPLY discounted. They have since fixed their prices. I spoke with a local shop that told me to buy from Musiciansfriend because their advertised price was lower than cost.

However, after doing much research I found that these amps are not backed by BADCAT USA. Evidently BADCAT sold or lost part of it's branding rights so this chinese company started making chinese bad cats. Although they resemble the USA amps and have a similar logo. They are not in any way associated with BADCAT USA. I wouldn't mind trying one out though.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Colo Springs E

Not associated AT ALL with Bad Cat USA?? Are you sure?

I understand if they don't carry the same warranty and probably aren't as good, but aren't they still Bad Cats (similar to a Vox made in China, Fender made in Mexico etc)?

EDIT: just checked their website... no mention of the Cougar. Hmmmm....

6. studio1087

studio1087 Doctor of Teleocity

http://www.badcatamps.com/faq/

Click on the box in the upper right that says American Made.......all Bad Cat amps are made in CA. I think.

I always think of Bad Cat and Dr. Z in the same price range. $599 is a deal. I have to wonder how many of those amps are inventoried at MF. Think they have 20 of them? Doesn't seem like an amp that they would have pallets of.

I wonder if they'll sell out.

7. leatherbound

If you do a google search on these amps you will find where the head honchos at BADCAT USA state they have nothing to do with them.

When I first saw them hit MF the prices were way low! Something like $499 or $599 for the head. $599 would be a still if it was a legit BADCAT amp. I think I will just stick to my Dr Z!!

8. SacDAve

SacDAve Friend of Leo's

That price is pretty unbelievable. I just don't need an amp right now. I would also guess none are left at that price , ( GC is $999.99 )

9. leatherbound

10. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Poster Extraordinaire

You can have an AC15 for that price.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  11. Cat MacKinnon

Cat MacKinnon Friend of Leo's

i think it's a little shady that the Cougar Series amp website only has a cursory history of the brand (and seems to go out of its way to avoid saying certain things.) i also notice that it doesn't have a link or seemingly any connection to BadCat USA in any way. and maybe it's a bit nit-picky, but the Cougar Series amps don't have the cat eyes on the name plate. the whole thing seems like they're trying to associate themselves with BadCat USA while avoiding certain legal aspects.

kinda reminds me of what happened with Hiwatt several years back when Fernandes owned the name. the whole situation was really confusing. the prices on the Chinese BadCats seem high when you compare them to something like the VHT Specials or similar low-wattage import amps that have a pretty good track record, low price and are highly moddable.

12. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Glad I found this thread, I was about to order one...figuring wtf, it's a MIC Bad Cat...except it's NOT a Bad Cat :rolleyes:

I only found one youtube demo and it was mostly gained out rocker stuff.

13. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Although, this NAMM 2011 video makes me believe there is SO association with Bad Cat.......then again, the video was filmed at the BC Rich booth...still confused.

14. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

Ok, the Cougar Series is made for the Hanser Group, owners of the BC Rich, Michael Kelly and Kustom "names". Found a thread on HC where an email to Bad Cat was responded to saying Bad Cat USA has NOTHING to do with the Cougar series. Thus, someone sold the "Bad Cat" name out and nothing more.

http://www.hansermusicgroup.com/

15. Colo Springs E

Why isn't BadCat USA going after these guys??

At the very least, placing a prominent note on their website that these amps aren't affiliated with them.

Don't they care that this is smearing their name/reputation??

16. purpletele

purpletele Friend of Leo's

+1

17. Mr Ridesglide

Mr Ridesglide Tele-Afflicted

Really an odd deal going on here - i notice the plastic Bad Cat logo plate doesn't have the eyes on them that light up when you take it off standby either - i own an earlier bad cat - black cat 30R - and it's quite amazing really - this is ...well odd -

18. JohnK24

JohnK24 Friend of Leo's

My guess is they got a nice check for use of the name and that's it. Purely speculation on this, mind you.

19. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

The version of this amp that they sell in China has a pic of Courteney Cox on it.

20. SacDAve

SacDAve Friend of Leo's

I think the video was pretty informative. At $600 it's not a bad deal but I would still want to test drive it before I bought one.

21. wallis222

wallis222 Tele-Afflicted

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.