Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Multi Modulation Pedals

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by sliberty, Jan 25, 2018.

1. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I currently have a Donner Alchemy and a home made EA Tremolo pedal. I have been looking at alternatives, perhaps to give me a little more ease of use (some simple multi effects are not easy because when you change effects, your settings are now all wrong).

The Alchemy was inexpensive, and has lots of featured effects (not all very good though), and the EA Trem is perfect. But if I could have the Alchemy set most of the time for rotary or univibe, I would then want to replace the EA Trem with something easy to use that would fill some of the other gaps (chorus, AutoWah, which I don't currently have, etc.). Yes, the Donner has chorus, but I am trying to minimize the re-adjustment time.

I bought, tried and packed up for return, a TomsLine Aroma AMS-3. The effects were just not that good. And the A-Filter isn't what I hoped(AutoWah is what I was hoping for). This will go back later today.

What else is out there is a small-ish form factor, and under $125?

Thanks,
    Steve

2. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Besides autowah, what other effects does this pedal need to have? I have a ZCAT QMOD that has phaser, tremolo, chorus, and flanger. I love, LOVE it. All of these effects sound pretty good. I got this because I didn't use any of those effects too much, still don't, so this is a good solution. No autowah, though.

3. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I suspect I will use both my new pedal and the Alchemy, so the must have sounds are hard to define. Here is the total of what I will use:

Rotary
    Chorus
    Univibe
    Tremolo
    maybe Flanger (maybe not)
    AutoWah (currently don't have this, and would like to in the next pedal)

Since all are in the Alchemy, I can choose a new pedal that doesn't do them all. If I find a pedal that does them all well, and is easy to setup, then I can eliminate the Trem and the Alchemy. But if not, i would keep them both, and use one pedal for some sounds, and the other pedal for the remaining sounds.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018

4. tele_pathic

tele_pathic Friend of Leo's

Aug 18, 2009
    St. George, UT
    Ah, definitely check out the QMOD!

wulfenganck likes this.

5. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Yep, seconded!

6. wulfenganck

wulfenganck Tele-Meister

Aug 18, 2015
    Seligenstadt, Germany
    Not a recommendation, but a warning: don't try the Mooer Mod Factory - it tries desperately to offer as much different modulation types as possible and fails with up 80% of it. It always sounds....cheap and it has a massive tone-suck.

7. bettyseldest

bettyseldest Tele-Afflicted

Nov 13, 2011
    UK
    the Line 6 MM4 Modulation Modeller goes for about £100 or less used here in the UK, might be what you need.

8. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    Zoom MS100BT (second hand).

Modman68 likes this.

9. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA

10. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Well, I ended up buying a Zoom MS-70CDR, and I like the pedal a lot. A broad range of time based effects including various modulations, delays and reverbs (thus the letters in the model name: Chorus-Delay-Reverb, although it does many more modulations than just chorus).

But it does come with a set of compromises. First, the Rotary effect: no continuous speed control - just 2 settings - slow and fast, and no way to switch from slow to fast or back without reaching for the controls, and no depth control. The Fast is a little too deep, and the slow is not deep enough. Second, this pedal was not really designed for switching effects during a live performance. You can either use the foot switch to bypass an effect, or you can use it to select an effect, but then you have no bypass capability. And a silly little pet peeve: when switching the Rotary from slow to fast or fast to slow, you can hear the pedal ramp up or down. But since there is no way to select speed with the footswitch, that ramp feature is totally worthless :)

But having said that, the sounds are really really good for the most part (there is some weird crap too). I will be keeping this pedal, and I will likely use the excellent Chorus effect in place of Rotary since it has speed and depth controls, and is very lush.

None of the lower priced multi modulation effect pedals are going to have it ALL going on I suppose. But if anyone finds one that does, I'd consider making another purchase.

11. chris m.

chris m. Poster Extraordinaire

Eventide H9 has every sound you could ever imagine and then some. Easy to select and edit presets using the iPAD/iPhone interface instead of the pedal's fairly rudimentary controls. Couple with a generic expression pedal and you can get all kinds of cool effects in addition to what you're looking for: wah, autowah, whammy pedal, organ sounds, arpeggiators, the list goes on and on. Not cheap at around $800 but it is quite amazing.

12. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    The H9 seems like an amazing option, but at $800 and center positive 500mA of current draw, its not in the cards for my cheap battery powered board. :)

13. Salsg

Salsg TDPRI Member

Apr 12, 2018
    SoCal
    I have the Donner Mod Square. For the $35 I paid it satisfied my needs for modulation.
    I use modulation sparingly but with my band need a chorus for a song or two, trem for two songs, maybe a phaser for one.

14. klkampman

klkampman Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2016
    US
    Does the Mooer Mod Factory Pro, the double stomp size, have same issues? I was looking at this too. I saw that they have a MkII of the mini MF coming out soon that supposedly solves the volume issues and has a few more features from the pro version.

15. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    I bought one of these as well and found it lacking too. I kept it just for fun though.

I went with buying individual, inexpensive, pedals. The Rowin version of the Trelicopter is good. The Ammoon nano chorus is good (same circuit as the Hotone Choir). The Rowin nano Phaser is good.

16. homesick345

homesick345 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 20, 2012
    Beirut, Lebanon
    Instead of the H9, you can look into the Eventide modfactor. Pretty much every effect except time-based delay and verbs. Quality is just awesome

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.