Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Multi-Effects Units; T Rex Soulmate or ???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by PastorJay, Jun 2, 2014.

1. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    More good ideas.
    Line 6 M13 with the drive in front of the amp and the other effects in the loop.
    Carl Martin Quattro.
    Vox Multi (actually has a tube). I heard a guy using a Vox recently. It was obviously a good unit.
    Tech 21 Fly Rig 5.

Thanks again. This is all really helpful.

2. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    The Soulmate and the Magnus are similar. The Soulmate can be set up so the overdrive and distortion are in front of the amp, but the delay and reverb are in the effects loop. You can also add other effects to the Soulmate between the distortion and the delay. You can't do that with the Magnus, which is why I didn't already buy a Magnus.

I also think that on the Soulmate the effects more closely resemble particular T Rex pedals.

3. telecat33511

telecat33511 Tele-Holic

Aug 9, 2005
    Tampa Florida
    I STILL use my digitech GNX2
    just go into the configs, bypass a couple of amps or patches you dont use, save as effects patches -voila ! Save a ton of money

Buying new I'd go with Tech21 FlyRig
    I have a sans amp tri OD since the 1990 and it Still kills live and in the studio
    So does the GNX2

Good luck

4. whiteop

whiteop Tele-Afflicted

Nov 11, 2010
    Texas
    I like the Digitech RP-1000 because you can bypass the amp sims and it's really good for live playing. You can find them used pretty cheap. it also has a built-in looper and send and returns to patch it into your amp's effects loop if you want to use the amp sims.

5. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I know I'm necro-bumping a thread here, but am curious to see if anyone has more information on the differences or similarities between the SoleMate and the Magnus. In particular, I'm keen to know how similar the OD and the Distortions on each are to one another. (I'm up on the other differences re: FX Loop, aux power, etc.)

Anybody have any scoop on this?

6. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I never did a comparison except by video demo. But the Soulmate sounds great.

OD is TubeScreamer based, Dist is Rat-based. I use them very differently depending on whether I'm playing through a Fender/Marshall or Vox style amp. But they both sound incredible.

Staypuft1652 likes this.

7. Staypuft1652

Staypuft1652 Tele-Meister

Mar 7, 2017
    ND, USA

That will be 2 demerits....

8. fretwhizzy

fretwhizzy TDPRI Member

Aug 17, 2016
    UK
    You might want to investigate Boss' MS-3 . It has three programmable loops for any pedals you might want to add later, or indeed the preamp of your amp if use 4 cable method, plus loads of other internal FX you can place either in front or after the loops. There's also midi outputs and various switching/control in/out that would enable more sophisticated applications if you find you want to be able to do that sort of stuff. What I like about the concept is it not being crazily priced even if just used for its internal FX, but via its other facilities it can incorporate integrating/controlling seamlessly pretty much anything else you might want add if the occasion demands.

Edit: oh from 2014! I guess you'll have got stuff sorted by now! :)))

the tool likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.