Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Multi-Effects Units; T Rex Soulmate or ???

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by PastorJay, Jun 2, 2014.

1. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I'm looking for recommendations on an easy to use multi-effects unit (or maybe two).

For about 20 years I played mostly acoustic guitar and blues harp. About 10 years ago I started playing electric sometimes for worship. That's the only place except the house where I play my Tele or my Les Paul.

Our worship service typically includes some praise and worship songs, some old gospel songs, and old hymns that have been rocked up a little in one way or another.

I had been using a Digitech processor into a solid state amp. That worked well for the contemporary sounding praise and worship stuff, but the supposedly blues and clean Fender sounds didn't cut it for old gospel songs.

So I bought an Egnater Tweaker 40. It lets me easily go back and forth between a bluesy or R & B-ish sound for the old gospel (or older praise and worship) and a more modern rock sound that works for the newer praise and worship songs. And by flipping one switch on the amp it can go from sounding like a Fender to sounding at least sort of like a Marshall--a heavier rock sound. That part is great.

But it's got no reverb, delay is really important for some of the praise and worship songs, and I'd like to be able to add some dirt sometimes. I could also use some tremolo or vibe for some of the old gospel songs, and phaser, envelope filter or wah wah (maybe even a Leslie effect) would come in handy once in a while. I like chorus and love Flanger but probably wouldn't use them much.

I would love to go wild on pedals and build a great pedal board. But that seems like overkill given the uses I'd put it to.

I'm wondering if something like the T Rex Soulmate would go a long way toward meeting my needs. I figure I could supplement it with a few other pedals or maybe a Line 6 M something for the modulation effects I might use once in a while.

Anybody ever use a Soulmate?

Or is there something else that might be better?

I'd appreciate your thoughts and recommendations. Thanks.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2014

2. boldaslove71

boldaslove71 Tele-Meister

have you considered trying your Digitech processor through the effects loop of the tweaker for verbs, delays and modulation effects? If you are used to the Digitech processor processor already, adjusting the patches to match your new amp is a free solution. You may find you dont like this, but the price is right.

3. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Interesting idea. Thanks. I hadn't tried it because all the patches include an amp model and I didn't want to mess with the amp's tone. Maybe if I used a clean sounding amp model with the gain all the way down it wouldn't color the sound too much and would let me get the reverb and delay. It's certainly worth a shot. Thanks again.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2013
    KS
    Just write your own patch with maybe a EQ, delay/reverb etc. maybe a comp. No need for amp models really if your already using a amp. Most those digitech have multiple user memory locations where you can build exactly what you need. You've got everything you need, just need to implement to your new requirements.

5. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    I'll give that a try. If they'll play nice together, then all I'd need to add would be a dirt pedal upfront. Thanks.

6. unccivil

unccivil Tele-Meister

Aug 5, 2010
    Charlotte, NC
    The T Rex is great, but is pricey for $600.

I've been back and forth down the multi effect road several times... Line 6 (just about all of them) to Boss ME, to TC Nova, to Roland synth and after 10 plus years of buying and selling, have finally figured out that less is more on these things.

It took me a long time, but I finally realized that I almost always use reverb...use some form of delay very often... and use other mod and filter effects very seldom and pretty much never more than one at the same time.

What I settled on a few years ago and has worked great is one or two drive pedals of choice up front, then in the loop (if you have one):

An analog delay for general "note expansion (my term... Don't know what else to call it)". I leave this on a lot. MXR Carbon Copy or Malekko Ekko 616 work great. Right now, I have a Moog MF Delay that does a great overdrive delay mix...it's a great pedal, but sort of pricey.

Then, a Line 6 M9 (or similar) at the end of the run with an expression pedal attached. The M9 allows for three effects and a bunch of presets. So I typically have a digital delay (for U2-ish stuff), a reverb (on most of the time) and one block for whatever mod or filter effect.

The best part of this setup is that I have the drive and analog delay pedal on a smaller board that I can grab for times when I don't need all the mod stuff (blues and oldies cover band). I grab a Hardwire RV-7 and stick it on the end for reverb.

The other option is to get separate digital delay and reverb pedals and then a smaller M5 for the mod stuff. The only downside is if you have to try and time sync the mod and delay.

7. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia

8. Hammerhead

Hammerhead Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2008
    Aberdeen
    I like my Zoom MS50...

9. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2013
    Charlottesville, VA
    Me too, surprisingly good.

10. Mad Kiwi

Mad Kiwi Tele-Afflicted

Many of the Digitech pedals have an Amp Sim bypass function. RP350, 500 and 1000 for sure....

This is what I do on my RP1000 and 500 is use the amp sims when I am at home with headphones or going direct to my pa/speakers....and for practice and gigs just hi the Amp Sim bypass button...

I love it as it means no doubling of patches, trying to track changes to dual patches etc...

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    Boss ME80

I got a Boss ME80 recently, mostly just to downsize the footprint when I'm gigging, as I also have a Roland GR55.

The Boss ME80 has some very good reverb and delays, also some other great effects, you can use it in manual mode, so it's like using stompboxes, or you can use patches, download patches from Boss ToneCentral or make your own.

It has an amp modeling section but it has a dedicated footswitch for that, so you don't have to use the modeling.
    It's handy to have though, at a rehearsal my vintage Deluxe quit working ( the original filter caps died) so I plugged the ME80 into a channel of the keyboard amp, dialed in an amp model and got some decent tones.

I've already seen some of the ME80s selling used for around $200, a couple of individual pedals can cost that much (heck some single pedals cost more that!)

It's not the end all of units, but it's easy to use, has some good tones in it, and it was reasonably priced , even new.

12. euro

euro Tele-Holic

Apr 30, 2014
    Lyon
    I suggest a TC Nova System. It is not only compact, but has so many usable features that I just decided not to buy a Tech 21 Fly Rig 5, but instead use my Nova System with a small power amp and speaker for light weight work where I want all the bells and whistles in a small package.

The cost is as low as $320, slightly higher at the big box stores.

13. PastorJay

PastorJay Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2014
    California
    Thanks to everybody who posted here.

I've got several ideas now. Maybe I could go with my old processor in the loop and just add an overdrive in the front.

Or maybe a Line 6 M9 in the loop with overdrive in the front.

Or a Rumble Seat, Boss ME 80, TC Nova, or a Zoom MS 50. I'll check all of those out.

2 question for those who use the MC 80, Nova, or Zoom:
    How's the overdrive/distortion sound? and
    Where do you put it in the chain, before the amp or in the effects loop?

Thanks again.

Jay

14. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I have a Nova Drive, which is the exact same circuitry that is used in the Nova System. You basically have two flavors- Tube Screamer and Rat. The drives are both analog, and sound very good. They're also much more versatile than you would think, because you can change every parameter from preset to preset.

15. Sideways Jaye

Sideways Jaye Tele-Meister

Sep 10, 2013
    Charlottesville, VA
    The Zoom has very good overdrive/distortion sounds and you can get to "that" sound with either overdrive/distortion or one of the amp models. The more high gain models do come with some hiss, but everything on the pedal is tweakable.

I don't have any amps with effects loops, I run the Zoom after comp and TS on my Nano.

I'm extremely impressed with the MS-50G. I've never been a Zoom fan, but it's loaded with great sounds in a stompbox-sized package. The only downside is that learning how to program it and then switching between patches takes some patience and learning, but it's allowed me to have everything I want and more on a Nano-sized board.

16. beatup78

beatup78 TDPRI Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Austin, TX
    Look for a used, Line 6 M13, and Google/learn how to use "the 4 cable method", which allows you to use the overdrives into the front of you amp and any delay or modulations in the loop where they belong. The Line 6 stomp models are not exact, but close enough, especially if only used to alter or boost your core amp sound. It is a really versatile tool, and I have done many throw and go gigs with an unknown backline, my guitar, and the M13.

17. Gassage

Gassage Tele-Meister

Jun 30, 2013
    UK
    Carl Martin Quattro. A serious piece of boutique analog kit, with the right pedals...comp, 2 x ODs, Chorus and Analog delay. + an FX loop to add fave pedals

I gigged one for yrs- tremendous.

18. t.e.l.e.

t.e.l.e. Tele-Meister

Mar 14, 2013
    My lead guitarist plays an older VOX Multi with a Tube inside, sounds great in front of the amp (and looks better than the most plastic multis). Or you try an EHX Holy Stain in combination with a cry baby wah.

19. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Don't forget the Tech 21 FlyRig 5

20. nosuch

nosuch Friend of Leo's

Apr 4, 2008
    Cologne
    Inspired by this thread I looked around a bit. The fly rig looks cool.
    I wonder what is the difference between the T-Rex Soulmate and Magnus. Looks like they have the same effects and functions, but the Soulmate is more than 100 € above the Magnus. ???

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.