Multi delay pedal vs multiple pedals

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Birdinlays, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Birdinlays

Birdinlays TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

I’m considering purchasing a Source Audio Nemesis, Strymon Timeline ar DD-500. Since I like to have 2-3 different delays, am I better off to purchase 2-3 single delay pedals or a multi?

2. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Tele-Holic

I'm a fan of multi pedals in general, and currently have an Alter Ego v2, that gives me decent Ecorec, Echoplex, and DMM emulations, plus several others, all in a single pedal space. I'm also a fan of Source Audio, and have been gassing for a Nemesis since it came out, and look forward to snagging a used one when the coin allows.

There are some players that say that single pedals sound a bit better than a multi's emulations, but I think that's subjective. Singles are generally easier to dial in, not having to scroll for editing. Also, if you gig, you can have several singles pre-set to just stomp when needed. But multiple singles eat more real estate, and are less cost effective, both important considerations for me since my board's full, and my bank account's empty.

Birdinlays likes this.
  3. bluesholyman

bluesholyman Tele-Afflicted

I would think some form of [programmable] multi-delay would be the most convenient solution. If you like the sounds coming out of the box and it can cover the territory it needs to, I'd go that route. Tons of pro's out there using the Line 6 DL4 [as an example of the popularity of that type of pedal.]

The only reason I would see to use individual pedals is if you can't find those different kinds of delay sounds in a multi-box.

I'd expect the Strymon or the DD-500 would serve you well. I am not familiar with the SA Nemesis....

Birdinlays likes this.
  4. KC

KC Friend of Leo's

Alter Ego v4 gives you three different delays -- emulated vintage stuff, mostly -- plus a tap tempo button. I think it sounds good, too. Also, it was cheap as hell for a minute there.

If Lovepedal ever does another crazy weekend sale, though, three EPH-3s would be about the same size and a little cheaper. This pedal is amazing. Not for everything -- sounds like what it sounds like -- but I'm crazy about the one thing that it does.

Birdinlays likes this.
  5. mfguitar

mfguitar Tele-Holic

TC Electronic Flashback X4 Flash Back is worth looking at, 3 presets plus looper and download settings from your phone.

mrothe and Birdinlays like this.
  6. gkterry

gkterry Tele-Meister

Birdinlays likes this.
  7. mrothe

mrothe Tele-Meister

This. Had one for years and it's good.

Birdinlays likes this.
  8. joebloggs13

joebloggs13 Tele-Holic

I have a Strymon El Capistan for tape delay effects(Echoplex, Binson Echorec etc) and a Strymon DIG dual delay for everything else.

They work really well together. I think this combo, for me, is better than owning the Timeline. The only drawback is not being able to have multiple presets, a feature the Timeline has. If that is important for you, well, ultimately it's your decision.:)

Birdinlays likes this.
  9. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

Comes down to how you use your delays. I have both the TC Alter Ego x4 and the SA Nemesis and they are both very good. Both have the offline programming apps (TC Toneprint, SA Neuro) you can use to create, tweak and store your patches. I like the TC tape sims alot and the toneprint editor is superior to SA's Neuro. The Nemesis is much hipper in the midi area and can store 128 presets via midi to TC's paltry 3 presets. The Nemesis is not currently on my board but I have been daydreaming lately of the set-up below... (pedals off the board are underneath a riser for the delays and preamp). It is much better in my mind to have one powerful delay like the Nemesis than multiple single setting delay pedals. The powerful units allow MANY more options than just multiple presets. Expression pedal settings and assignments, signal Kill-Dry, holds, different mod types etc,. in fact, one setting one my Alter Ego x4 is vibe only (no delay).

I discovered that the TC is a good bridge between the two extremes. Combine it with an expression pedal and you are 90% there. I use EP-3 sims for almost all delays. I have a patch for slaps and a patch longer delays. I use the tap tempo for delay times and the expression pedal to 'mix' in the delay and mod level. All the way down on the EXP and its big, back off to lay back behind vocals etc,..This works on darn near everything I do. Rather than constantly tweaking presets, you mix it to the room on the fly even while singing.. The third preset I use for oddball stuff like vibe, swells, reverse delays etc,... slap is REALLY room dependent, you can 'throttle' it in until its just right and not a transient mess... If I add the Nemesis to my board I will use it this same way which most likely just means I will have WAY too much delay power on my board.. there are some beautiful clean delays on the Nemesis I'd like to use.

All this said, if you have 3 separate single function delays on your board, you'll have three presets, bigger foot print and much less functionality for a higher cost.... just my two cents..

58AD70B6-55FB-44FE-9F0D-7C312EAC843F.png

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Birdinlays likes this.
  10. Birdinlays

Birdinlays TDPRI Member Silver Supporter

Thanks for all your input, I’m leaning towards the SA Nemesis.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.