Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Muddy Waters Signature Series: What's it Worth?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by DesignTec, Jun 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. DesignTec

DesignTec TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Hello,

I have a MiM Muddy Waters signature series tele, made circa 2000. It's my first Tele and after having played just about everything else, I've decided that the Tele is the "right" guitar for me. I REALLY like the neck on this guitar - it doesn't feel "cramped" like my Les Paul.

I have three relatively inexpensive guitars and I'm thinking I need to sell all three and buy one good telecaster. Maybe an American.

I've looked around to try to get an idea of what the Muddy Waters is going for used, and if it's even worth selling. I haven't found any recent sales though. Mine's conditions is about an 9 out of 10. No scratches or gouges of any sort. Looks really good.

Anyone care to guess what one of these might sell for today?

2. MilwMark

MilwMark Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Apr 29, 2013
    near Arnold's
    Wait. If you really like the Muddy, why sell it for a different model Tele?

PigBoy likes this.
  3. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

4. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
  5. DesignTec

DesignTec TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
  6. DesignTec

DesignTec TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Well, I don't like a lot of things about this tele. Tuners are horrible, pickups leave something to be desired, want to reverse the toggle and pots putting the toggle at the bottom. Basically, all of the things I want would de-Muddy Waters it. I'm figuring its true value is that it's a limited edition model, not that it's all that great of a tele specimen.

7. DesignTec

DesignTec TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    It's my first tele and I acquired it in sort of an impromptu trade for an old Yamaha SG Les Paul. I didn't know anything about it then, and never really looked into it after the trade. I like the neck a lot - kind of disappointed to hear it's not available in any other Tele. Maybe I need to rethink the whole Tele thing. I just assumed it was typical of Fender necks.

8. Mike Simpson

Mike Simpson Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 19, 2006
    Gilbert, AZ (PHX)
    Similar necks are available on other models but not this exact one.

You are correct that the best value for this model is only in unmolested condition. If the original pickups are changed the value goes down a lot.

I have one, the tuners and pickups on mine are fine.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
  9. rich815

rich815 Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Earlier last year they seemed to go $750-$800, sometimes $700. Lately they seem to go mid-600's to $700, even those in great condition. Those who have these either love them or sell them fairly quickly so they're either well taken care of or sold without being used much. I'm not sure I've ever seen an ad for one not in top shape.

10. S00NERMAN

S00NERMAN Tele-Meister

Jan 7, 2016
    Pratt,KS
    Don't mean to be a noodge, but if you like the basic guitar - pickups, tuners and reversing the control plate are all things that are easily accomplished. Largely things that can be reversed later on if you do elect to sell. Otherwise if you are searching for that 10 out of 10 guitar, I say enjoy the search! Remember though that new American Pro pricing is almost what you can pick up a custom guitar for, like one from Ron Kirn. Just sayin'.

11. rze99

rze99 Friend of Leo's

Feb 26, 2014
    South London UK
  12. Bones

Bones Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I never heard of anyone not liking the pickups in these, I love mine. As far as the tuners, they are regular vintage style tuners, a very tried and true design. Depending on the condition of yours and verifying that the pickups are the originals, you could expect anywhere from $550-$850.

13. DesignTec

DesignTec TDPRI Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Fort Walton Beach, FL
    Thanks to all who replied. Rough few days here on the Gulf Coast and just getting back to the computer.

My pups, as well as the rest of the guitar is original. I would give it a solid 9 out of 10 on condition, with -1 to accommodate those guys who cannot be pleased no matter what and will drag out their electron microscopes to find something to ***** about.

The tuners disappoint me. Not a very fine ratio and they're hit or miss as to whether they'll hold. The G tuner never holds.

Another thing I don't dig are the amp tuner control knobs. The volume knob overlaps and scrapes against one of the toggle's screws. This annoys me.

The pups.... I've never had a "real" tele to compare these to, so I guess I'm not sure whether I like them or not.

Starting to think maybe I keep this and make some reversible mods to it.

Couple questions:

1. Do you guys think there is enough slack in the toggle and pot wires to reverse the controls? I can solder, so can add wire if need be. Don't want to though.
    2. If I replace the tuners, will the replacement's mounting screws line up with the existing holes? Is that a standard thing or do they all vary enough to make things difficult?
    3. What is the typical cost of having a neck re-fretted? Some of my frets are starting to get flat tops.

Thanks again...

Bill

14. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Bill,
    A few questions and suggestions for you:

A) There's not much to do about the unfavorable ratio, but I do believe that someone (not sure of the brand) makes a drop in replacement tuner with a "finer" ratio.
    B) As far "The G tuner never holds" I'm going to bet that it is not the fault of the tuner, but more likely the string binding in the nut, either because of a poorly cut slot or lack of lubrication. Try this, pull the G string out of it's slot and rub a regular pencil back & forth across the slot to fill it with graphite dust. This is a a really good standard procedure for all the strings/slots every time you change strings and/or anytime the tuning gets a little wonky! In addition, this procedure will make the tuning machines' movement feel a little bit smoother. Also a possible factor, are you aware of the specifically proper way to wrap the strings onto these vintage tuners? Wrapped improperly can certainly cause the issues you mention.
    C) If the frets are getting "Flat tops" you may want to look into having the frets leveled and crowned, as long as there is enough material for them to not be too low afterwards. Given that they are "Jumbo" frets, I'm betting there is plenty of "meat" left. Although, if the strings have not yet started to buzz at specific locations, I wouldn't worry too much about it yet. On the other hand, a good fret leveling/crowning/polishing has been known to dramatically improve the playability of almost any guitar. Most guitars should actually have this done, even brand new, out of the factory!
    D) I assume you are aware that even if the wires will reach, simply flipping the control plate around will result in the tone control being the one closest to the neck. Most folks, when doing this mod, will swap the tone and volume pot positions to put the volume pot closest to the neck. No big deal either way, just making sure you are aware.
    E) What is it that you don't like about the pickups? Have you played around with different height settings? Many single coil, and especially Tele pickups, are VERY susceptible to different height adjustments, as opposed to other sorts of pickups, like Gibson humbuckers and P-90's. There are whole universes of different sounds/tones available with this adjustment alone!
    The whole point of my questions/suggestions is that maybe you shouldn't write this guitar off yet, until you've worked on any and all issues that could help it "Be all that it can be!" Also the fact fact that in your first post you stated: "It's my first Tele and after having played just about everything else, I've decided that the Tele is the "right" guitar for me. I REALLY like the neck on this guitar - it doesn't feel "cramped" like my Les Paul."

Happy Twangin'
    Gene

S00NERMAN and PacificaChris like this.
  15. black_doug

black_doug Tele-Afflicted

I also recommend trying the fixes mentioned. I would still have a MW tele except it was too heavy. I loved everything else about it but there's not much you do about weight. The pickups were my favourite part. A pro set-up may be all you need.

skydog6653 likes this.
  16. skydog6653

skydog6653 Tele-Meister

Jan 10, 2013
    Lowell, Indiana
    Maybe he's got a bad back

17. screamin eagle

screamin eagle Friend of Leo's

Oct 9, 2008
    S. CA
    If the amp style knobs are rubbing on a control plate screw head, why not just pull the amp knob up a little so it's free from rubbing on the screw head?

18. The Ballzz

The Ballzz Tele-Holic

Apr 11, 2016
    Las Vegas, NV
    Thanks for mentioning that, as I forgot to address that issue in my long rant! :rolleyes: :D

It's A Twang Thang!
    Gene

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.