Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mounting a Guyatone Style Neck PU on my Partscaster

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by pizzapits, Sep 12, 2018.

1. pizzapits

pizzapits NEW MEMBER!

Sep 12, 2018
    Denver, CO
    Hey Everyone, apologize if this has been covered before but I couldn't find it searching through old threads. I am building out a Tele Partscaster with a body from MJT and I recently got a Guyatone Style Gold Foil Neck Pickup from Curtis Novak, which I am pumped about.

I am planning on mounting this in the neck position, which has not been routed, and was told by Curtis that no additional routing would be required and that these surface mount on top of a standard tele. After looking at the relative sizing of my neck PU pocket, I am wondering the best way to go about mounting it.

My thought would be body mounted with screws and springs into the wood at the bottom of the pocket (similar to a more vintage tele install), with longer screws and springs since the thin profile of the Novak pickup is too wide to fit into the pocket. I have heard of microphonic issues with gold foils and was thinking this configuration may not do anything to help that condition, so I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions of how they have gone about it or any other suggestions.

I've included some pictures to show the pickup width and thickness in comparison to my neck pickup pocket. Appreciate it!

IMG_1922.jpg IMG_1921.jpg

2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Welcome!

I've mounted a Teisco-style neck pickup in my Tele by installing a riser block of wood in the pickup cavity, then screwing the pickup to that. I've used vintage gold foils, those had microphonic issues, but modern ones IME don't. I also own some Novak DeArmond GF repros and they are mounted to the body wood, no issues there either.

3. pizzapits

pizzapits NEW MEMBER!

Sep 12, 2018
    Denver, CO
    BorderRadio, Thanks for the Welcome and the reply!
    In your experience, do you use springs so that you can adjust the height, or did you make the riser block the appropriate height so that you wouldn't need a height adjustment?

4. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Np. I believe I used thin weather stripping for slight height adjustments. The plan was to use thin wooden shims once I found the perfect height but that never happened :eek:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.