Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Mounting a Camera to Your Headstock

Discussion in 'Tele Home Depot' started by Nick JD, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Nick JD

Nick JD Doctor of Teleocity

I was looking for a way to do this recently that was a bit nicer on the headstock finish and stable enough to move around a little, and came across this guy's design.

Simple and effective. I'm gonna make one - just have to find a 1/4" 20 thread bolt in metic-central (the tripod mount point) and all's good. :D

I think for teles it really needs to have the clamp perpendicular to the camera stand piece... :idea: What d'ya think?

2. beep.click

beep.click Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 7, 2007
    California
    Talk about neck-heavy!

3. trev333

trev333 Doctor of Teleocity

check out the Go Pro mini surf cams with sound...

I was thinking about this today taking a few vids with a everioJVC on the table...

and thought I should mount my Go Pro on the headstock for a look down the guitar...
    a clip on tuner clip would hold it,

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Siguitar13

Siguitar13 TDPRI Member

Feb 21, 2011
    Nelson, BC
    My brother made one for his classical guitar and it's not that heavy actually

6. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
  7. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

Sep 7, 2007
    Finland
    Somehow I think there's smaller alternatives... like clip-on mic stands that you can use. This thing is huge.

8. davmac

davmac Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2003
    Wirral, UK
    If you've found something then don't keep it to yourself. I'd love to get something that could give the same result in a smaller/lighter package.

9. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany
    Hm, don't try it on a Gibson! :!::D

10. parsaver

parsaver Tele-Meister

Jul 21, 2010
    ca
    I race motorcycles and I use GOPRO cameras every time. They are small, light, and come with a variet of options to stick them on stuff. From 3M attachment pieces, suction pads, to velcro harnesses..... I've used rubber bands and duck tape to stick them on stuff.

They can record in HD with sound but cost about $200.

Sent from my DROIDX using TDPRI

11. flatfive

flatfive Friend of Leo's

Apr 23, 2009
    Monterey, CA
  12. Alamo

Alamo Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 15, 2006
    Berlin, Germany

Ronnie's guitar cam gets used during his solos.
    it's not such a big device as the DIY one.

13. Maricopa

Maricopa Friend of Leo's

Feb 4, 2009
    Phx, AZ
    What, someone hasn't asked about the effect on the tone yet?

14. melomanarock

melomanarock Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2010
    Argentina
    no need.. we all know headstock cameras are tone suckers!! you loose high end.. sustain.. tuning problems.. I hate'em :D

15. GigsbyBoyUK

GigsbyBoyUK Friend of Leo's

Apr 30, 2008
    Peterborough, UK
    If picture and sound quality isn't a huge deal, go for the key fob cameras. I love 'em.

16. varakeef

varakeef Tele-Afflicted

Sep 7, 2007
    Finland
    Well... I don't have a need for such a camera, just thinking out loud that there must be something smaller.

But when you think for example of drum mic clip stands with a goose neck, horn mic adapters, pop filters and the fact that it's just just a 1/4" thread hole under the camera...

17. kman900

kman900 Tele-Afflicted

Sep 23, 2008
    Trier, Germany
    Yup, it's a professional one . . only a small lens mounted to the headstock, the electronics and the wireless transmitter mounted to the guitar-strap. Costs at least 3 times as much as the strat.

The cheapest way is still a clamp or a piece of wood, or drill a hole in the headstock like Roy B. did . . :twisted:

:twisted:

18. Robbied_216

Robbied_216 Tele-Afflicted

Nov 25, 2008
    Sydney to L.A.
    One time a pyro tech and myself had a hair brained idea to fire some pyro off the headstock of a guitar at an event I was guitar tech for..... We used gaff.... ;)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.