Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Motorcycles

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Dog Bite, Nov 7, 2018.

1. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    I've owned a RD 400 and RZ 350 Yamahas, GT500 honda hawk, and a Triumph bonny.
    The bonny caught fire by itself.
    The RD was the most fun, but to buzzy thru the bars.
    The Hawk was waaaaay ahead of its time, but a little to gentle of a motor.
    I want me a Ducati. Thats what it was trying to be.

bottlenecker and Strat Jacket like this.
  2. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    SE Michigan, USA
    I was reminded of a post from a different forum, so here's the general history

Number 1, 1991 Ducati 907ie
    [​IMG]

#2 was an RD 350 track bike made out of three bikes (so does that make it 2, 3, &4?). It's #907, I haven't got any good pics of it
    [​IMG]

#4 was a Honda Hawk... if I have pics I don't know where they are

#5 May have been a KDX250, not sure of the exact order around this time.
    [​IMG] followed by [​IMG]

#6 1995 Ducati 900ss/cr
    [​IMG]

#6.5 Honda Ascot, FT500? The single cylinder. Was going to be a racebike. Big life event happens, project abandoned and sold.

#7 2000 Ducati 996
    [​IMG]

# 8 1974ish Ducati 750GT Before and after
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

#9, 10, 10.5 bought at the same time, both 1966 Monzas, one is a Jr. 10.5 is being built from leftover parts from these projects
    250 Monza, now a 350 but unfinished and stalled
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

160 Monza Jr
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Ducati Bitsa Yes, it's a hardtail. An early picture, progress has been made since the photo but it's another stalled project at this point. It was my answer to the over tired, underbrakes, over sized choppers that were so popular back in the day.
    [​IMG]

#12 1997 900ss/sp
    [​IMG]

#13 796 Hypermotard
    [​IMG]

#14 2015 Monster 1200S
    [​IMG]

#15 1991 Ducati 851 My dream bike back in 1991. Here it is from last Monday, it filled in for bike #16 when that one wasn't ready for a trackday.
    [​IMG]

#16 2003 Aprilia RSV Mille R Currently being set up for track use
    [​IMG]

No good pics of it in it's current state
    [​IMG]

I'm thinking I missed one or two but that's the gist of it.

Actually here's a better picture...
    [​IMG]

bear04, sean79, Dennyf and 7 others like this.
  3. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2018
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh, those Aprilias are the bee's knees...out of my tax bracket though.

4. Hags

Hags Tele-Meister

May 7, 2016
    Northwest CT
    image.jpeg "Bella" ready for an autum weekend.

bear04, sean79, Dennyf and 6 others like this.
  5. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
    no, no images , but I know that a bike ,Norton triumph, BSA, Ducati, Vincent, Victory would certainly require my plot being paid for in advance.

Strat Jacket likes this.
  6. chemobrain

chemobrain Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Nov 5, 2016
    oakland ca.
  7. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Here we go! This is a thread after my own heart. Motorbikes on a guitar forum. It just doesn’t get much better than that!

I had a basket case Gemini SST 80 when I was about 12 years old. It took a while but I managed to rebuild it and rode it around for a few years. When I was 19, I bought a used 1973 Suzuki GT 750 with expandos, slide carbs, K&N filters. It was ported and polished. It went like a bat out of hell.

When I turned 22 I bought a 1985 GSXR 750 which I still own. I insure it year round and do at least one 4 or 5 day road trip on it. This year my season was cut short due to health issues but I still did a 4 day ride on her.

Currently, I have the following bikes:
    1985 GSXR 750
    1986 GSXR 750R Limited Edition
    1989 GSXR 750RR (rare as hen’s teeth) project bike. Mid assembly.

Here’s my 85 GSXR in summer 1986

5AD3E949-7165-4F52-BDE0-048818533D88.jpeg

Here she is from last year all prepared for a road trip

92513BB4-4F14-4578-A48F-0AA617D302C2.jpeg

This year on a trip up to Jasper Alberta

D9965312-51DB-422F-BBDB-BA3379DB52B0.jpeg

Here’s the 89 GSXR 750RR in progress and the 86 GSXR 750R Limited tucked in behind

A245E079-8B66-4454-B430-93FECD4C6848.jpeg

I’ve got some better photos of the limited. I'll have to find them and post them. The limited has a dry clutch so it does that cool ca-ching, ca-ching, click, click, click, Ching, Ching, Ching thing while you’re idling. It’s a pretty cool bike. 100% stock.

Yeahaw! Let’s ride!

Attached Files:

rz350, sean79, Dennyf and 5 others like this.
  8. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    AMA 16c - then to a national club .

9. rad1

rad1 Tele-Holic

Aug 5, 2015
    Santa Cruz CA

I love the look of the Thruxton!

And that ninja, well I taught for 15 years and the most popular starter bike was the Ninja 250 and I thought is was a great idea to make it a 300. And looks are great.

See those bikes, I surprised your wife does not own a Ducati Monster, very popular bikes for woman.

John Backlund and Strat Jacket like this.
  10. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Apr 17, 2006
    Back at the Beach
    Nice rides everyone. I've had a bunch too. I'm going to look for some photos. But my favorites were a 76 Yamaha TT500 and a 1980 Suzuki GS100ES.

11. DesmoDog

DesmoDog Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2010
    SE Michigan, USA
    New one's maybe, but used? They're dirt cheap. Take the RSV for instance. Ohlins suspension front and rear, Ohlins steering damper, Brembo radial calipers up front, forged aluminum Oz wheels. Titanium exhaust system. Under $4k. Easily half what an similarly equipped Ducati would run. Granted I have more into it now that it's set up for the track, but I could have skipped the bodywork and spent $3.50 on a roll of duct tape instead, would have performed about the same for track day use.

A buddy has a V4 Tuono that's pretty much the same story, only he is still running the street set up.

John E, bottlenecker and Strat Jacket like this.
  12. Strat Jacket

Strat Jacket Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2018
    Land of Lincoln
    Oh...this is Show and Tell? My bad...I didn't post any pix. How gauche...let's see if I can find some...

Here's the Nighthawk "S" last summer...

[​IMG]

...A rather crude shot of the SECA 550 on the lift...

[​IMG]

...the Cyclone with the KZ1000 in the background...

[​IMG]

...and finally, another shot of the Buell (with some dork holding it up)

[​IMG]

guitrr, sean79, Dennyf and 7 others like this.
  13. coloradojeff

coloradojeff Tele-Holic

Feb 17, 2012
    Colorado
    Here's mine....sadly all gone now. Harley Sportster, Honda RC51, Harley Road Glide, Triumph Speed Triple... loved them all! jeffgarage.jpg

sean79, Dog Bite, awasson and 3 others like this.
  14. Zepfan

Zepfan Poster Extraordinaire

Nov 30, 2013
    Horn Lake, MS
    Started off with a Honda QA-50 when I was 10 and then a Honda 50 Elsinore.
    Then a Suzuki 80
    Yamaha YZ125
    Then it was my Chevy Nova
    Then family guy that didn't have a bike or hot rod til I turned 40.
    1981 Honda 750-4 that I got for cheap to get reacquainted with motorcycles then sold it for twice the amount I paid for it.
    Then I got a sad sack 1985 Yamaha 700 Maxim that had been dropped on each side and the gauges were trashed. I rebuilt it and did some customization. I removed the PITA CV Carbs, made some custom 2 into 1 intake manifolds, installed a couple of 32mm Mikuni Round Slide Carbs with pod filters and made some mufflers for it. Made a high back sissy bar, added 2 tail light/brake light assemblies, customized the rear fender, made forward controls, replaced the gauges with a single gauge, new headlight assembly, new blinkers and new electrical box for the wiring.
    I painted it Chevy Orange and Black with fast flames first and then got tired of that. I stripped it, painted the frame and motor Black, painted the tank,fenders and side pieces Gold and topped the Gold with Candy Red Metalflake. Something didn't dry/cure right and the Red cracked all up while the bike sat in the sun.:mad:
    It was a fast bike for a 700, only weighs about 500 lbs.
    Had to quit riding as I could no longer trust that my legs would hold me and the bike up when coming to a stop. Hasn't run in 4 years, sitting in the back yard covered with a tarp going to crap.

Attached Files:

15. Jammin'John

Jammin'John Tele-Afflicted

Mar 20, 2003
    Tug Hill Plateau
    I ride a Vulcan 2000 and a Stratoliner.

Attached Files:

sean79, tery, Dog Bite and 3 others like this.
  16. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
  17. Tony474

Tony474 Poster Extraordinaire

Apr 16, 2007
    North Bushey, England.
    Lovely machine. I owned a slightly later but extremely similar R100S for a while around 30 years ago.

18. Ash Telecaster

Ash Telecaster Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have a Boulevard. I just got rid of my Magna as I needed a better two up ride. Its not a high end bike by any stretch of the imagination but I think its pretty nice for the money. Im sorry riding season is over, I was really enjoying it. The one pictured isnt mine but its a lot like it. Mine has bags and glass and a back rest.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Dennyf, tery, Dog Bite and 4 others like this.
  19. bottlenecker

bottlenecker Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2015
    Wisconsin
    Strat Jacket likes this.
  20. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Photos of my 1986 GSXR 750R Limited. I bought it in 2008 as a bit of a basket case. It had good bones but the dry clutch had blown up and it needed a full going through. All stock and less than 30,000 Kms so I was happy to make the investment.

Rebuilding the dry clutch with a hub/basket and pressure plate from an Ebay seller in California. Brand spanking NOS clutch plates with zero miles from a buddy in Oklahoma, springs custom made in Ontario and fasters from Fastenal.

IMG_1724.jpg

Working and fettling in the shop

IMG_1731.jpg

Freshly insured after about 15 years after the previous owner busted the clutch. Needs paint on the front fairing and a new heat shield on the muffler. Carbs were ultrasonically cleaned and new carb kits, jets, etc...

IMG_1739.jpg

Out for a ride with some pals. We put about 350kms on her that day.

IMG_1762.jpg

sean79, Dennyf, tery and 4 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.