Most famous person you've met?

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by metalicaster, Nov 2, 2016.

1. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Tele-Afflicted

Randy Bachman - Ran in to him at a bar in Twin Falls, Id. He was following the Olympic torch in 1984.
    Evel Knievel - Snake River Canyon jump. He used to hang out at the Blue Lakes Country Club in Twin Falls, Id. I got his autgraph "Happy Landings".
    Don Johnson - Sat next to him at a during lunch at a restaurant in San Francisco.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
    texastengu, Tazz3 and troy2003 like this.
  2. jmiles

jmiles Friend of Leo's

Drove Frank Zappa around Milwaukee for a few days. Took him to a very trad German restaurant one evening. What a hoot that was! Kareem Jabbar was my neighbor.

Rock-Ola and Tazz3 like this.
  3. VWAmTele

VWAmTele Friend of Leo's

George Steinbrenner, Patti Boyd.

Tazz3 likes this.
  4. 26and385

26and385 TDPRI Member

Toss up between Al Unser Jr and Yo Yo Ma. Both were as friendly and as outgoing as could be. Met Al in the pits in Nazereth PA after a race, he was just hanging out talking to anyone who came over. Met Yo Yo Ma on a business trip to Switzerland, he was two seats in front of me. We chatted for a while before we went through customs.

Tazz3 likes this.
  5. GuitarGeorge

GuitarGeorge Tele-Meister

Johnny Carson

Tazz3 likes this.
  6. Doug 54

Doug 54 Poster Extraordinaire

Scotty Anderson

00HEFF and Tazz3 like this.
  7. soulgeezer

soulgeezer Poster Extraordinaire

I scared the Hell out of Yoko Ono once...

I was driving the artists from the dressing rooms to the stage at the Amnesty International concert at the Meadowlands Stadium. Yoko was afraid to get on the back of the cart, so I assured it didn't go very fast and I'd be very careful. When I stepped on the starter, the cart lurched forward. Yoko jumped off the back, turned, glared at me with daggers shooting out of her eyes, and refused to ride the cart to the stage.

It wasn't on purpose, but it's a memory I'll aways have -- The look on Yoko's face was the same look as every Beatles fan, when she broke up the band!

Poetic justice, I say.

faulp, Nightclub Dwight, tery and 7 others like this.
  8. uriah1

uriah1 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Not much to it. Sort of spacey talk in hotel motel lobby. 72 or 73

9. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

I once dropped my cigarette while talking to Mark Kozelek, then of the Red House Painters, before their show in St. Louis. He kindly picked it up for me and gave it back to me. And since we're going with a flexible idea of "met," I saw Jim Brown--THE Jim Brown--in a men's room in the Red Robin in Jackson, TN, a couple of months ago.

I can't imagine any other way that Mark Kozelek and Jim Brown could ever make it into the same paragraph again.

Tazz3 likes this.
  10. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

That's when I knew, I had to have her!

Fendereedo and Tazz3 like this.
  11. Steve Ouimette

Steve Ouimette Tele-Holic

Sat next to Bill Gates on the way home from COMDEX one year. I worked at Microsoft at the time and saw him around a lot. He used to come into Barnes and Noble in Bellevue all the time. Talked to him briefly in line at the Starbucks that was there. We talked about guitar for 30 seconds or so.

Met Gene Simmons when I worked on Guitar Hero and he was doing the voiceover for it (I was the composer for the animated cutscenes he was on). Nice guy to me.

My friend is a longtime friend of Buckethead and I've always wanted to meet him. "Bucket" is an interesting guy from everything I've heard. One day...

Tazz3 and uriah1 like this.
  12. JustABluesGuy

JustABluesGuy Friend of Leo's

I've met SRV and Billy Gibbons, as well as an ex-president (who will go unnamed!).

faulp, Tazz3 and uriah1 like this.
  13. dented

dented Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

John and Pilar Wayne, George Lucas, Keanu Reeves, Adrien Brody, Jenna Elfman, Wanda Sykes and many more. I have had lunch at the same table with each one or dinner. Oh, and I got sauced with Tone Loc at a Lakers game....lol There are many more...just fun stuff...nothing too serious.

Tazz3 likes this.
  14. Kazer

Kazer Tele-Meister

King Diamond in a Boston record store.

Tazz3 and Sollipsist like this.
  15. texastengu

texastengu Tele-Holic

Being a hard core guitar and music junkie I never thought of any musician as anything more than a kindred spirit in the pursuit of the groove. That being said I've done the tightened up with any and all participants anywhere anytime. One such incident was working with Chuck Berry at Hollywood Palladium in 1974. A very easygoing and nice fella who invited me to stop by his place if I was ever in his neck of the woods he played a hell of an energetic show that night and was still kicking out the jams at midnight.

Tazz3 likes this.
  16. Kazer

Kazer Tele-Meister

Oh, and, I've never met him but I'm related to Samuel Clemmons.

Nightclub Dwight and Tazz3 like this.
  17. studio

studio Poster Extraordinaire

You and I can trade stories all day I betcha.
    I was a stagehand for 15 years here in the Southern California area.
    You could imagine all the dungeons i could get into.

I used to keep all my backstage passes hanging off of my rear view mirror.
    One time I needed to get into a parking lot to get to work and the security
    guy asks for my pass, I pointed to my collection hanging off the mirror and asked him,
    "Which one?" He let me right through.

Let's see, famous people, non politicians, hmmmm.
    Well, I'll say this for starters, I used to do a whole
    lot of press conferences and one offs for lots of
    "government people" on their campaigning. I guess that's all I can say on that matter.

So, back to famous people.......

I had breakfast, lunch and dinner with Janet Jackson for months.
    Every day, for rehearsals.

Hung out with Rod Stewart and Rod Stewart's dad while the boy was rehearsing inside
    Ren Mar Studios.

The list is really too large to name them all and really not that exciting
    to rack my brain for. All of it has been work related so the less I remember
    the better off I am.

Tom Cruise: Stage Manager at some awards show. Literally had to
    hold on to his jacket so he didn't walk away for his cue.

Whoopi Goldberg
    Jamie Lee Curtis
    Bette Midler

Just off the top of my head.......

Plus, a bigger list of people who would like to be considered famous but are not.

Tazz3 and uriah1 like this.
  18. '64 Tele

'64 Tele Tele-Holic

Played in backing band for Ronnie Dunn (Brooks and Dunn) back in 1984 when he was a solo artist. Drummer was Jamie Oldaker (Eric Clapton's drummer from 461 Ocean Boulevard and the next ten years). When I figured out who the drummer was, I was a little nervous, but he was a REALLY nice guy. Spent a couple hours between sound check and show talking with Jamie and hearing tales of the road with EC. Quite an experience.

19. John Nicholas

John Nicholas Friend of Leo's

Since I don't work in the entertainment business like studio or soulgeezer, my list is no where near as extensive...

I was friends with Lynn Goldsmith (photographer... just Google her) and she invited me to hang out at Jones Beach while she took photos. When I got there I found myself on the wings of the stage while Pat Benetar played her butt off. Then Lynn dragged me off to the parking lot and banged on the side of a motorhome. Steve Miller opened the door!

Lynn ran off to talk to his wife while I tried to keep my composure and talk to Steve without drooling like a fan boy... really nice guy.

Another "close encounter" a friend called me to work a week on the film Other People's Money in CT. I was in a full time job at the time, so it was an "emergency" vacation cal to my boss on Friday night.

My "job" was to help dress 200 extras for a crowd scene. After they were all dressed the other folks on the team all pull books out of their bags, sat down and started reading. There was no way I was going to do that, so I asked for something else to do. After cleaning up and rearranging the wardrobe truck, returning props, putting costumes in trailers and some other silly jobs, to get "rid" of me they gave me these giant parkas and said to give them to the principal actors when the director yelled cut. It was about 20 degrees and everyone was wearing very light clothing.

So for most of the week I gave coats to Gregory Peck, Piper Laurie and Dean Jones. Gregory Peck was an amazing gentleman, we spoke quite a bit.

On the last day I spent the afternoon with Penelope Ann Miller, she was in a dress and light coat, I had on like 6 layers! She had to do one scene over and over again. After doing it a couple of times, she asked if I run over to her as she was freezing, of course I obliged.

A few more takes and she asked if I'd hold her hand while she ran back to the camera to watch playback.... interesting afternoon!

Tazz3 likes this.
  20. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Ad Free Member

I met a lot of relatively famous people working in Silicon Valley during my career. Probably the most famous one of all, would once in a while pop onto my office to yell at me for being such a stupid engineer.

Once in a very rare while, he would come into my office and tell me that I'm a hero.

Yup.;)

Rock-Ola and Tazz3 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.