Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Most disappointing pedal purchase?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Driveout02, Mar 9, 2010.

1. telebuc

telebuc Tele-Meister

Aug 20, 2010
    earth
    Farndurk Burgs compressor. So glad to be rid of that one.

2. telefunken

telefunken Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Dec 27, 2004
    North Hollywood
    VooDoo Lab Super Fuzz
    Had it for years but could never find a good sound. I bought a MI Audio Neo Fuzz and a Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face..............and sold that sucka' immediately:D

3. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

Feb 10, 2009
    The West
    my biggest pedal disappointment would have to be the newer RAT pedals, however, in the last few months i scored a vintage RAT from 1985 with the LM308 chip, and it's a totally different beast. Night and day difference and the '85 is a keeper. Not fizzy and thin like the new ones, more like an old JCM800.

4. GaryMc44

GaryMc44 TDPRI Member

Mar 10, 2011
    Southern Ontario
    Just sold an old Rat pedal that i wanted to love but couldnt also little EH holy Grail...I like my Boss RV-3 better!

5. Wrong-Note Rod

Wrong-Note Rod Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    atlanta
    I used to be in a band with a guy who had an old Rat pedal that he used into an old head and 4x12 cab... I cant remember what they were, but they werent top of the line.

Anyway, it sounded fantastic.

I've since had two or three and cant get them to sound like that.

they ought to change their slogan to "More fuzz than a 70s Penthouse Pet"

6. basher

basher Tele-Afflicted

Jun 7, 2007
    Washington, DC
    There's my whole pedalboard, from right to left. Well, except my tuner. Anybody have any hate for the Planet Waves tuner? I'd hate for the poor thing to feel left out.

7. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    ^^^ That's funny and great- if it works for you, it works!

Rock ON!

8. Mr Kite

Mr Kite Tele-Meister

Nov 28, 2010
    UK
    Well my setup is:

Fulltone SoulBender (so far so good)
    Fulltone Fat Boost 3 (oh no, people hate it!)
    Fulltone OCD (Oh no, people REALLY hate it!)
    Barber LTD Silver (Oh no, someone hated it)
    Barber Tone Press (Phew...)
    Boss Tu-2 (phew...)
    Electro-Harmonix Memory Boy (Oh NO!)
    Line 6 DL-4 (so far, lucky!)

And I thought I had tone I liked? My God, what will I do!!!

In all seriousness my most disappointing pedal purchase was a zvex fuzz factory. Without all politically incorrect, it reminded me of a girlfriend I once had who one day would beg me to stay at home in bed all day, and the next day tell me I was dirty and she wanted nothing to do with it...

9. GuitarHack

GuitarHack Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2010
    Oroville, Ca
    What's all the hate for fat boost? Just curious. I bought it on recommendation and use it for what it is, a clean boost with mild equalization. The only complaint I have heard is that it doesn't give enough distortion.

10. RaistMagus

RaistMagus Tele-Holic

Dec 31, 2010
    Denmark/Greece
    Let's keep in mind that disappontment means expectations.vs.reality. The thread title reads 'disappointment' but the thread turned into 'worst pedal ever'. Still useful enough for most of us :)

I got both the Boss CS-3 and the MXR Dynacomp. I still can't see any reason why anyone would do this to his sound. I've spent hours tweaking everything. Tried single coils, humbuckers, cleans, overdrive, playing softly, playing hard, tube amp, ss amp....

Can't find any use for these so popular pedals. Maybe it's just me.

Btw loving the new MXR phase 90. It would be nice if it had a mix/level knob, still I'm far from disappointed.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011

11. zoppotrump

zoppotrump Tele-Afflicted

Jan 12, 2005
    nuernberg, germany
    it´s years ago, the boss CS-3 was the most disappointing purchase i made - pedalwise.
    i sold it the next day and gotback to my CS-2

12. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    Wow. That's actually the only Boss pedal I ever liked! I use it to fatten up the single coil bridge pu on my Strat. With the treble at nine o'clock, bass at around noon, level three o'clock to maxed and gain up just a hair before hiss/hum starts - I can get a really nice heavy Rock tone. Something I was unable to do with lot's of other pedals including more expensive boutique stuff!

I will say that with humbuckers it's Heavy Metal city which is not my cup of tea.

13. hotrodkid

hotrodkid Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2011
    South Florida
    I've had too many bad pedals to list. But the ones that come to mind as the most disappointing are also the one's that were somewhat expensive and overly hyped. For me they are:

1. Z Vex Fuzz Factory. WTF! I guess I'm not much of a fuzz guy.
    2. Barber Direct Drive. I fell for the hype back then. Flat & lifeless IMO.
    3. Keeley Modified Boss BD-2 Blues Driver. Too brittle/harsh. TS much better.
    4. Catalin Bread Dirty Little Secret. Hyped as a Marshall in a box. Really?

The good thing is on all those pedals.. I was able to flip them on ebay w/minimal loss.

14. bawdyli'lmonkey

bawdyli'lmonkey Tele-Holic

Jan 17, 2010
    ohio
    personally disappointing pedals in no particular order:

Tonebone Tri-mode - great concept, used it for several months, but ultimately more pain than pleasure to use. most parameters are shared by both channels limiting tone options. and it requires different power than normal pedals.

Digitech Hot Rod distortion and Tone Driver OD - claim that they emulate 3 famous pedals each, but do little more than sweep mids from scoop to hump while the tone knob is "parametric" meaning "if I could stop the knob at 12:04:37 it would sound great, but the second hand is jumping from :37 to :49 and it goes from poo to different sounding poo." sold them both.

danelectro fab tone - the burgundy tank of the 90's era. I thought I was getting something like a DS-1 only with treble and bass knobs, what I got was the pedal equivalent of someone WHO TYPES IN CAPS ALL THE TIME. and man does it color the tone. still have it though.

15. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Tele-Afflicted

Dec 13, 2010
    Fullerton CA
    Danelectro Shift Daddy.
    Please don't laugh too hard.

16. NashTel177

NashTel177 Tele-Meister

Feb 1, 2012
    Beaumont, TX
    Digitech Digidelay, I know it's cheap but I read a lot of good reviews on it. It is a terrible delay, mine made a lot of noise, especially if I used the tap tempo.

17. Carvalho Diablo

Carvalho Diablo Tele-Meister

Jan 2, 2011
    TLW GF
    EHX Signal Pad - what on earth was I thinking ?!

Line 6 Constrictor Compressor - just an awful pedal. Poor build quality and it died on it's debut, 1 song from the end of the set of an important gig for us.

I replaced that junk with a Moen Unicomp (which is fantastic), and I'll never buy another Line 6 product again.

18. TheBigKevDogg

TheBigKevDogg Tele-Meister

Jun 16, 2005
    Los Angeles
    my visual sound route 66 - i really thought it sounded terrible. the OD side was mediocre, and I was never able to dial in the comp side.

19. stevehyphen

stevehyphen Tele-Meister

Sep 26, 2011
    Newfoundland
    Dunlop Crybaby.

It's not that I was disappointed with the the unit, I just ended up not like wah pedals.

20. dblues

dblues Tele-Holic

Apr 3, 2011
    smyrna tn
    Years ago all the good country pickers in my area were using compressor/sustainers so I picked up a BOSS cs1. I could get good sounds with it everywhere except in a live situation. Since it worked so bad and did nothing for me I decided to buy a DOD fx80b cs. The results were pretty much the same and believe it or not neither of these pedals did much to improve my meager country chops. Fast forward to recently when I saw someone praising the cs1 in their CL add and asking way more then I paid for mine. Got both pedals out and dusted 'em off. Sold the BOSS for a little more then I paid for it and got no takers on the DOD. After fooling around with both of them to make sure they worked I found I preferred the DOD anyway. Still don't feel the need to use it much. I really can't say there was anything bad or wrong with either one of these pedals. I'm just not a compression kinda guy.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.