Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Most disappointing pedal purchase?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Driveout02, Mar 9, 2010.

1. damaged

damaged Tele-Meister

I'm curious to what od you went with to fill the void of the ocd?

2. damaged

damaged Tele-Meister

I had that pedal and tried it all different ways with 2 dif amps and guitars and had no joy until I used it with single coils in a strat! That's the sound that other people were talking about! No luck with humbuckers.

3. damaged

damaged Tele-Meister

Mi audio crunch box, could not get along with my setup which was a shame. Worth mentioning that it still sounded great when played at band volume with drums etc. I have the mi tube zone also pretty much the same deal, great for intended band use, not so good for at home quiet rig.

4. Anchoret

Anchoret Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2004
    California
    Against tough competition (I hate most pedals), maybe this.

5. GuitarHack

GuitarHack Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2010
    Oroville, Ca
    Which fat boost did you use. I think I've got the III. At first I didn't like it because I tried to make an overdrive pedal, but then I learned how to use it properly. That pedal is on all the time when I play.

6. Saljam

Saljam Tele-Meister

Jan 12, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Boss Powerstack....... Way too much hiss and hum for me.

7. WrapAround

WrapAround Tele-Holic

May 17, 2003
    Mine was Lovepedal COT. :p

8. Tonemaster

Tonemaster Tele-Afflicted

Jan 6, 2008
    Ontario
    TS9 was also a disapointment. Had it modded and everything. The mid hump is a real pain. my The Zendrive is twice the OD.

T.

9. sgoodacre

sgoodacre Tele-Meister

May 19, 2011
    North Carolina
    I have to disagree with you on this one I'm afraid. I love my fat boost - have it on almost all the time. Have you tried it with a fulldrive 2? One of my favorite setups is the have the distortion and the fatboost one and then use the boost on the FD-2 to really get an absurd amount of mid-boost. If mine broke, I would get another one on the same day - love it, love it, love it!

10. GuitarHack

GuitarHack Tele-Holic

Dec 30, 2010
    Oroville, Ca
    Fatboost is my favorite pedal

11. BGLeduc

BGLeduc TDPRI Member

Sep 9, 2011
    New Mexico
    +1, although not for hiss or hum, but I just could not get a good sound out of it through my Blues Jr. or my Orange DT.

The tones that Andy gets on the ProGuitarShop demo are amazing, and totally sold me, but I could not find anything in the same zip code as that demo, and flipped it on eBay.

I went with an OCD, and it sounds amazing through the Blues Jr. with a humbucker or P90 LP, as well as a CV50. A lot of folks sure don't care for the OCD, but it works for me, and is even better stacked with a Green Rhino.

Brian

12. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    OCD never really created a void as such, I did not have it very long (3 weeks?), and I think it, and me were simply not compatible.
    I cannot explain really.
    It did not make me feel like I sounded better. It made me feel like I sounded worse. It was a me and an OCD thing. Not an OCD thing.
    A bit too grainy in a harsh way - to my ear - and well... kind of splatty. Too much bass. Whoa .. I'll stop right there as there are many far greater players than me who love their OCD and use it to ice their cake.

What replaced it?

Well .. initially a Maxon OD-820 which I had an option to keep, but chose not to.
    (nice - though, it is what it is - a high end, and pricey TS)

I have since settled on a Boss (yup ..) OD-3
    I really like it. It definitely has its own thing going on. And I like that thing going on.
    And I still like my trusty ol' TS-808 clone too.

13. jmcfender1

jmcfender1 Tele-Holic

May 6, 2011
    Appalachian Mtns
    EVH Script Phase...he used it well but it never really came to good use with my sound. Anyone interested in it can pm me. It's a good pedal, does it's job well, just not my style.

14. pat10295

pat10295 Tele-Meister

Jun 3, 2011
    Sicklerville, NJ
    Don't get me wrong. I LOOOOOVVVVEEEE MXR PEDALS. They are actually my favorite effects company but the Classic Overdrive (M-66) was a dissapointment. I was just about to pull the trigger on a GT-OD when I read that the M-66 was a GTOD AND a ZW44 in a box, so I bought it. When I received it I flipped the internal switch to the ZW44 setting. Too much fizzy highs. Flipped it back, was a little better, bit more miss. BOTH the settings had no clarity at all. Ended up trading it for a Distortion+ (WHICH I LOVE and is forever on my board)

15. g'ter guy

g'ter guy Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2010
    Socal
    Every boss Pedal I ever tried. lol, no not really, though i tend to not like anything they have put out. It would have to be a combintation of two pedals actually. I had a Rocktron Hush that I replaced a Behringer NR300 with and the hush didn't reduce, gate or anything unless I turned it all the way up and it sucked a ton of tone and volume. Then I replaced that with a circa 1984 Boss NF-1 Noise Gate and it blew chunks in quite the same way but only did half the "gating" that the hush did. neither one killed off single coil hum or anything. Now I got an MXR Smart Gate, and I'm not going to say that My noise problems are gone, but it works a ton better than the last two I had. The only thing the MXR is better than the Behringer for is that the Behringer takes tiny bit longer to start gating. I may try and NS-2 next, if not then I'll try out a decimator, but the MXR will work for now.

16. lareplus

lareplus Tele-Afflicted

Mar 9, 2010
    tucson, az
    Too many to list, however, the biggest disappointment was the Ottava Magus. .

17. smoss469

smoss469 Tele-Afflicted

Oct 12, 2007
    West Virginia
    Devi Ever Aenima Fuzz. Not bad sounding, however the volume is soooo insane it's too loud to play at home.

Assume that 7 o'clock is 0 output. Unity output is about 7:03.

I'm debating cracking it open and adding a resistor across the volume pots so I can get a smaller output with a better sweep. But for now, it's sits in the pedal tote, unloved and unused.

18. g'ter guy

g'ter guy Tele-Meister

Sep 11, 2010
    Socal
    :eek: did you put them int he microwave? I have had six find their way on and off my board, but not for any reason other than I replaced it with a better pedal or decided not to use it anymore.

19. redstringuitar

redstringuitar Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 6, 2009
    Wales

20. Teleworshipkid

Teleworshipkid Friend of Leo's

Mar 20, 2011
    Newport Beach, CA
    Yeah I've had problems with mine too but I've heard there were some easy mods??? Something about duct tape...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.