Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Most disappointing pedal purchase?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Driveout02, Mar 9, 2010.

1. DirtyMacSpecial

DirtyMacSpecial Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2011
    Omaha, NE (U.S)
    I would have to say the Dano Chicken Salad, could barely hear the thing even with the "intensity" all the way up....

By the way to all the Phase 90 haters out there, I was the same way too and found my perfect phase in the script logo phase 45 (74 handwired re-issue), now i cant even play without it

2. DirtyMacSpecial

DirtyMacSpecial Tele-Meister

Oct 3, 2011
    Omaha, NE (U.S)
    and agree with TQK- best phase ever and the best way to mod it for a board would be cut a little hole in the side of the case and just wire a 9v adapter jack they have in like a one spot pack through the hole...only thing i dont like about the pedal is a lack of LED

3. telepath

telepath Friend of Leo's

Jun 26, 2009
    Wales, UK
    Fulltone OCD.
    I treated myself to something I'd wanted for ages, and had long time researched.

I just didnt get on with it. At all.
    I tried for a few weeks - home and jamming loud.
    It went back before the return period ended.

Clearly it is a much loved OD , favoured by many great players.
    Not the one for me!

4. Lazloryder

Lazloryder Tele-Meister

Oct 4, 2011
    los ángeles, Ca
    Fulltone Wah. Super noisy when wah engaged.

5. twangplank

twangplank Tele-Afflicted

May 29, 2010
    Valliant Okla
    Cry baby wah pedal. Its just too harsh and nasal sounding.

6. Michel347

Michel347 Tele-Meister

Nov 9, 2011
    Montreal
    A Rockman Distortion Generator

**Edited**

Ok, I'll rephrase that, this was meant to be used in front of an SS amp. Not bad in that case. But it has a voice (Boston sound) that is really hard to change, so not pretty versatile.
    I've never been able to use it with any tube amps, way too noisy with tube.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2011

7. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    morley bad horsie wah....more like bad horsie fail.

8. burtonfan

burtonfan Tele-Afflicted

Feb 16, 2010
    michigan
    1. Line 6 Pocket Pod
    2. Tube Works "Real Tube" Distortion (JUNK!!)
    3. Danelectro 7 Band EQ (aka "green olive and mustard sandwich", or whatever they call it!):confused:

9. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

May 31, 2011
    Highland, Utah
    I think something that would help this thread is a "why was it disappointing" not just "My (insert pedal name here) sux"

It could be beneficial to everyone to find out why exactly the pedal doesn't cut it, so we don't all make the same mistakes :rolleyes:

10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    ^^ I understand your point, good idea about backing things up with some info/opinion.

But it may come down to taste/playing style and folks just have to try things out for themselves and find out the hard way...I noticed you posted you did not like the Boss DD-3 Delay, and I have been using mine and loving it for 11 years! Sounds like we might have 2 completely different testimonials...

Noticed some have posted they can't stand the OCD and we all know how popular that OD is. Someone obviously likes these alot! But I don't care for it, not because there is anything wrong with it, I just don't find its tone (as in the distortion produced or how it distorts my amp plus it's genreal EQ) is compatible for my styles- The OCD just 'rocks harder' than I do, but I'm not gonna knock it, it's a great rock pedal, IMO

Now if something is obvious junk, or sounds terrible, falling apart- that's a different story. I have just found that one's sound is really individual, intimate and you just have to try stuff out...

11. Charlie Davis

Charlie Davis TDPRI Member

Aug 3, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    For all of us who ever expected great things from the Digitech, Danelectro, or Behringer boxes, that is kind of a "shame on us" situation.

We've all owned bad pedals, but the one I was most disappointed in was the ZVex Box of Rock. I've heard it sound great for other people and all my friends loved it (sold it to one of them). Definitely a great pedal but I was disappointed when it didn't work for me.

12. jeremypodom

jeremypodom Tele-Afflicted

Nov 5, 2010
    Pflugerville
    I have to +1 the multi wave distortion. Cool idea, excellently constructed, but the thing just sounds weird. I was expecting a unique and usable distortion but it was so odd. I sold it within a few days of buying. I don't know how anyone would find use for it.

13. Dr. Pants

Dr. Pants Banned

Jun 27, 2011
    HERE
    Fulltone:

Fatboost 3
    Fulldrive
    OCD

14. TeleSky

TeleSky Tele-Holic

May 31, 2011
    Highland, Utah
    I agree. All posts need to be taken with a grain of salt. I may have had a faulty dd-3 unit, as i've tried the dd-5 and i liked it, but ultimately settled on the TC Nova Repeater. I too don't necessarily fancy the OCD (though i've found ONE setting that works for me, and I leave it there).
    Trying stuff out is the only true way of deciding on what pedal works for you, but this thread could be helpful (to some, not all) in deciding what pedals to try, or not to try. :)

15. coldwar1977

coldwar1977 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2011
    Belgium
    My most disappointing purchase ever: Fulldrive 2

The "vintage" mode sounded awful to me. I only liked the compcut setting.
    I really tried hard to get along with that pedal, but it never happened.

16. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Friend of Leo's

Mar 29, 2007
    Manassas Park, VA
    ^^ Agree! I always do like to explain (and I get a little wordy) either here or to my guitar buddies why I like or don't like something- go into detail... (some care, some could care less;))

I know for me it always ends up with me trying to find a pedal (in most cases an OD pedal) that 'hits ALL the bases' (or whatever) in terms of- sound/affordability/features (sometimes you get too much!)/ease of use/size/TB/buffers...which is good thing, but I know I suffer from the "grass is always greener" disease

17. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

Jul 17, 2007
    Virginia
    I dont remember why I hated the bad horsie I had one like 20 years ago. Thats really the only pedal I didnt like.

18. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Tele-Holic

Sep 24, 2010
    Houston, Texas
    Cry baby wah. Sweep range too short and a huge tone sucker.

19. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2003
    Fort Collins, CO
    DOD Supra Distortion. It sounded pretty good in the store, but I didn't buy that one. I ordered one from a catalog. I used it for about a year but always wondered what was wrong with my tone. I sold it to some kid who hated me for selling it to him. I didn't force him to buy it.

BOSS Metal Zone. I even had it modded by a famous boutique pedal guy. I traded it for a Barber Direct Drive. Both of us were happy with the deal.

I couldn't get my Zendrive to sound good when I first got it. But all of a sudden I stumbled upon its sweet spot and it sounds perfectly amazing to me now. A keeper for sure.

20. manuthedude

manuthedude NEW MEMBER!

Nov 11, 2011
    Same here! The MK I was awesome but the GV-2 blows... I think it spent 5 mins total in the chain... =)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.