Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Most disappointing pedal purchase?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by Driveout02, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Driveout02

Driveout02 TDPRI Member

Dec 21, 2009
    Omaha, NE
    What's the worst pedal you've ever bought? I had extremely high hopes for a Danelectro pedal that came out a few years ago that was half tremolo/half chorus and it was unusable. Chorus never sounded lush, just wobbly. Tremolo was choppy, never subtle. You guys have any big regret pedals?

2. Radspin

Radspin Friend of Leo's

Mar 7, 2008
    Long Island, NY
    A reissue RAT I bought about three years ago. I bought it on impulse and once I started rehearsing and gigging with it, I realzed i couldn't stand it--it sounded tinny and harsh no matter how I set it. I know older RATs use different chips and components and are considered to be better sounding.

A Fulltone OCD V3--i thought it sounded good in the store, but with a band it always sounded "fake" and bass-heavy to me, and the volume control was lousy--a small turn of the pot gave a big volume boost and I used it with the volume most of the way down. However, I've seen other people sing its praises. (I had no problem selling it on eBay.) For reference, I used BF and SF Fender amps ('65 Princeton Reverb, '64 Bandmaster, late '60s Dual Showman Reverb) with these pedals.

3. Mark N

Mark N Tele-Afflicted

digitech compressor...noisy and nothing close to what I was looking for

4. guitarzan13

guitarzan13 Friend of Leo's

Jul 25, 2006
    LaGrange, GA
    Dan-O Psycho Flange..... Too much at even the lowest settings......I could not get it off of my board fast enough!!

5. Faraldi

Faraldi Tele-Afflicted

Aug 11, 2009
    Barnegat, NJ
    +1

Nothing like the one I had in the 80's

6. Telesavalis

Telesavalis Friend of Leo's

two separate purchases-
    the Eric Clapton pedal (required too much hands on to use at a gig)
    and
    the Boss Acoustic Simulator
    took them both back to GC for a refund.

7. Paulie13

Paulie13 Tele-Holic

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta
    Agreed on the OCD. I found it sounded great at practice volumes, but really lacked something when used with a band. Sold mine as well.

8. mattbastardson

mattbastardson TDPRI Member

Jan 18, 2009
    birmingham, MI

9. GraspnAtStrings

GraspnAtStrings Tele-Meister

Sep 24, 2009
    West Texas
    Danelectro CO-1 (which is suppose to be an OCD clone, if I remember correctly). Not a bad pedal, just not as good as I'd hoped. I guess I wouldn't care for the OCD either.

10. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Mar 27, 2003
    I bought a new Dynacomp (Dunlop) and was disappointed - it was a totally different animal from my old one from 1976. I sold the new one, and still have the old one, although I rarely use it.

Many people love the Fulltone Fulldrive, but I thought it sounded mushy and muddy with my rig. I tried it at one gig and sold it immediately.

11. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    OCD v3 & v4...not my cup of tea. After reading all the hype, I gave it two ties...both failed miserably.

12. krauser2

krauser2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2009
    SC
    Love Pedal Les Louise......total disappointment, so much ear piercing high end and brittle sound.

PGS gave me a full refund

13. clayfeat

clayfeat Tele-Afflicted

Jan 19, 2005
    bloomington, in
    Phase 90. Too much.

14. Tonemonkey

Tonemonkey Poster Extraordinaire

Boss Metalzone - MT2 .....even with the Keeley Midnight Mod......not for me.

15. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Really? I find mine to be pretty smooth, but then I usually leave it on the Tweed Deluxe setting.

16. JayDee

JayDee Tele-Meister

Apr 7, 2009
    Missouri
    Either a Boss DD-7.....Loved all of the different settings, but if you turned the amp past "bedroom" you could hear a constant white noise hiss akin to a Vibrolux Custom. On or off made no difference. As long as it was in the chain, hisssssss. I tried multiple units to make sure it wasn't a dud.

OR Durham Electronics Mucho Boosto.....It's so freakin' finicky! It CAN sound absolutely awesome assuming you have your amp and guitar and other pedals set juuuust right and don't mess with them in the slightest. Oh, and the stars must all be aligned, and there must be a cool northeast breeze blowing as well. I've had some suggestions from other TDPRIers but it's just fickle. When everything is right though, it sounds amazing!

17. Tsetse

Tsetse Tele-Meister

Feb 25, 2009
    Germany
    Yeah, several. The two worst so far:

-'80s Ibanez DL10 Delay
    Sterile, cold, unmusical. Only useable for making noise with all potis on full, which really was its strongpoint.
    -'90s Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
    Fizzy, harsh, mushy, muddy, noisy combined with either shrill or muffled sound characteristics. The worst Distortion pedal I've ever heard.

18. mistermullens

mistermullens Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 3, 2007
    Atlanta Area
    I got the el cheapo Danelectro Reverb, and its barely OK with a touch of verb, but anything over that is really bad. Wish I had never bought the thing. I couldn't even sell it!

19. metulmykul

metulmykul Tele-Holic

Feb 5, 2007
    Brisbane, Australia
    Cool Cat Fuzz and the Seymour Duncan Tweak Fuzz.
    I find the Cool Cat more of a fizzy distortion and the Tweak..well it just doesn't tweak my buttons.

20. Dana

Dana Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Ashland, Ma
    Zendrive, Zendrive II, Klon.

No, I'm not kidding...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.