Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Most boring cover versions?

Discussion in 'Music to Your Ears' started by StrangerNY, Oct 11, 2018.

1. Ron R

Ron R Friend of Leo's

Mar 23, 2016
    Raleigh, NC
    Not that it was a great tune in the first place, but Captain & Tenille's cover of Muskrat Love was the very definition of meh.

The Carpenters were mentioned earlier - their cover of Ticket To Ride = yawn.

StrangerNY likes this.
  2. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    Michael Bolton, When a Man Loves a Woman. I would rather gargle with pig vomit than listen to that.

3. IronSchef

IronSchef Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

This is a hideous version of this song

bender66, RodeoTex and bl28 like this.
  4. Boil

Boil Tele-Meister

Oct 30, 2011
    B.C.
    This pig vomit you speak of, where does one get that? Michael Bolton has a lot of videos.

5. 8barlouie

8barlouie Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

May 9, 2015
    Seekonk, MA
    I probably shouldn't have posted that. I mean no disrespect to Michael Bolton fans. I just can't listen to his voice. But that cover annoys me particularly.

StrangerNY likes this.
  6. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    Easy: Metallica, "Turn The Page".

Besquire and StrangerNY like this.
  7. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    ...or Loverman from the same album. I lol'd.

8. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    The Johnny Cash version of U2's "One" was pretty lame.

Then there's the DEVO version of "Satisfaction": boring, talentless, awful on every level.

Paul Jenkin likes this.
  9. warrent

warrent Tele-Afflicted

Sep 15, 2009
    toronto
  10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Tele-Afflicted

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    That ones got a real spinal tap feel to it.

StrangerNY likes this.
  11. bluesky1963

bluesky1963 Tele-Holic

Apr 1, 2011
    Glendale, AZ
    I don't know if this is boring, bad, or just weird.

Hat tip to @Jakedog

StrangerNY and Chunkocaster like this.
  12. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Friend of Leo's

Apr 3, 2015
    Winchester, VA
    That was pretty disgusting. Can I flag this?

;)

8barlouie and StrangerNY like this.
  13. audiopablo

audiopablo Tele-Meister

Jan 11, 2015
    SoCal, CA
    At the risk of being condemned by the whole Woodstock generation, I'm going to say for me it's Joe Cocker's cover of "With a Little Help from My Friends." I love the Beatles version. I just don't get it and never will.

Btw, I kind of like that country cover of jump. I'll take that over another modern country hit about drinking, Chevy trucks, roads and jeans.

StrangerNY likes this.
  14. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Remember the Bay City Rollers? They don't seem to get much love around here.

They did a cover of the Dusty Springfield classic "I Only Wanna Be With You" that was pretty lame.

They also did an equally lame cover of the Raspberries' standard "Let's Pretend."

StrangerNY likes this.
  15. AAT65

AAT65 Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I’m still not bored by these:
    I think each of those bands took a song and ‘made it their own’ as they say. Not necessarily good (though I do especially enjoy the SY Carpenters cover - they enjoyed playing with the contrast between their own image and the Carpenters’ over the years) but there is some inspiration there.

On the other hand... I think the Beatles’ version of Roll Over Beethoven is pretty stale, flat and uninspired (especially when you contrast it to their Please Mr Postman just before, which is a blast).

16. Mid Life Crisis

Mid Life Crisis Friend of Leo's

Jan 12, 2007
    Cambridge, England
    Well I was only four when Woodstock happened but whether you prefer the original or not, I'm not sure how Joe Cocker's version could be described as "boring". He took a Beatles song and completely reworked it, updated it in a soul-rock style, delivering a stunning vocal performance.

audiopablo, Besquire, Boil and 2 others like this.
  17. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Friend of Leo's

Aug 17, 2017
    Essex, UK
    This takes some beating for sheer surreality;

StrangerNY likes this.
  18. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 2, 2009
    South Australia
    Britney Spears version of " I Love Rock'n-Roll" is terrible compared to Joan Jett's.
    I remember trying to play the Spears version as that's what the two female singers wanted. She, Spears, plays it to a different rhythm. Horrible.

audiopablo, Besquire and StrangerNY like this.
  19. RoyalBaby

RoyalBaby Tele-Holic

Jul 23, 2013
    Birmingham, UK
    Clapton's Unplugged does nothing for me overall, although there's an interview with CF Martin that says it's the album that saved their business so I guess somebody liked it.

On the day of Di's funeral we were going on holiday ( Mrs Baby and our youngest who was just a baby then) and had a long motorway journey to South Wales. We were almost the only people on the roads, it was like a scene from a zombie apocalypse film. We stopped at a motorway service station, normally there would be dozens of cars parked up but there were only a handful. As I walked across the car park I could hear Candle in the Wind ( English Rose)coming out of each car and then from the radio in the shop. I think that's the most I've ever listened to it.

StrangerNY likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.