Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mosky Timmy Timmy and BB Preamp clones

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by sliberty, Nov 30, 2017.

1. BoogerRooger

BoogerRooger Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 3, 2009
    Suffolk Coast
    I just got a Mosky Dyna Compressor. It was cheap enough on eBay. The seller was in Hong Kong and suggested I used tracked postage and they would split the cost of £3. So I paid £1.50 for tracked shipping and it arrived 3 days later. Impressive service indeed, and the comp sounds great!

2. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just tried comparing the MM and PS with my other two amps (same Strat) and I heard just the opposite of what I said before- the MM was all nasally, honky mids, and less bass and treble than the Pure Sky, which had more extended highs, and more laid back, sweeter mids. This is why it's so hard to predict what a pedal will sound like with any given amp, because of the way the pedal and amp react to each other's voicings. With my Mustang 1 on the BF Twin model, every pedal sounds much lower gain than on the BF Twin on my GT40. The Caline Pegasus sounds totally clean on the Mustang 1, even with it's gain all the way up, unless I smack the strings REALLY hard, then it starts to bark. But, after trying them all through more than one amp, the BB clone and OCD clone are still my favorites of all the Mosky pedals. And the Pegasus, Cream Brulee, and Bad Horse are my favorite Klones, and the Pure Sky, EH East River Drive, Rowin Dumbler and Gumble, Mosky Suhr clone, and Voodoo Sparkle Drive are all very cool, too. Opinion of the Soul Food TBD shortly. It should be here by Wed.

3. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    I've just ordered a Mosky Spring Reverb... I will report back when it arrives.

misterdl likes this.

4. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    A nice little reverb. It does the job ;)

Bristlehound likes this.

5. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Goody. The youtube vids seemed decent for a set 'n forget reverb at ~£22

6. DougM

DougM Tele-Holic

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    After tweaking it's tone controls more, and tweaking the amp too, I'm really digging the MM a lot more. It does have more mids, and less bass and treble than the PS, which has more recessed mids, but I've got the MM now sounding pretty sweet and well balanced. By comparison, now the BB and OCD and Rowin Dumbler are sounding slightly ragged. So, the MM is really growing on me more all the time. I still have to determine how it takes to different guitars.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2018

7. Marko9801

Marko9801 TDPRI Member

May 28, 2010
    with my parents
    I received MM Silver and B-BOX pedals yesterday and love them both. MM more than BB but both are great. Sorry I can't offer more info but I never had a chance to try a BB or a Timmy. I'm using the pedals trough a drive channel of a Laney L5t Lionheart combo with a Epi LP Custom with DiMarzio PAFs.
    Lionhearts drive is perfect for my taste so I was looking for pedals that can overdrive it with no or little flavour added. MM does that perfect and sounds usable at any setting, BB lacks body when EQ controls are at 12o'clock, but sounds great when bass is maxed.

This are my third and fourth Mosky pedals and what they have in common are disturbingly blinding blue LEDs that hurt your eyes. I covered them with electrical black tape...

DougM and sliberty like this.

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Yea, that blue LED on the MM is going to have to be dealt with :) I remember the LED on the Spring Reverb being too bright also, but I've sold that pedal (not because of the LED). I don't remember the XP Booster LED being as bright....I'll have to fire that one up and check.

I don't have the B-Box, but I do have an Orange Burst, which is also a BB Preamp clone. I am surprised that you felt that one had no body with controls at noon. I typically keep my Orange Burst tone controls at about 1 or 2 o'clock, mainly to reduce the perceived mids by increasing the highs and lows. But I never felt it was thin (if that is what you meant by no body).

I didn't order the B-Box as my Orange Burst isn't on either of my boards at the moment. But for now anyway, the MM has replaced my Pure Sky, mainly because I have mostly mini pedals, and the board looks more uniform with the MM. But we'll see how it fairs with the band. If I don't like it as much, the Pure Sky will go back in its original place.

9. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    Only one missing...

IMG_20180110_140933_resized_20180110_021031356.jpg

10. Marko9801

Marko9801 TDPRI Member

May 28, 2010
    with my parents
    Received the CRAZY TONE Mosky and it rocks! It sounds great in front of my L5t drive channel but it is obviously designed for use in front of a clean amp. Never tried the original Suhr Riot but this sure does sound like the youtube demos. Also the voice switch gives more when used with clean channel.

So far I give 5/5 to Crazy tone and MM Silver and 4/5 to B-box. I think that a different taper bass pot would help it, with current pot I hear the bass unity on 3o'clock and I still add more bass...
    Hope someone does a youtube comparison with the original pedal...

misterdl likes this.

11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Holic

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I assume the one in the middle is the DHGate clone?
    (I based that guess on the knobs)

12. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    mmm - my Caline Orange Burst switch is starting to play up. I'd be worried if I was playing live with it!

13. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    You're right !

14. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium

15. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    The Mosky Spring Reverb has arrived. It's only useable on a very light setting as it's so noisy - a terrible backgound hiss if the MIX control is past 8 o'clock... and a loud 'pop' when switched on or off.
    As I want it as an always on, very light reverb then it's OK, but I couldn't recommend it based on my experience.

16. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium

It's weird, mine is not noisy and no pop at all. Yours is probably defective...!

17. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    Imho, the B-Box is better than the Caline. There's something in the highs (icy, glassy ?) in the OB that the B-Box doesn't have.

18. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    mmm - I'll take it apart and see if any solder needs re-flowing, but there's not a lot one can do with these style pedals. The chip won't be socketed, that's for sure.

19. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    It's all SMD.

20. Bristlehound

Bristlehound Tele-Holic

Jan 4, 2017
    Wales
    Yup - buttoned it back up very quickly!!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.