Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mosky Timmy Timmy and BB Preamp clones

Discussion in 'Pedal/Effects Owners Clubs' started by sliberty, Nov 30, 2017.

1. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    So, do a video and ask for a refund...

2. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium

Fyi, I just reordered a Caline Orange Burst and a Mogoo BB Preamp clone. Actually, I'm going to buy a real BB Preamp this week (second hand bargain, I will probably resell it at a higher price after the test). This way, I could compare all the pedals in a row (Mosky, Caline, Mogoo and Xotic). I'll let you know about the results ;)

3. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    I'm pretty sure that the Rowin and the Aroma/Tomsline are the same pedal...(at least, the same circuit).

4. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    :D

Can't wait....

5. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    My MM Silver Overdrive supposedly will arrive tomorrow. Tracking says it is on its way to my town today (New Years Day no less). I'll be comparing it to the Caline Pure Sky, and to a lesser extent, to the Vemuram Jan Ray copy (Timmy derived) that I built from a Rullywow PCB.

6. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    FINALLY - the MM Silver has arrived. First impressions only here. I haven't had a chance to set it side by side with my Pure Sky for comparison - that will come in a couple of days.

The pedal itself is rather unattractive. The plain silver paint job and basic lettering is not what I've come to expect from a $29 pedal (ok that was a poor attempt at humor. It looks EXACTLY as I would expect for such a cheap pedal. The others are surprisingly pretty). I don't really care, but it is noticeably simple looking next to a Mooer/Caline/Donner/etc.

The jacks and switch were reasonably tight out of the box, but I still tightened them a touch more. I've come to do this with all pedals as this is often a source of premature failures, even on name brand pedals. I haven't taken the knobs off yet, so I don't know how tight or loose the pots are - will do it later.

I opened up the pedal, and discovered that there are no switches or trim pots to mess with. The PCB says Mosky on it, so it is not simply a repacking of someone else's guts (not that I am aware of anyone else doing a Timmy clone. The PCB says TIM v. 2.0 on it as well for what that it worth. Almost all components that are visible on the PCB are surface mount devices, with the exception of 1 capacitor and 3 diodes.

No rubber or velcro adhesive bottoms were supplied or attached. I might be alone, but I am happy about thist. I am sick of ripping the rubber bottoms off so that my Dual Lock will adhere properly, and this time I don't have to since none was provided. For those of you who prefer to use those stuck on bottoms, sorry, you won't get one with this pedal.

You also won't get an instruction sheet. But there is nothing here that you can't figure out (I hope).

I hooked the pedal up directly between my Epi Les Paul Plus Top Pro (stock Probucker 2 and 3 pickups) and my home brew 65-ish Fender Princeton Amp (non-reverb). I set the bass and treble pots to noon, and the gain to 9-10 o'clock, and began with the volume at about 9 o'clock as well. Then I began to push the volume, first to 10 o'clock, then noon, then 3 o'clock. with the gain at 10 o'clock or below, this pedal is a SUPERB clean boost (and my amp can really take it - huge headroom in the non-reverb Princetons). And with the gain just above that clean spot, you get the edge-of-distortion that I like to use for my basic always on rhythm tone.

As I cranked up the gain, at first without adjusting anything else, the overdrive was a bit more grainy than I expected. Backing off on the treble helped a lot. I don't usually run my Pure Sky with the gain cranked, so I don't know how it responds to such a setting, but when I put them head to head, I will find that out.

Note - The bass and treble work the same way as they do on the Pure Sky - ie clockwise increases and counter clockwise decreases the bass or treble. They are not cut controls.

Overall, first impression is good, but a head-to-head comparison is in order. Stay tuned.

7. Straydogger

Straydogger Tele-Meister

Mar 26, 2017
    Western Pa.
    Wow... this is either the crappiest pedal review or the crappiest pedal....not likin' this........................................possibly both...lol

8. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Here is installment #2 in my review of the MM Silver.

I pulled my Blues Crab off of my board (temporarily) and plugged the MM Silver into the audio chain in it's place, right next to my Pure Sky. I only messed with it for about 10 minutes, and with my amp turned down more than I would like when evaluating pedals. But never-the-less, here is what I experienced.

Setting up the two pedals in the same manner, the pedals sounded virtually the same. On occasion, I felt that the MM Silver was a touch brighter than the Pure Sky, but that could be simply a difference on the taper of the controls. As with the Pure Sky, the clean / clean-ish boost of the pedal is wonderful (gain set to around 9 or 10 o'clock). When turning up the gain, for my taste, you have to reduce the treble to below noon.

I've never played through a real Timmy. I hear they are nice ;) The Pure Sky is a very nice pedal for the tones that I want from it. The MM Silver seems to be capable of serving the same need for about the same price, but in a mini package. Some don't like mini pedals. I do like them, so for me this is a cool option. I haven't used the MM Silver enough to decide if it will kick the Pure Sky off of the board in favor of the smaller size - that is TBD. But if I didn't have a Timmy style pedal, this one seems to me to be as good a choice as the Pure Sky.

Oh, and the LED is too bright.

More to come.
    And, I'm looking forward to hearing about the B-Box (that video sure was awful).

dswo and DougM like this.

9. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    same here

10. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    See my thread on the Rowin (NPD- Rowin Dumbler) and my conclusions as to why I think it's not just a rebranded Tomsline.

11. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    Final installment of my MM Silver review - I like it. Cool pedal, probably as well made as any other, and well worth the money. If you already have a Timmy type, it might be a waste for you, unless you are looking for the small form factor. But if you don’t have any form of a Timmy yet, and don’t mind mini pedals, this is one to consider.

12. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    I now have a real BB Preamp. As far as I remember, I think the Orange Burst does not compare to it. My first impression is that the Xotic seems to sound richer and fatter (but I may be wrong, ears can be tricky sometimes !). Future will tell me when I get the Caline I reordered (and the two clones I ordered too).

13. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Two of my five Mosky minis arrived today, the Plexi-m and the Obsessive Drive. They both sound great. The Plexi is all kinds of high gain goodness, very nicely voiced and very musical. I'll probably never use it with the gain above 8 or 9 o'clock, but from what I can remember of the other Plexi pedals I've tried (primarily the Tomsline Plexi), I like this one more. And the Obsessive is even better. Now I know why OCDs get so much love. The other two clones I've tried just didn't thrill me. The ENO Trouble just didn't sound that good, and the Joyo Ultimate Drive was too fuzzy with flabby bass. But, this one is awesome. It doesn't kill the bass like a lot of OD pedals do, but it's still clean and tight, not flabby or mushy. Overall, it's voiced a lot like the brighter Klon klones I've tried, but with a lot more gain available. With the gain at about noon it's about like a klone at 4-5 o'clock. And I definitely like the HP setting better. The LP didn't really thrill me much. Now the other three, the Suhr Riot clone, BB Preamp clone, and Timmy clone should also be here any day, 'cause I bought them all at the same time on Ebay.

dswo likes this.

14. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium

I've never liked the ocd clones either. I did try the Ultimate drive and had about the same feeling as you. Mogoo one was way better but still something missing in the sound . According to your review, I think I'm going to try the Mosky clone too.

I'm pretty sure you will like the Crazy Tone...it's a bit noisy but has killer sounds, really...If you are into mini overdrive/distortion pedals, you should also try the Little Brute Drive clone (from DHGate). Killer too !

Last edited: Jan 7, 2018
    DougM likes this.

15. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    So, the remaining three Mosky minis arrived today. The Timmy one is a bit brighter than the Pure Sky, but very close. But, it sounds just a little bland and generic in comparison. It's still very nice, but just seems to not quite have the harmonic magic that the PS has. The BB clone, on the other hand, has all the magic of the Orange Burst, maybe even more, from what I remember. I sold the OB, so I don't have one to compare it to. But, the Mosky sounds really, really, really good. And the Suhr clone sounds really great, too. Less gain than the Joyo US Dream, from what I recall, but sweeter sounding. Really juicy harmonically rich distortion without getting ragged. Better with the voice switch in the up position. So, the BB is my favorite, followed by the OCD and Suhr clones, with the Timmy and Plexi clones being my least favorite. But, they ALL sound really great. Those are just my tonal preferences. And, these are just first impressions, which could change over time, and depending on which guitar I use, and which amp model on my GT40 I'm using, as well.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2018

16. Daddy Hojo

Daddy Hojo Friend of Leo's

Feb 25, 2011
    Kentucky
    Man, I love some flabby bass though. Maybe that's why I love the Ultimate Drive.

17. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I noticed a slightly brighter tone in the MM Silver compared with the Pure Sky as well. But didn’t notice any “magic missing”. Can you elaborate?

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It's hard to put a finger on. There's just some sort of harmonic complexity or magic to the tone that the PS has that the MM is slightly missing. It's really minor, but noticeable. I think it's 'cause the PS has a bit juicier, thicker midrange. It could all depend on the amp it's plugged into also, as well as the guitar. I have to compare them with other guitars, as those comments are based on only my CP 60s Strat, and the BF Twin model on my GT40.

19. sliberty

sliberty Tele-Afflicted

Mar 19, 2007
    East Brunswick, NJ
    I typically use the Pure Sky as my always on rhythm sound, with the gain just below 9 o'clock and level just above unity. This adds just a little bit of hair to an otherwise glassy clean sound - very transparent. But I am also finding that when I crank my pedals (Pure Sky, Blues Crab, whatever), they sweeten the amp even more. This works really well with my Princeton Amp or my Bassman because they have great headroom (especially the Princeton, a bit like your Twin). But with my Vox amps (well now I am down to just one - an AC15C1 - as I sold my AC10C1 today), which have much less headroom, this drives them too hard, and they go into overdrive more than I want. But I am convinced that if I spent all of my time using high headroom amps, that is what I would do - crank the pedals levels way up. The only problem this causes is when you want "clean" and bypass all drive pedals. But I have a clean boost (Donner Boost Killer, which is an RC clone) that can solve that problem I suppose. On the other hand, if I was in a harder rock band, cranking my pedals into the Vox would be great too :) What to do, what to do......these are good problems to have. :)

20. misterdl

misterdl TDPRI Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Belgium
    Glad to see that I'm not the only one who likes the Crazy Tone. Really similar to the Donner Morpher (Mooer Solo). The main difference between the two is that the Donner has a three-way switch (Crazy Tone has only a two-way one).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.