Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mosky Golden Horse, clone of the Klon Centaur

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by vjhn, Jul 3, 2018.

1. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    My Silver arrived today, can’t wait to take it for a spin! Someone said somewhere that there’s no sleeve on the a/c plug. They’re there (on mine) but recessed so you could conceivably touch a hot plug to the metal enclosure. Design flaw? who knows....

2. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Jun 8, 2014
    Atlanta
    I have a BBox pedal and just received the Silver Horse a Crazy Tone Riot last week.

I don’t know what the rest of you guys are doing, but I run my rig dimed. I use OD pedals to bump things for leads and the occasional song that needs warp drive.

This changes how my tone is affected by a pedal differently than it would if you play cleaner.

I LOVE the BB preamp. It doesn’t color the tone of my rig at all, it just gives it a hotter, punchier signal. The tone controls are very usable as well.

The silver horse and riot not so much.

I’ve only fooled with them for a few minutes but I’m not impressed, especially the riot which I expected more of after hearing YouTube demos. The silver and the riot were very similar.

Having said all that I only gave them a few minutes so maybe they’ll grow on me.

Hope this take on these pedals gives some perspective, thanks.

Chunkocaster and bgmacaw like this.
  3. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    In a situation ATM where I can’t use my fav amp at home (house in disarray, getting ready to put on the market) but spent a couple hours with the SH, Strat and Katana mini and really liked what I heard. Sounds best though the slightly dirty setting. Not bad dimed on the clean. Can’t wait for practice/ my next gig!

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  4. InAbsentia

InAbsentia TDPRI Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Southwest PA
    I see the Golden is like $17 on eBay right now. Have to imagine it’s worth a gamble at $17?

Last edited: Sep 10, 2018
    thegreatshocka likes this.
  5. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    yup. Careful with the power input...

InAbsentia likes this.
  6. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I've plugged and unplugged the Gold and Silver many times with the power to the daisy chain on, and I've experienced no problem at all. If you do accidentally touch the case of the pedal with the power plug, the only exposed part of the power plug is the sleeve/ground, the hot is in the center of the tip, and really can't make contact to the pedal case, so I don't see how touching the power ground to the case of the pedal could blow it up.
    After all this time, I have to say that the Gold and the Silver seem like two completely different pedals. The Silver is so much more open and dynamic sounding, a lot sweeter, less compressed and gritty. I really like it as much as my other favorite Klon types, and I don't like the Gold at all. The Silver sounds clear and open even with the treble pot at around ten or eleven o'clock, but the Gold sounds muddy unless the treble is turned up past noon, but then it sounds kind of harsh and gritty. Maybe I just got a bad one with the Gold I bought. But, my Silver doesn't work in the soft clipping mode anymore. It did when I first got it, but now, when I put the switch in the down position, it sputters terribly, cutting in and out very rapidly. It sounds like it's gonna blow up. But, that's OK, 'cause I don't use it in that mode anyway. It's really more for a clean boost with a tube amp than an overdrive in that mode, 'cause it has a lot less dirt/distortion in that mode, but a lot higher output. It stays mostly clean in that mode, even with the gain pot dimed, from what I remember. Since I use it as a low to medium gain dirt box into a clean amp, that mode doesn't work for me anyway.

bgmacaw likes this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    @DougM - It seems like build quality is a significant issue with this particular pedal line. I have several other Mosky pedals that have worked perfectly for over a year with almost daily usage. But, I keep hearing about problems with the Horse pedals and experienced it myself.

It's interesting that your Gold gets muddy. I haven't experienced that with the two I've had. Maybe this is another indication of inconsistency.

DougM likes this.
  8. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Yeah, like I said, I think I may have gotten a bad one. I think it may not be a good idea to buy a new pedal as soon as it hits the Ebay stores, but it might be better to wait at least a couple of months to let them get any early production problems worked out. Or, maybe the QC on $20 pedals just isn't as good as on pricier ones, even if they're all from China.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    It wouldn't be surprising if Mosky got some bad components from their supplier for these pedals, especially given it was a new pedal for them at a low target price. Let's hope the supplier lost "face" over this error.

10. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    I'll have to record a demo of it.
    Been using it as a boost after my overdrives and it sounds great!

11. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Nice review, have only been able to play it through my Katana mini...I like it so far, can’t wait to go full bore (gig volume).

12. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2016
    Auburn, Ca

13. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    When I think about it you're right, 'cause almost all adapters for almost all pedals, going all the way back to Ibanez and Boss are 9VDC, center pin negative, and sleeve positive. Nevertheless, I've still never blown up any pedal by connecting it with the power on.

14. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    I just leave my pedals on a small pedal board plugged in now and just unplug the power supply wall wart...there are only 5 pedals on there anyway...I’m sure there must be a reason why they did it that way but it doesn’t occur to me...I would have gone the other way and protected the power pin...

15. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Jan 2, 2007
    La Quinta, CA
    I ordered a Golden Horse or whatever it's called and it showed up faulty. I had to battle to get a refund, but I did eventually get a full refund.

Kinda frustrating, I was looking forwards to trying it out.

16. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    My second one just failed in the same way, blown charge pump. Obviously these pedals were made using substandard or defective parts to meet the price point. Very disappointing.

Anyway, it was a good taste of what this type of pedal can do so there will be another Klone in my future, just not a $19 one.

Axis29 likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Odd, since I've had no problem with my Silver or Gold, using a One Spot. I've tried more cheap clones than most. I would recommend the Tone City Bad Horse or Clone Central Centaur. Just don't confuse the Clone Central with the other Gold Chinese one. This one has the in and out on the sides, and says Centaur on it. The other one has the in and out on the top, and doesn't have the word Centaur on it. The pots, switch, and LEDs are in different places, too. The Bad Horse is $50 from Riff City, and the Clone Central is $50-70 on Ebay depending on seller. The other Gold one is actually the first one I got, and it's a really good pedal, too. I just prefer the Clone Central, but that's a subjective judgement. It's also about $50 on Ebay. It's a bit brighter with less of a mid hump, but may have more bass than the Clone Central one. klone1.jpg maxresdefaultkklon.jpg 010089087xl.jpg After using them both for a few months, I preferred the Clone Central with my amps. But they all sound different with different amps.

dswo and bgmacaw like this.
  18. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    One thing I didn't mention that you may want to consider. The Bad Horse, being a mini pedal like the Mosky, has small surface mount devices, while the other two have full size parts. I don't think it matters as far as the op-amps, but it may make a difference with the charge pump, since it's function is to bump up the power supply rails from nine to eighteen volts. I've posted these somewhere before, but if you haven't seen them, here's the gut shots from the two Gold ones. The first is from the Clone central, and the second is from the other one. clone2.jpg s-l1600cv.jpg

bgmacaw likes this.
  19. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Here's another, better shot of the "other" Gold one, followed by one from the Tone Bakery Crème Brulee, which is about $100, but I got mine for $60 used on Ebay klone3.jpg s-l100.jpg . The no name Gold one is available as a kit or assembled.

dswo likes this.
  20. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Thanks.

I'm also considering the EHX Soul Food and the Caline Pegasus. It would have probably bought one of these already but the attraction of a $19 option was too much. The Soul Food seems to come up used a good bit.

I've already got 2 non-Klone cheapos on the way, the Twinote Pπ Fuzz and Boogie Distortion, so I'll have some fun with them.

Axis29 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.