Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mosky Golden Horse, clone of the Klon Centaur

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by vjhn, Jul 3, 2018.

1. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Shenzhen China is really remarkable, going from a sleepy backwater town of 30k people in 1980 to a massive city of 12M+ and the number one manufacturing center of the world today. Having all this in a central location makes it easy and inexpensive to buy parts and equipment and the government stays out of the way for the most part, which is both good and bad. On top of that both the Chinese and US government subsidize shipping so it costs them almost nothing to send smaller stuff over here. The question is how long this can be sustained. My guess is that it won't be long so take advantage of it while we can.

vjhn likes this.

2. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    My seller wanted me to check the price for shipping my pedal back to China...$60 for US to China...it was free coming from China...Well she say she will send me a new one and I’ll keep the old one...Because I liked the sound, I also bought another...before I plug it in, I will try to find a way to insulate the housing near the power plug. It is very easy for the 9v positive to come in contact with the housing on this pedal and I’m pretty sure that’s what killed the first one...we’ll see in a couple weeks...

3. vjhn

vjhn TDPRI Member

Jul 16, 2017
    Norway
    That was weird. I think all together I have had about 25-30 cheap chinese pedal (around 23$ or less), and I think I have had issues with 3 of them. Similar to your experience, I too had to provide a film recording of whatever unsatisfying problem that occured, but the seller always resolved it by sending a replacement or by giving a full refund without any hassle.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018

4. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    Hey Doug M, read the posts in this thread, which include all kinds of descriptions of defects in Mosky Golden Horse pedals. And BTW, if you even read my post, you would see that I credit accurate, reliable clone makers, and also credit those who create variants based on their own tweaking. Stupid cork-sniffer insults abound all over these boards, and generally represent defensive responses by fragile egos who haven't even read the thread or post before responding. My criticism was reserved for people who make pedals with mechanical defects or cheap parts yet have them identified as "clones." My board is hardly full of expensive pedals. Sorry you missed the point(s) but nice job on the insult.

5. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    Silver horse is here.
    Sounds good but not exactly what I have in mind as the Klon sound.
    I'll have to play with it a little more to see how much I like it.

vjhn and El Tele Lobo like this.

6. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    Finally had my first hour and half with the Silver Horse.
    It's nice but I don't think it sounds like a Klon. At least the sound I usually associate with the Klon.
    I don't have my main amp with me but I tried it through a 5E3 and a 65Amps London Pro. Sounded fine with both amps.
    It's kind of "transparent" with the gain down and gets more mid focus when you push the gain but I was expecting more low mids. For example, the TS simulation on my Boss MS-3 sounds more "barky" while the Silver Horse sounds more "trebly".
    I'll try to record something with it when I have my Fender DRRi back.

kevsonic likes this.

7. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    I forgot to say the switch does a difference, very subtle in certain settings, but I like it better on the upper position.

[​IMG]

El Tele Lobo likes this.

8. bowman

bowman Friend of Leo's

Sep 15, 2006
    Framingham, MA
    After reading all of this, I opted for the Caline Pegasus. I haven't done anything with it yet, so no review at the moment. Keeper or not, it's a small investment.

vjhn and El Tele Lobo like this.

9. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Let us know what you think.

10. thegreatshocka

thegreatshocka Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    After A/Bing the Golden Horse with my Wampler Tumnus, I'd say the Tumnus is a bit clearer and more "modern" sounding, while the Golden Horse has more mids and is vintage sounding. The Tumnus is definitely staying on my pedal board, while the GH will make a fun pedal to take with me and use with my Yamaha THR10C.

For 19 bucks, if you want to audition a klon-type sound it's pretty hard to go wrong IMO.

El Tele Lobo and bgmacaw like this.

11. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    The Tumnus came remarkably close to actual Klons and top clones in several side-by-side video demos I saw.

12. thegreatshocka

Nov 6, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    I believe it, I love the sound of the Tumnus. It’s great as a stand alone OD, used to push and amp, or going into my Sparkle Drive (my personal fav).

El Tele Lobo likes this.

13. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    Really? I was thinking maybe I wanted a Tumnus but I don't want "modern" or less mids...

14. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I have the Silver on the way...color me drunk on the kool aid.

15. thegreatshocka

Nov 6, 2013
    Columbus, Ohio
    Consider yourself lucky, the pedal that may work best for you is only gonna cost about 20 bucks! It’s real close though, side by side they both sound very nice and I’d not hesitate to roll with either one, it’s a personal preference.

xjazzy likes this.

16. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    Well, I spent some more time with it.
    I think I like it better with humbuckers, specially my Firebird I.
    For single coils I think the Tube Screamer gets a little advantage.
    I'll use it with the band this week to see how it holds up.

17. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    I finally understood what the Voice switch on the Silver Horse does. You really notice the difference if you crank the gain.
    Top will give you less gain and more low end.
    Down position is more open sounding and gainier.
    Makes almost no difference with the gain at 9 o'clock where I set mine.
    It really needs the amp to be loud. Otherwise it sounds anemic and lifeless.
    Can't wait to try it with my DRRi but it's in my band's truck and I have one more show until I get it back home.

bgmacaw, kevsonic and vjhn like this.

18. scout2112

scout2112 Tele-Meister

Nov 6, 2017
    Colorado, USA
    I'm loving my Golden Horse. It's great for classic rock. It's perfect for doing Stones' Honky Tonk Woman, for example. Best $20 I ever spent on a pedal.

John How likes this.

19. Keefsdad

Keefsdad TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    I'm actually glad to hear that. I haven't been able to try mine through a loud amp yet, and it does sound lifeless. Looking forward to gigging with it.

20. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    Got my replacement golden horse today...I think this is just about my favorite overdrive pedal...I have not owned many though...I got my regular tone thru a baseman cranked to 10, and that is why I can’t hear and have tinnitus...be forewarned...now I run a home made vibrochamp and it’s still way too loud to crank in my neighborhood... I built it with a pot driving the power stage as a master volume...I never really liked a master volume but this is nice...I can get bedroom levels and the tone I want...mind you, this is not distortion, just overdrive and the horse gain is barely on at 9 oclock...lots of bite and just a little hair but no fuzz or fizz...I have another one on the way as a spare since my first died...I still think I’ll try to insulate the power plug as it is too easy to ground out the +9 on the case when plugging it in...Just be sure to plug in the pedal before you plug in the wall wart or whatever your powering it with...
    You can’t go wrong for under $20...So if I can’t get it to fit on this board, I’ll take out th tuner, as I’m kinda partial to my dumbler as well...
    7B71733A-D22D-4AE9-9FC2-3BB8FF7745FA.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.