Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Mosky Golden Horse, clone of the Klon Centaur

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by vjhn, Jul 3, 2018.

1. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Any ideas on their B-Box preamp? Supposed to be BB Preamp clone, really wonder how that sounds like...

2. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I have one, and I like it.

Doctorx33 likes this.

3. ozan

ozan TDPRI Member

Dec 19, 2017
    Istanbul, Turkey
    Have you had any chance to compare it against BB Preamp?

4. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    nope, I don't have a BB Preamp

5. kevsonic

kevsonic Tele-Meister

Oct 16, 2017
    Philadelphia, PA
    Hmmm .. I'll lick it and report back!

Alamo likes this.

6. richey88

richey88 Friend of Leo's

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    Good to know Thanks! Really bashing this and other Mosky’s over at TGP....I think it sounds good and was right up my alley price wise. I usually plug everything in before power up. Ooh. I did unplug it while the board had pwr. Guess I better check......sorry streaming thoughts here.

vjhn likes this.

7. DavidP

DavidP Friend of Leo's

Mar 16, 2003
    Vancouver, BC
    Reading this with interest, especially the short-circuit issue due to lack of a protective sleeve on the power jack... Never thought about that. So how deep does the power cable insert into the enclosure? Hopefully deep enough so the plug cover fills the enclosure hole for a secure fit??

8. John How

John How Tele-Meister

Mar 22, 2016
    Auburn, Ca
    I actually liked the sound I got from this pedal for the few minutes that I used it before trying to change its position and probably shorting it out...I’ve done everything the seller has asked me to do and perhaps she will send me another...but I went ahead and ordered another anyway from a different seller...like I said, I liked the sound & it’s just $20...I think I have a grommet that should serve to insulate th power prong...we’ll see...in a few weeks...China seems like the other side of the world huh...

vjhn and richey88 like this.

9. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    Shocker...:rolleyes:

It does. Everything is crammed pretty tight in there. I suspect the short comes from touching a live power jack to the pedal's input or output jack or a metal headed connector cable, not the plug itself. However, it could also be caused by touching the enclosure while inserting a live power jack.

vjhn likes this.

10. El Tele Lobo

El Tele Lobo Friend of Leo's

Oct 21, 2014
    Florida
    Electric shock risk ups the appeal. “Tone to die for!”

Or maybe just a nefarious Chinese plot to destroy American music one pedal junkie at a time...

vjhn likes this.

11. xjazzy

xjazzy Friend of Leo's

Feb 17, 2007
    Portugal
    I have the Caline Orange Burst that supposedly does the same, and it's great.

richey88, ozan, vjhn and 1 other person like this.

12. jrblue

jrblue Tele-Holic

Nov 14, 2010
    Santa Barbara
    It's interesting that things are called "clones" that are in fact cheap and inaccurate imitations. A clone is supposed to be an identical copy. I realize I'm being an idiot since language is whatever people make it to be, but a lot of crap is hiding behind the "clone" lingo. I support creators, to the extent I can, so when I sold my original Klon, I got a KTR. Since circuits can't be copyrighted, others have duplicated Bill's design, and while some of those deserve to be called faithful clones, and others are equally well-made variants, many, like the Mosky, are cheap imitations. If it works for you, great, and if you get one that doesn't fall apart, great, but it's no clone, nor is it a quality variant.

El Tele Lobo likes this.

13. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    What makes the Mosky a "cheap imitation"? I mean, as opposed to a "faithful clone", or a "quality variant"?
    I'm sincerely curious...I get that a couple folks have reported experiencing some issues with theirs.

vjhn and bgmacaw like this.

14. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Tele-Afflicted

Feb 11, 2006
    Near Athens GA USA
    And, when you search around, you'll find people who have experienced similar problems with blown charge pumps and noise with their expensive "faithful clone". These things are sensitive to the power you feed them, especially the tiny ones in mini sized effects.

The bottom line is that corksniffers who've dropped hundreds on a Klone are very upset that us great unwashed can obtain something similar at a more down-to-earth price. You see the same when it comes to guitars.

kevsonic and vjhn like this.

15. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've suspected as much, but I'm willing to keep an open mind that I could be wrong

vjhn likes this.

16. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    Funny, 'cause many of the "cheap, inaccurate imitations" have been compared by some well known and respected pedal reviewers to the KTR, and have come VERY, VERY close in sound to it, even bettering it in some cases, IMHO. And, all the Klones I've bought, including the Mosky, have been pretty faithful to the original, with the charge pump, dual TI TL072 op-amps, dual gang gain pot, and germanium diodes. If you have nothing constructive to add to the conversation, why do you even bother to join in? Go do your cork sniffing somewhere else.
    Besides, it doesn't really matter what the schematic of any pedal looks like, or how accurate it is to the original that it's based on, but whether it sounds good or not.

Doctorx33, bgmacaw and vjhn like this.

17. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I do agree with this. I've seen on this forum a very well-respected and knowledgeable pedal guy tell us how pedal A and pedal B are the same thing, with the same components, and I've compared both pedals in person, and had my ears tell me they were not in fact the same thing

18. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I agree with you on that point. Without knowing that every component and every aspect of the circuit is the same, I do know that every Klone I've tried, no matter how close to the original they seem to be (based upon the aspects I mentioned), they still all sound different from one another.

19. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    And those delicious subtleties, that je nes sai quoi, can tend to disappear the moment you add a live band to the mix ;)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
    richiek65 and bgmacaw like this.

20. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I'd like to add that even two examples of the same pedal from the same maker can sound different because of component tolerances. A 1k resistor with a 10% tolerance can measure anywhere from 900 to 1100 ohms. Multiply that by every resistor and cap in the circuit. Of course, some components affect the sound more than others. I find it remarkable that anyone can even build a pedal for $20, let alone a good sounding one. I would think that the just the parts cost would be more than that. And, we have to assume that if a Chinese seller is getting $20, then they paid the maker less than that. And then there's the cost of shipping, since they usually ship to us for free. I can't imagine that the builder or the retailer are making very much money on these inexpensive pedals. Or perhaps they're subsidized by the Chinese Gov't.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.