MORON diy

Discussion in 'Amp Tech Center' started by guitarmoron, Apr 18, 2019.

1. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

Ok. I’m an idiot , I have rewired a couple of guitars, starting on first pedal in the morning. So here come the idiot question, if I buy a joyo small amp head, then i can build a speaker cabinet and connect together, right? I have only ever played on combo amps.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2019
  2. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Holic

Well, you can if the speaker is in the acceptable impedance range of the amplifier and is rated for the same or more power as the amplifier.

guitarmoron and Chunkocaster like this.
  3. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

Yes, a Joyo head should be able to run a home-made speaker cab as long as the impedence of the amp output (most commonly 8 ohms) matches that of the speaker you install in the cab.

You'll need some basic woodworking skills and tools to get the job done, but it isn't rocket science and a bit of reading and practice is all it takes.

guitarmoron likes this.
  4. Lake Placid Blue

Lake Placid Blue Poster Extraordinaire

I love the title. Just for the record, I have always embraced my inner moron.... a little too much.

5. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

If this Joyo head has tubes don't power it up without a suitable speaker cab plugged in.
    You will damage the head if you don't have it plugged into a speaker cab.

Other than that yes as above building a speaker cab is easy and fine to use if the speaker is a suitable ohms and power rating.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Kriticaster, guitarmoron and hopdybob like this.
  6. hopdybob

hopdybob Tele-Holic

and its even possible to use another combo amp as a cab for your new amp.
    its some inputjacks, wire and a good speaker cable to do that

you even could use a switchable inputjack on a combo
    that jack will connect the speaker in the combo with its amp, but when you plug in the speaker cable of the joyo, it will disconnect the speaker from the combo amp, and connect the speaker with the speakercable of the joyo
    but like chunkocaster said, don't use the tube amp without being connected to a speaker.

guitarmoron and Chunkocaster like this.
  7. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Wait. Joyo make amps now?

What are they clones of?

guitarmoron likes this.
  8. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

They make the JTA-05 which is a Champ-a-like ( and a very fine one too ), The Mjolnir, for the high gain heads ( not sure if it's an original ) and the stylistically challenged Beale Street, a 5e3 ( I think, it's based on a Fender, 2x12AX7, 2x6V6 and a valve rectifier ).
    They also make the BantAmp range, which is a lunch-box sized range of hybrid sound-a-likes.

They do some cabs too.

guitarmoron and notmyusualuserid like this.
  9. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

Depends on your skills. How are we supposed to know if you can build a speaker cabinet?

10. notmyusualuserid

I had a look. That Mjolnir* desperately wants to be a Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister. The Beale Street thing defies description, it looks like a Soviet era radio :)

The Top GT digital amp is a bit naughty in its orange (not Orange) cabinet, and 'DualKlonz? That's a lawsuit waiting to happen surely?

*Thor's hammer. I googled it ;)

guitarmoron likes this.
  11. notmyusualuserid

How does he, until he tries? That's probably why he came here looking for advice.

I bet he won't make that mistake again :rolleyes:

12. radiocaster

radiocaster Friend of Leo's

The controls are completely different. It's more likely a Mesa Mini Rectifier clone.

DaveTone and guitarmoron like this.
  13. rangercaster

rangercaster Friend of Leo's

Buy a cab ... Save money, time and aggravation, and you'll get a better cab ...

stepvan and guitarmoron like this.
  14. Mark the Moose

Mark the Moose Tele-Meister

A combo amp simply houses the amplifier and speaker in the same box. You can build separate boxes, referred to as a head and cabinet configuration. This makes for lighter loads and you can use more easily different cabinets for different settings.

As mentioned before, speakers are built to certain specifications including the impedance rating. So if your amplifier has an 8ohm output be sure to use an 8ohm speaker. Mismatches can damage the amplifier’s output transformer. Also, speKers are rated with a maximum power handling ability. So if you have an amp with 40watts of power and a speaker which can only handle a max of 20 watts, you might blow the speaker the first time you turn up the amp. So match the impedance and make sure the speaker is rated at least to handle the power level of the amp. it doesn’t hurt anything to have a 50watt speaker in a 5 watt amp and won’t change the sound due to that rating.

Finally, never turn on a tube amp without the speaker plugged in. Bad things happen to the output transformer.

Doctorx33 and guitarmoron like this.
  15. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

Its a lot easier when to let people know up front, that is why my handle is GuitarMoron, LOL

Lake Placid Blue likes this.
  16. joeford

joeford Friend of Leo's

for something low wattage like those joyo amps, cab construction isn't as critical. don't be scared off by it... it can be really rewarding and something you'll be proud of for years.

...or you'll hate it and have a big block of firewood. you can also buy kits from cabinet makers that you can just glue up (they'll do all the cutting and mail you type pieces)

which head were you looking at?

guitarmoron likes this.
  17. Finck

Finck Tele-Afflicted

If you have no tools and no sure about your skills, probably buy a cab ready to use will be a better and less expensive option.

But you can have some fun connecting the head to the speaker of an old combo. Just check the impedance and do the wiring carefully.

Remember that a tube head shall not be turned on without be connected to a speaker. Some has protections or internal dummy load to prevent problems, but I'm not sure about the mentioned models.

guitarmoron likes this.
  18. Doctorx33

Doctorx33 Tele-Afflicted

Being unskilled or unable to perform a task or ignorant of a process does not make you a moron. I know you're probably being tongue in cheek (I hope!) but your questions are typical of the type we all have asked ourselves and others at some point.

So ask away and enjoy being part of the forum!

19. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

I'm not sure that I understand, I plug the joyo amp head into my combo heads guitar input jack?
    thanks

telemnemonics likes this.
  20. guitarmoron

guitarmoron Tele-Meister

the BAMTAM BLUE JAY was what I was leaning toward, I think it would be rewarding and good therapy, I just had a heart attack, but all is good now

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.