Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

More Surfy Bear Buildin’

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by BorderRadio, Mar 13, 2018.

1. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    At the same time as @theprofessor was getting on board with the out board Surfy Bear Reverb, I found myself ready to finally take the plunge and go with FETs over tubes. Seems like @SebC was in the same boat. Surf’s up folks!

It will take longer to make the enclosure—white tolex, blackface control panel, and wheat or DRRI grill cloth, than complete the actual circuit. I’m testing this switching power supply. I think there’s going to be too much noise, so I might need to go linear (the input and the foot switch jack location in particular). Thoughts on this welcome. A member of the SurfGuitar101 forum used a similar power supply with no issues, but I’m not sure where they mounted it in relation to the the SB circuit.

9320E360-DDA8-4E44-91B6-BC43B0BA210E.jpeg BDD471EE-760D-4B2C-AFEE-D6A9CA893DF0.jpeg
    57BF249D-B3D1-406E-AC20-0CEA64DDA72F.jpeg

fendertx, Colors, Bill Moore and 4 others like this.

2. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    Magnificent! Looks über-cool!

BorderRadio likes this.

3. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Thanks professor! I found the power supply at Frys Electronics, Velleman brand, 12v 2.1A BTW.

4. SebC

SebC Tele-Meister

Apr 21, 2017
    New York
    Killer! looks like that's going to be a great solid unit! Still waiting for the trem circuit to arrive before I can finish mine. Hopefully, I'll be able to do it this weekend. I'll be visiting this thread to check out your progress!

BorderRadio likes this.

5. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

I'm not close to building one yet, but I'm watching this one also!
    (No one has moved these threads to Burnt Fingers Effects yet?)

BorderRadio likes this.

6. theprofessor

theprofessor Friend of Leo's

Aug 8, 2016
    Chattanooga, TN
    I started my thread in the amp-building forum, since that's where the 6G15 is usually discussed.

7. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    My bad! I kept this thread where the professor started his..

Once again I wonder into Shock Bros by mistake :)

8. Bill Moore

Bill Moore Tele-Holic

Unless they search the whole Forum, I guess the "Burnt Fingers" guys are missing out on a cool project!

9. Flakey

Flakey Friend of Leo's

Thanks Border for posting this thread. I've had my parts laying on my desk for 3 weeks watching the Prof's. build and now yours getting ideas.

Tell us about the chassis you're using?

BorderRadio likes this.

10. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    I picked up the chassis and most of my parts here in Tempe at Antique Electronic Supply (tubesandmore). It's a Hammond 1441-18BK3, but also comes in plain steel. I plan on grinding off the paint under the FETs to make sure I have no issues with it being the heat sink.

The faceplate sticker I purchased from Surfy Industries is printed vinyl, no surprise, but it wouldn't stick to the faceplate as hoped. There's too much texture on the box. I used some white styrene sheets I had laying around to make a backing for the sticker instead. If you are using the sticker faceplate (which works with the Hammond 1441-18 box), get the plain steel version, that might adhere much better. There's an aluminun chassis available too with the same dimension, 13.5" X 5" X2". The styrene faceplate was a hassle, I had the power switch drift when I drilled the steel after the plastic. Bummer.

I cut off the end of the faceplate to bring the Color switch around to the right side. I'll draft some graphics and have it printed later on when all is finished. It's a six position switch that will have a series of capacitor values to alter the resonant frequency of the reverb, or so I read. Here's the link for that mod:

https://surfguitar101.com/forums/topic/28840/

11. King Fan

King Fan Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Jan 1, 2013
    Salt Lake City
    Kowabunga, dude. This surfy stuff is wild.

Did you tell us what you were doing for a tank?

BorderRadio likes this.

12. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    It’s the recommended MOD 4AB3C1B, but I’m planning on trying others in the future. I still need to understand how to suspend it, and I need a bag I suppose.

13. awasson

awasson Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    Cool! I was looking for this build. I caught myself over at the Surfy Bear site the other day after reading up on the one @theprofessor built. I like that colour switch mod idea. Everything looks great so far.

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Jul 18, 2010
    Western Connecticut
    Vertical or horizontal mount? Vertical is the 4AB3C1C. That's what I put in my Revibe, just bolted directly (with rubber grommets in the holes, and it works well. No bag.

Flakey likes this.

15. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    I would think a small linear supply would be sufficient, like a good quality pedal supply. I’ve used the Fulltone supplies before and they seem to be quiet; I would hesitate to use a switcher for audio, as they tend to radiate noise. (Although the noise frequencies are generally much higher than anyone can hear.)

16. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Yes, you’re right about B versus C. Here’s what Surfy Bear said about the B version:

“The 4AB3C1B is the type most people use. Type B will give maximum separation between spring and transducer in horizontal position. Type C in vertical. The actual difference between B and C type is only the position of the suspension springs. This can also be changed easily by just moving the spring from one hole to the next Vertical position will give maximum protection against hard bumps up-down. Sensibility to vibrations are the same. Fender use vertical and horizontal position pans in their products. My experience is that it's difficult to notice a difference. The sound is the same.”

I’ll have to take a look later to see what’s going on with ‘moving the spring’, because I do plan on mounting vertical. No bag for now if it worked for you, moosie!

moosie likes this.

17. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Those were my concerns too. There’s 100mV of ripple rated for the Velleman 25w, which is a better value than the one a member used on the SurfGuitar101 forum. I tried to move the transformers as far as possible from the audio path but it’s still not tested yet. I haven’t mounted the switching PS, I can easily swap it out.

Since this is a Class A amplifier, I need about 1 amp at 12 volts, maybe a little more since I have a lamp and may integrate a second Surfy Bear (stereo, presets) or Surfy Trem circuit into the housing down the line. The Fulltone website says their wall-warts are switching, and none are rated for 1000mA. If the noise level is low, I’ll stick with the Velleman, otherwise I might splurge on the more expensive linear supply.

18. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    What was your source for a lamp assembly (jewel) and bulb ?
    Thanks !

19. BorderRadio

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ

20. blues bondsman

blues bondsman Tele-Holic

Feb 12, 2012
    Indiana
    Very cool !
    I'm watching a few power supplies like the one your using on ebay.
    I just got an e-mail from Surfy saying thay can't ship till after 03/21 so I'll be a while waiting on my kit.
    Can You Please show more gut shots as you go ?
    Probably going the tool box method myself, only hoping for a flat top vintage rusty one !

SebC likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.