Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

More Speakers = Louder?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by TwoTones, Apr 26, 2010.

1. TwoTones

TwoTones TDPRI Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Hey, I'm trying to get more volume out of my head. Would adding more speakers make it louder? To be honest, I'm not really entirely sure how it works. Why is 4x12" better than 2x12"?

2. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2006
    Maryland
    Who says a 4 x 12 is better then a 2 x 12? It is different for sure, but if you do not prefer the difference, then it is not better.

The best way to increase volume from a given amp is to use more effiecent speakers, a 3db increase in the speaker effiecency is like doubling the power of the amp.

3. Tim Armstrong

Tim Armstrong Super Moderator Staff Member

Mar 5, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    Admin Post
    Not better, perhaps, but certainly louder. More speakers or larger speakers will physically move more air, generate larger sound waves. A 50-watt amp through a 4x12 cab (for example) will be somewhat louder than a 50-watt amp through a 2x12 cab.

Tim

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    The important factors are number of speakers and efficiency of the speakers. I would imagine that a pair of speakers rated for 102dB would likely be louder than a quad of speakers at 95dB. If you want a louder amp, check out your speakers and see if you can find a more efficient set to install in your current cab...unless, of course, you really WANT a 4x12.

Open back/closed back can have an impact, too.

6. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2006
    Maryland
    Only if you assume all drivers involved are of equal effiency. When you start mixing drivers with effiencies that differ by more then 3db, you end up with less volume then the higher effiency one by themselves

7. TwoTones

TwoTones TDPRI Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Ok, I guess I should clarify what I'm dealing with. Right now I have a 30watt tube PA turned amp head. I'm running it through a homemade cabinet (looks more like a home stereo speaker cabinet than an amp cab) with a 12" Celestion Vintage 30 (which I've assumed to be pretty decent of a speaker). The sound is really full and bassy (which is a good thing, for sure). I'm wondering what another 12" speaker would do for me.

ps. Sure, nobody has ever said a 4x12" is BETTER than a 2x12". I'm just curious as to what the differences would be.

8. studebaker hawk

studebaker hawk Tele-Holic

Jan 30, 2006
    I can tell you a Champ through 2 12's is fuller and louder than 1 8.

9. Happy Tele

Happy Tele Tele-Holic

Apr 12, 2010
    vb
    30 watts should be loud as fark

I really want to turn my twin reverb into a 1x15

10. marshman

marshman Friend of Leo's

Feb 1, 2007
    SE PA
    The V30 is pretty efficient, 100dB, so it's pretty loud. there aren't many speakers out there with higher efficiencies, to get things louder with just one speaker, but they are out there. Check the Eminence Red, White & Blue series--the Cannibus Rex is 102dB, which is a start, and there are others.

11. SirJackdeFuzz

SirJackdeFuzz Friend of Leo's

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    If you want more volume from your amp head, i would suggest you look into a 4X12 with more efficient speakers.

Something like a 4X12 cab with 102dB speakers would deff be (((louder))) than your current amp with say, two 97B drivers.

PS : what amp do you have right now ?

12. SirJackdeFuzz

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    Not sure if you will be able to hear a volume diff between a 102 & 103 dB driver, but Emi has both the Red Fang & Wizzard at 103dB !

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=REDFANG16&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=4

http://www.eminence.com/guitar_speaker_detail.asp?model=THEWIZARD&speaker_size=12&SUB_CAT_ID=4

13. On the other hand, I don't think sensitivity should be your primary consideration when choosing a speaker. Tone should be!

14. davidge1

davidge1 Friend of Leo's

Nov 13, 2006
    USA
    My understanding of a "more efficient" speaker is that it can handle more wattage without breaking up... meaning that you can turn the amp up louder. I don't think that a more efficient speaker would be any louder at the same amp volume than one that was rated lower... or would it?

I would think that 4 speakers is going to louder than 2. How could it not be?

15. alexpigment

alexpigment Tele-Afflicted

Apr 2, 2008
    Austin TX
    What's funny is a non-gearhead would probably think that is the craziest statement ever. If X power is going through 2 speakers = Y volume, X power through 4 speakers seems like it would produce 1/2 Y volume.

I know that's not the case, but it just seems so weird to see a statement that doesn't look right on paper.

16. SirJackdeFuzz

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa
    A fully cranked Deluxe Reverb with a 50W 95dB speaker will deff not be as loud as the same cranked Deluxe Reverb with a 50W 103dB driver from the same Co.

17. bignote

bignote Tele-Meister

Aug 10, 2009
    Okinawa, Japan
    UH, No would be my guess. There are alot of factors that influence volume.

18. celeste

celeste Friend of Leo's

Jun 24, 2006
    Maryland
    No, efficiency is how much sound a speaker makes for a given power input. The usual rating is db 1 watt at 1 meter. So a 95db speaker will be 95 db's loud 39.? inches away from it if you feed it 1 watt, and a 102db speaker will be 102 db's at the same distance with the same watt. if we double the power to the 95 db speaker, it is still only 98 db's loud at that 1 meter, because DB is a log scale, not a linear one and twice the power is only a 3 db increase. Now, if we assume that doubling the radiating area will double the volume, two of our 95 db speakers are only going to be 98db loud at that 1 meter. If we double it again, so we have 4 95 db speakers and 1 watt, we are up to 101db at 1 meter with 1 watt input, and our single 102 db speaker is still louder because it is more efficient at making sound from electrial energy. That is how 4 speakers could not be louder then 2 or even 1.

19. SirJackdeFuzz

Jan 18, 2007
    South Africa

OK, so you said it much better than i did ;)

20. BooneDog

BooneDog Tele-Meister

Nov 19, 2007
    Florida
    It's so interesting to see this thread. This weekend I pulled all my various amps together, and my 4x10 cabinet with 8 ohm speakers. I was experimenting with every combination of speaker/amp I could get. I have output jacks on amps, and was swapping wires on the cabinet to play 1 x 10, 2x10, 4x10 depending on the amp. I was doing stuff like playing the Fender Champ 600 through a Line 6 8 inch speaker. Having my Vox DA5 power my 4x10 cab, having my son's Line 6 run that cabinet, etc. Playing guitar through my Bass amp.

since I could run the 1x10 and 4x10 at 8 ohms, I was very suprised when bouncing back and forth with everything else EXACTLY the same, that the 4 speakers didn't really sound louder than the 1. Actually the 1 speaker was, if not louder, it was 'harsher', sharper, sounding than the same amp, same settings, same guitar with 4 speakers.

I was also surprised how much, even at lower volume, I liked the 4 speakers over 2 or 1.
    (the Blackheart has 4,8,16 ohm outs, so I can run that amp at 1,2,4 speakers in that cabinet.)

Part of my reason for doing this, is I was thinking of taking two of the 10 inch speakers out of the cabinet, for use in other projects, but after this weekend, I'm leaving it as it is.
    None of this is scientific, or precise, just one person with 5 amps and a telecaster, but it was pretty entertaining and educational.

21. hooch1

hooch1 Tele-Meister

Feb 11, 2010
    Austin
    My ss Princeton Chorus is 2x10 and is rated at around 25 watts per speaker (or thats what I heard).

My Bugera is 18 watts through a 12.

The Princeton Chorus is much louder.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.