Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

More evidence that Florida IS crazy!

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by DougM, Feb 11, 2019 at 12:24 AM.

1. Bones

Bones Telefied Ad Free Member

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    My biological father once sent me a check for $50k, I tore it up and threw it in the garbage. $1.8M would be tough to pass up, but if you truly believe the property is "sacred", whatever that means to you, then maybe it can't be bought. This original story was written 5 years ago, it still has not been sold, so for whatever reasons, he's sticking to his guns. Maybe he's righteous, maybe he has a trust fund no one knows about, but clearly he doesn't need or want the money and he's not getting any younger. He's certainly not living off the income generated by his partner's "art". :p

BorderRadio and nojazzhere like this.
  2. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Anything is possible with real estate. I still kick myself that rather than buy a bunch of 8k beach blocks 30 years ago I spent more on cars and a boat instead. Those blocks are all worth over 400k each now and my boat and cars have all been junked.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 8:20 PM
    telemnemonics likes this.
  3. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
    You should move to Dickey Betts' neighborhood near Sarasota!

4. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    headed north of there..already had someone from Tampa reach out from there to do a project..looking forward to outside gigs

dkmw likes this.
  5. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Doctor of Teleocity

Mar 2, 2010
    Maine
    Naw, the river skeeters there are like 20 feet long and have ten foot wooden legs, drive you crazy and you're not allowed to swat 'em or shoot 'em.

bftfender likes this.
  6. bftfender

bftfender Friend of Leo's

Dec 21, 2017
    York PA
    always spent my summers at grandparents during summers as a kid in Homasossa on Crystal river in their back yard...we tubed those spring rivers right over hundreds of em, they stay down at bottom when its real hot. gotta watch your dog tho

telemnemonics likes this.
  7. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

I'm sympathetic to both burial ground respect, and archaeological value.

Finally read the Miami Times story. Lot size is 5000 sq ft of property...next to a Seven Eleven. This fella has lived an amazing life, with amazing travels, discoveries around the world. And he's found an amazing number of historic remains on his 5000 square feet of property, historic items, prehistoric remains, geological oddities, amazingly all concentrated in this tiny lot...maybe too amazing?

JuneauMike likes this.
  8. Dude's shack is probably concealing the mythical 'Fountain of Youth' that those Spanish invaders were seeking. Sweet!

Bones likes this.
  9. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Doesn’t indicate anything. Do you know any Diné or Puebloan people? There is a reason some last names are Latino/Hispanic, not that I know anything about this specific individual. I don’t.

10. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    I wonder if in the future people will preserve certain pieces of land due to what we do on them today.

11. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Apr 2, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Battling social ills and running a lucrative business are actions that don’t have to be mutually exclusive of each other, or even a primary function. It’s not the same as individuals living their personal lives. This is an individual choosing to resist things like urban sprawl and gentrification. Yes, he feels it’s sacred land. People are quick to pull some ‘crazy’ card because this guy operates on things beyond monetary value, yet still know how to get pissed if somebody ever developed Arlington Cemetery for big profits. Every grown-up knows what sacred, hollowed ground means, don’t pretend when standing at 1 World Trade Center. I don’t think money is sacred, but sooo many people do...

Sure, lots of kids have a hard time picking up their previous generations’ knowledge and devotions, but they’ll come around. Or not—the ol’ adaptation vs resilience gig. Folks tend to settle down and realize what really matters, usually a little late in life. The natives you know are probably trying to express this, but maybe an assumption is made that one or two speak for all, when it’s really just a person’s impressions and feelings of the matter.

Hey man, no wrong here :)

dkmw and telemnemonics like this.
  12. Wallo Tweed

Wallo Tweed Friend of Leo's

Dec 6, 2011
    Penns Wood
    Our state has over 450,000 acres of preserved farm land.
    Some people are more concerned about the future, and those that come after them than selling out for the highest buck.
    YMMV

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019 at 10:57 AM
  13. dkmw

dkmw Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Mar 30, 2016
    Florida USA
  14. JuneauMike

JuneauMike Friend of Leo's

May 5, 2015
    Alaska
    I read the Daily Mail story and the Miami Herald story on this guy and I think he's a nut job with a paper thin claim of actual Native ancestry, which in this case is obviously moot since he's not a member of the tribe whose artifacts he's seeking to preserve. But in the category of "little pink houses for you and me" he is actually the treasure that should be preserved. It would be great if he stays put and is protected. He'd give that neighborhood what I imagine is sorely needed character. Depth.

God bless him.

telemnemonics and Bones like this.
  15. deytookerjaabs

deytookerjaabs Friend of Leo's

Jun 5, 2015
    Nashville
    Good luck.

I've read of cases involving Sports Arenas and other major projects where some level of "break/subsidy" is involved so they deem it "public interest" or whatever. They $grease$ the wheels here & there then the lawman bastardizes "eminent domain." Bing, bang, they pay "fair value" and you move out.

Depending on who wants the land and what's planned there who knows. I guess property tax in FL is different because elsewhere a major increase on property tax on a shack is basically legal eviction.

16. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Holic

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Y'all may want to give a read to Kelo v. City of New London, Ct., 545 US 469 (2005). Our U.S> constitution has been interpreted as allowing a municipality to use eminent domain to take property from one private landowner and sell it to another.

nojazzhere likes this.
  17. DougM

DougM Friend of Leo's

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    It's not like this little lot is in a pristine undeveloped area. It's in a highly developed part of urban Miami. He could take the money and use a portion of it to help those indigenous people that believe it's sacred ground.

18. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    All the more reason to preserve the tiny oasis with a natural spring. Let's say he takes the money and gives the money to Native Americans. Then what? He has no home, the money evaporates like it always does without very little progress to show and the trees and spring are lost forever.

19. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Tele-Afflicted

In Miami, would that be a real spring [underground water source pressurized by higher elevation mountain runoff] or a perforation revealing filtered Gulf water?

20. Bones

Dec 31, 2005
    Luddite Island, NY
    I'm not a hydrologist and I have not seen the spring in person and tasted the water, so I don't know. It could be fed by an underground aquifer. there are many natural springs in Florida and no mountains.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.