Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice tube amp clubs?

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by archetype, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    The 15w has a button to take it to 5watts. And yes it should cover it nicely

bsman likes this.
  2. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    Wow! Didn’t know that! Could be perfect!

3. UnbrokenChainz

UnbrokenChainz TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    San Diego
    I might be wrong but I think the switch takes it to <1 watt. It’s a nice setting for home use but is much quieter than any of the 5-watters listed.

To my ears the 15 watt one is more British voiced than Fendery. Some describe the 5-watt model as “tweed”-like, which might be a bit of a stretch, but it’s a great little Blues amp.

4. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    You may be right, but it’s a very loud 1 watt... should more like 5....:)

UnbrokenChainz likes this.
  5. cpk313

cpk313 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Allentown PA
    UPDATE: This DID NOT work, bummer, glad I didn't spend too much to figure it out but when you are plugged into the FX loop in the amp input is muted. So it is one OR the other, not both. In hindsight it would seem if something that cool would have worked probably someone brighter then I am would have figured it out already.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. FerruleCat

FerruleCat Tele-Meister

May 2, 2017
    Tulsa, OK
    NAD today; got the 15. Really impressed. The voicing is excellent -- full and still articulate, and it's dead quiet. I'm getting some nice chime right out of the gate, and the reverb is serviceable. The build quality is good, and the pots turn with a nice smooth resistance. Other than maybe trying a slightly lower gain tube in V1 for increased headroom, I don't see anything that needs changing. What they say is true!

7. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Meister

Dec 19, 2017
    Seattle, WA
    Bear in mind that, all else being equal (which it is in this case, since it's all the same amp, cabinet, and speaker), 15 watts is only 2.25 times as loud as 1 watt. Or from the other direction, 1 watt produces 45% the volume of 15 watts. So the difference won't be night and day. More like clear sky vs. thin cloud cover. You might hear more volume difference by throwing a couple rugs over the amp.

8. Deepblankspace

Deepblankspace TDPRI Member

Feb 1, 2018
    Washington
    Ive been watching these amps, its hard to justify buying amps vs building amps, but....
    When an amp comes up for 94 dollars shipped, thats hard to turn down. Enter my peavey royal 8, 94$ shipped with a microphonic power tube, luckily i had some 84s around.
    Point being, its got a master volume and makes it pretty manageable, low down dirty grind. Speaker sucks.

9. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    I just started one.

archetype likes this.
  10. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    You’re a good man (in this regard, at least). Thank you.

Keefsdad likes this.
  11. Albidextrous

Albidextrous TDPRI Member

Jul 15, 2018
    Roseville
    I’m a proud owner of the 5 watt tube amp. Love it. Haven’t done any mods (yet), but am guessing I’ll be doing some tube switching in the future. Glad to hear that folks got killer deals on the 15 watt version - I’ll be checking this and the monoprice website and notifying y’all if I see a deal on that amp.

IMO - “Stage right” is cooler sounding than “monoprice”. Monoprice sounds like a terminal illness.

12. Albidextrous

Jul 15, 2018
    Roseville
    Okay, so the 15 watt tube amp is on sale. Unfortunately, the shipping cost ($25 to Minnesota) puts the total price a couple of bucks more than what you can get it from other websites that ship for free . Any ideas on how to get the shipping for free? Sounds like there were much better deals going on earlier this year, so I may have to just wait longer.

13. Keefsdad

Keefsdad Tele-Meister

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    They had open box amps for $125 recently.

14. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Not much you can do but wait,

15. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Sunday they will probably have a 15% off sale.

16. Albidextrous

Jul 15, 2018
    Roseville
    Really nice guy just sold me his 15 watt for $150 through craigslist. He was gifted a VOX and decide to let the 5 month old monoprice go. He had switched out the old tubes with JJ’s and it sounds great. Would anyone recommend replacing the preamp tubes? I have read that it doesn’t really improve the headroom or sound all that much.

17. Albidextrous

Jul 15, 2018
    Roseville
    He only switched out the EL84 power tubes. Left the original preamps in.

18. djvu10

djvu10 TDPRI Member

Aug 29, 2018
    Southern CA
    I had never heard of Monoprice until 3 weeks ago, already spent $700 with them so far! I've read a lot of great reviews on these tube amp and have waited patiently for a decent sale. Yesterday 8/28/18, the 15 watt went on sale for $179 plus they had a one day 20% coupon that worked with the sale price, bringing the amp down to $144 plus free shipping so I bought two of them. I love hearing my keyboards in stereo and have been wanting to experiment with a stereo guitar rig. I own a few stereo pedals (delay, reverb, flanger, phaser...) but have never had a chance to run them in stereo. The set up should be pretty straight forward but tips and comments are definitely welcome!!!
    Is it possible to rig up a direct XLR output (to PA) on the back of these amps or is mic-ing the only way to go? Thanks.

MadJack likes this.
  19. Ebling

Ebling TDPRI Member

Dec 25, 2005
    15w was delivered yesterday. So far so good. Will try it with some pedals over the upcoming long weekend. Nice price for sure.

20. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Give the speaker a good amount of break in time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.