Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice/Laney 15 watter

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by Strato50, Oct 13, 2017.

1. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    They are 202.00 shipped right now...any good?..for a home use? practice amp... I want to grab one for my son for his birthday....he has a little Bandit right now and I thought this would be a good tube amp for the money...they have upgraded the reverb tank on them....so they say.

2. Strebs

Strebs Tele-Meister

Dec 24, 2015
    Birmingham, AL
    I have a 1st Generation one and love love love it! There's a huge thread on this board about them. My only gripe is that it doesn't have a headphone jack (not that many tube amps do).

3. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    So I'm confused they show the TV front version which I ordered...but now they switched them to a front control panel?..anyone ordered one recently?..what did you get?..lol

4. Cleeve

Cleeve Tele-Holic

Feb 19, 2009
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have 12 of them!
    Got them for my store a couple of weeks ago.
    The controls are on the front.
    They are all great!
    I do set the bias to my tastes using an oscilloscope on my test bench and generally check them out.
    So far every one has worked straight from the box!
    Also the smaller one with the single 6v6 in it is great, but the twelve inch reverb combo is the one.

5. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Love mine too, I have V1 with knobs on top. Ive followed the big thread and many say the bias adjustment makes a big difference along with some better tubes. Im ordering JJ's soon then doing the bias at the same time.

Heres one of the better tone demos on YT, stock M15 plugged straight in

6. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    Replace the lousyChinese tubes right away. then they sound decent. But be aware they are *very* cheaply built, with tubes stuck directly in the circuit board. this can cause heat-related problems so if you buy one (which I don't recommend - spend a little more on something built better - like with actual tube sockets at least!) *don't* let him stick it next to a wall or anything else - they need open ventilation.

And if it does have problems they're not simple to fix because of the cheap circuit boards. Ends up being time consuming and surprisingly more expensive to repair than better amps.

Despite the decent tube sound IMO they are just not worth the money - the poor build quality makes them a bad buy IMO.

7. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Yep I canceled the order...I was think maybe a little used Bugera V22 ...they pop up for 250.00 used around here.

8. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    They sound great. I love mine. Great home amp. Don't diss it if you don't have one. Sure, it's not the best built, but at $200 it kills a Blues Jr and I sold my AC15 as this sounds just as good imo.

grouchylefty and rich815 like this.

9. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

10. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    You should get one. So worth it if you like Voxy tones

11. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

With patience for one of their discount codes and frequent sales the Monoprice 15 watt can be found for about 10-15% less than the $200+ you're mentioning. Very good amp especially for the purposes you want it for. I paid about $178 net delivered for mine and some got for even less.

12. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Kill a blues jr?...no way man...my Jr is a pro gigging amp...I would take that thing to a gig.

13. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    They acknowledge that the picture is rong and doesn't match the current iteration of the amp.

14. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I'll respect your opinion. I hated the Blues Jr. Farted out, boxy, bleach. Bad trade deal.

15. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

16. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Put a WGS ET 65 in the BJ and look out. These amps are cool.. but my Jr has been a money maker for 5 years.

17. Strato50

Strato50 Tele-Meister

Mar 30, 2017
    Port Arthur TX
    Its a little hoss...volume on 2

Rick330man and warrent like this.

18. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    To each his own guys, agree to disagree.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.