Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 5 watt tube combo

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by shuggoth, Oct 15, 2015.

1. akooser

akooser TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    New Mexico
    Just got my Monoprice 5-watt amp in. How much buzz/hum should I be hearing from this thing when I'm not playing? It's not the usual Tele buzz. The amp makes the same sound with a Les Paul-style guitar with humbuckers. It gets louder when the tone is turned up. Is this normal for this amp? I'm especially curious seen I've seen reviews talking about how quiet this amp is.

Edit: Forgot to mention, it makes this same buzz-hum with nothing plugged in.

And one more edit. Here's what it sounds like:

Last edited: May 4, 2017

2. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    I couldn't hear anything on your vid. I don't remember that being an issue for me when I had the amp.

xafinity likes this.

3. akooser

akooser TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    New Mexico
    I realize it needs to be turned up quite a bit to hear the buzz. It's definitely noticeable, especially when the tone is up. Might have to take it to a local amp person. I was interested in using it for recording, but that buzz could be an issue.

I just did another video where you can hear it better. Will post shortly.

4. akooser

akooser TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    New Mexico
    Here's a better video where you can hear the buzz, especially at the end. It's noticeable when I'm standing anywhere near it.

I can live with this if it's normal. Mainly I'm just curious because my other tube amps are pretty darn quiet.

Last edited: May 4, 2017

5. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    I do remember that sound from the one that I had. It was noticeable but not too bad.

6. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI

7. akooser

akooser TDPRI Member

Oct 1, 2015
    New Mexico
    Thanks! Just want to make sure I'm not going nuts. It disappears under playing conditions, so I suppose I won't worry about it.

8. Will_White

Will_White TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Salem, OR
    Has anybody reboxed one of these so it's just a head? How small of a package can you put it in?

9. dimojoe

dimojoe Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Oct 10, 2012
    Northern Il
    I did. I built a cabinet for a 5a3 but never got around to actually building the amp so I turned the mono price into a head just for fun. IMG_20170312_183334312.jpg IMG_20170311_210632561.jpg

10. Will_White

Will_White TDPRI Member

Feb 28, 2017
    Salem, OR
    What cans have you tried it with and how does it sound with bigger cabs?

11. jmgruber

jmgruber Tele-Meister

Mar 23, 2006
    Somewhere in SD
    Picked up one of these a month ago. I swapped out the tubes for some NOS. Do I need to bias the amp? Manual and online search aren't turning up anything. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2017

12. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI

13. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    I dont know about the 5 watt, but it is common for the 15 watt to have a cold bias setting. its worth checking into I would think

14. randomhitz

randomhitz Tele-Meister

Jan 29, 2008
    Missoula, MT
    A little FYI--Somewhere back in this thread is a post about unplugging the cable that provides negative feed back. Seemed pretty straight forward--just disconnect the cable. Did that and the amp stopped working. Could see or smell anything that appeared hinky. I downloaded a schematic that was created by a guy over on Harmony Central and on it was a resistor labeled "fusible resistor", a resistor that also can act like a fuse. Replaced it with a standard resistor and was back in business. I'll try to dig up the link to the schematic if anyone has a need.

xafinity likes this.

15. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    Unintended Sound Improvement

Yesterday we were at a warehouse furniture sale and I saw this solid teak pedestal with a huge discount. As we looked around the warehouse, I pondered picking it up to place one of my small amps on it. Obviously I got it...but what an unintended outcome! I think it does look pretty cool, but the effect on sound with my Monoprice 5 watter is incredible.

The first is the clarity in sound when playing standing as it brings it closer to ear level. The second is that the semi open back cab in that corner definitely makes it much more dimensional...sounds much bigger than an 8" speaker. And the third and most significant is the increased and solid bass. I'm guessing it is all that wood with the hollow interior.

fullsizeoutput_11e6.jpeg fullsizeoutput_11e7.jpeg

jsp737 and jimytheassassin like this.

16. keenast

keenast NEW MEMBER!

Apr 8, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Wondering if somebody tried to fit and squeeze a 10" speaker inside this little guy - I really like the sound but I'm missing them lower frequencies..

17. ninethirty

ninethirty TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It's $90 again with free shipping at Monoprice. That seems to be a pretty common price nowadays (after the redesign prices seem consistently cheaper?) but free shipping is a nice touch.

xafinity likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.