Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 5 watt tube combo

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by shuggoth, Oct 15, 2015.

1. DannyStereo

DannyStereo Poster Extraordinaire

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Too true. But even a tube swap on this guy means taking the back panel off.

2. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    I've got all JJ's in mine with a Jensen C8R I got for no cost using GC points. Now it's what I play 75% of the time. Simply sweet.

DannyStereo likes this.

3. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    How do you like the C8R? I looked at that one as well, but I was going for something to tame highs. I am afraid the Mod may have tamed them TOO much?

4. Treynor

Treynor Tele-Meister

Feb 6, 2016
    Dallas, TX
    It took around 10 hours for the speaker to break in. When I first put it in, I was very impressed with how clear and articulate it was, with better bottom end. But I was concerned it might emphasize the highs too much. But after break-in, I am thoroughly happy. I like playing this amp wide open volume wise...in either input jack...using my guitar volume to clean things up. Used this way the speaker is definitely not too bright, bust just right, IMO.

Chicago Matt and DannyStereo like this.

5. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    Anybody using a 12at7 or lower gain preamp tube?

6. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    I keep getting a little bit of "fart out" even when I use an external speaker. Could I have a bad cap?

7. DannyStereo

Aug 13, 2014
    Kelso, Washington
    It's mostly when I use my Walrus Voyager overdrive.

8. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    Just bought one off Reverb. Didn't get the great deal that you guys did but still cheap. Liking what I'm hearing from ya'll and look forward to getting it next week. Just using it for living room practice but it still needs to sound good right? Keeping an eye on your speaker swaps. We'll see. Glad there seems to be a lot of like for this little guy.

Treynor likes this.

9. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    She cometh in the morn! Have been wanting to buy a Champ for practice and hoping this will dissuade me. At least I think I'm hoping.

Treynor likes this.

10. Mr Green Genes

Mr Green Genes Tele-Afflicted

Feb 23, 2016
    MI

11. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    Thanks!

12. shuggoth

shuggoth TDPRI Member

Mar 27, 2015
    ms
    Has anyone checked the specs to see if the output transformer would let it take a 6l6?

13. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Dec 24, 2015
    my Mom's basement
    sure plug it in and crank it up

14. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    UPS F-I-N-A-L-L-Y got here. Cute little guy. Looks good decently built and sounds great for the money. Up to about 10 o'clock the tone works for me but I'll be curious about how the speaker does after it breaks in. I've got a feeling a new speaker is in my future. May of the posts her already have me thinking about which to pick.

Anyhoo, no complaints so far.

Treynor likes this.

15. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    Whats the diff between a 6V6S and a 6V6GT? Are both appropriate for this amp?

16. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Tele-Afflicted

Aug 23, 2014
    Woodstock
    Ive used both. This is what my ears hear:
    • GT is more like the original, rich with smooth breakup.
    • S, if you are talking about the JJ, is a little tighter and thumpier in the bass with more defined treble and maybe a little more headroom. Leans a little toward a 6L6 sound.
    I would say try both and see what you like. Both are great. The JJ 6V6S seems to last forever too.

17. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    Thanks! I think I will try both. Good idea!

18. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I like Tong-Sol power tube in this amp. I have a Svetlana in the preamp (12Ax7), but a Tung-Sol preamp is another good choice.

The Tung-Sol and Svetlana 12AX7s are similar, but to me the Svet leans a little smoother, and the Tung-Sol a little grittier. Both are very good inexpensive preamp tubes.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2017
    Sandhill69 likes this.

19. vashondan

vashondan Tele-Holic

May 21, 2016
    Seattle
    I ordered a Tung Sol pre and a JJ 6V6S. Couldn't find a JJ 6V6GT. Now trying to decide between a Jupiter or WGS speaker. Ya know, just in case!

20. Mr Green Genes

Feb 23, 2016
    MI
    I have the Jupe in mine, which I really like. It's actually made by WGS.

Both are excellent choices.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.