Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 5 watt 8" combo thread ($99)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Fullmoon07, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    Do we hear a clean tone demonstrated in this video? I think not.
    At Vol 5 and with Tone 5 it sounded over driven to me.
    I am curious how the Monopro sounds with Volume at 3 and Tone at 3?

Monoprice 5 watt combo amp
    8" Celestion Custom
    Pre-amp: ECC83 12AX7 tube
    Power amp: 6V6GT tube
    Weight: 13.2 lbs

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  2. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    Fender currently sells a "Champ '57 Custom" in tweed for $999. It has marvelous clarity and warmth. I plugged a hollow body jazz guitar with P90 pickups into it and it was clearer and warmer than all the other amps in Guitar Center.
    "Champ '57 Custom" comes with a $55 Weber Signature 8" Alnico type speaker in it. Maybe the same Weber speaker installed in the Monoprice could be substantial improvement. I think I might try it. What do you think?

What would be the next single most important mod after the Weber speaker upgrade to get a clean clear warm jazz tone like the "Champ '57 Custom" tweed does?

3. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Yorkshire
    The Celestion 8" speaker fitted to the Monoprice needs running in. They're harsh, bass shy and zizzy. Almost 'cold' until they've been ragged for a few hours. Then they're fine. Really. Folk just don't give them a chance. We're talking many hours of use here.
    The Ruby/Shuguang 12AX7 is a valve that I've replaced in every V1 position in many amps. It too tends towards a tone I don't like. In my Champ(s) I prefer a 12AY7. Much better. Warmer, rounder, smoother. Still capable of peeling paint if needed, but for the first half of the rotation of the volume control, you are in control. Electro-Harmonix make a nice one. The JJ 12AX7 is merely OK, if a little dark. The JJ12AY7 is uninspiring, but their 5751 does sterling service in my Cub.
    The Ruby/Shuguang 6V6 is OK. Much better[1] sounds to be had with a NOS 6V6GT or a Soviet era NOS 6p6s. The JJ 6V6 is OK too.

Run the speaker in, replace the 12AX7 with something American, European or Russian and enjoy. Consider a 6p6s. The real beauty of such a simple circuit is things like valve swaps are easy to hear.
    If you have an 8 Ohm cab, run the Monoprice through it. You'll be surprised what it can do, oh, keep the tone at noon or below :)

[1] Remember, my ears hear things differently to your ears. Valves are cheap. Good tone is priceless.

bender66 and bgmacaw like this.
  4. Djentleman Dan

Djentleman Dan Tele-Holic

Jul 30, 2018
    Moorpark, CA
    That amp at Monoprice is 15% off today...

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  5. Obsessed

Obsessed Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 21, 2012
    Montana
    Not sure that the comparison is very fair, but it was an excellent review. I would like to hear the Monoprice after the speaker breaks in and with some higher quality tubes. To me it already sounds better than the Champ 600, but a head to head with that amp would be a better comparison as he stated.

6. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    I received my 5 watt 8” mono price Champ Clone two days ago and it exceeds my expectations. It is warm and has great clarity, just like the $1000 Fender 68 Custom Champ I admire and almost bought. I am about to load a weber signature 8S alnico speaker into the Monoprice and I have also ordered a pair of gold lion tubes to swap in there. I am thinking of ordering a second mono price and so I can run my digital delay in stereo. These things only weighs 13 pounds but they sound so great .

old soul likes this.
  7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    The Monoprice sounds worth 100 bux.

The Champ sounds worth 500 bux.

They sound extremely different. The Monoprice is a very "modern sounding" amp to me. It sounds far better with the input attenuator engaged IMO.

The Champ stays remarkably clean for such a low-powered amp.

I will stick with my Gibson Skylark for now. I do like the external speaker jack, the attenuator switch, and the tone knob on the Monoprice, though. Those are good features, especially on a cheap-ass amp. If I had more use for one, and didn't have the Skylark, I'd probably get the Monoprice, and run it with the input padded all the time.

I wonder if the external speaker jack could be easily converted into a headphone jack, or if a headphone jack could be easily added. That said, I am extremely happy with my Vox AmPlug Twin for that purpose.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  8. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    The new Fender 68 Custom Champ is $1,000. It uses a Weber Signature 8" alnico speaker. That it the same speaker I am replacing into my Monoprice. The Fender Champ uses Groovetubes. I am replacing both of mine with Genalex Russian Gold Lion Tubes ($40 each, extended plates, the most detail and clarity in its league). I expect this will enable my Monoprice to surpass the Fender 68 Custom Champ in tone. It already has the same type of clarity as the Fender with its cheaper Chinese components. It is satisfying as is, but I am going to great lengths .

Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  9. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    Update: I've installed both Genalex Gold Lion tubes (6V6 and 12AX7) in my Monoprice 5 watt 8" amp. This has substantially improved the clarity. It is now clean all the way up to Volume Level 3:00 o'clock. Tone at 9:00 o'clock sounds balanced. The stock Chinese tubes only allowed for clean up to about Volume 10:00 o'clock.

I also removed the Celestion nameplate from the front grill, which looks cleaner now .

Next to upgrade: Replace the stock Celestion 15 watt 8" 8 ohm ribbed speaker with a Weber Signature 8" 15 watt 8 ohm ribbed alnico 8S speaker. This is the same typr of Weber speaker that comes in Fender's current $999 '68 Custom Champ tweed amp.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2018
  10. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    I thought these Monoprice were the Laney Cub knockoffs? Or are Cubs knockoffs of a Champ?

*edit 15s more in the vid & he answered my question.

11. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    Two days ago I installed a Weber 8” 8ohm alnico Signature 8S speaker. It’s the same speaker in Fender’s 58 Custom Champ reissue that sells for a grand. The Weber speaker and the Genalex tubes have given this amp the tone I was after: Warm and with great detailed clarity, la Fender’s 58 Custom reissue. It gets louder than before with the Weber in it. Now I am awaiting a Monoprice delay mini pedal I ordered to simulate a reverb. It was $28 and is a clone of the Donner Yellow pedal delay. It is digital but simulates analog.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    Djentleman Dan and old soul like this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Jan 18, 2010
    on my bike
    Still on sale for $89. Couldn't help myself.

Treynor likes this.
  13. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Detroit
    Should I get two fives or the 15 ?

Sounds like a dumb question… But is it?

14. ninethirty

ninethirty TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Durham, NC
    Yes.

Oh, you said or... :)

Tough one. I have a 15 and a 5. The 15 has far more features (fx loop, master volume, reverb) and its tone is more Marshall-esque. The 5 is clearly Champ-derived. Doesn't do much, but it does what it does very well.
    I'd prefer to have one of each, personally, rather than two of the same amp.

bender66 likes this.
  15. ninethirty

ninethirty TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2009
    Durham, NC
    It's a rebranded Laney Cub 8, which is pretty close to a Champ. Well, a Tweed Princeton really, since it has a tone control. I don't recall how close it is, but it sure sounds pretty close.

bender66 likes this.
  16. mojah63

mojah63 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Massachusetts
    The Champ stays clean because the B+ is wicked high. I've seen Silverface Champs well over 400Vdc with plate dissipation 120% of max. I'd imagine the 5 watt monoprice is probably a more tweed like spec 340Vdc. (line voltage 1955 = 110Vac) I know the 15 watt monoprice voltage is lower and they bias cold.

17. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Tele-Afflicted

Aug 30, 2011
    U.S.A.
    Total gibberish to me. You are speaking to someone who can't appreciate your post. Sorry. All I know is what I posted before.

18. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    I put Genalex Gold Lion Tubes and a Weber 8S alnico speaker and it is very clean and warm . It sounds as good as a real Champ.

amp.inside.jpg

bender66 likes this.
  19. Fullmoon07

Fullmoon07 Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2018
    CA
    Replaced the white chicken head knobs with black ones. Removed the Celestion logo.

IMG_4702.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.