Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. matt117

matt117 Tele-Holic

May 12, 2014
    Manitoba
    Hows the amp compared to your ac15? Does it do the vox thing?

2. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    So the monotones are another new amp that sounds so bad you have to replace half the amp before its playable?:eek:
    Are there no new amps that are usable out of the box? :(

just kidding, FWIW my 5w monotone sounds great stock, guess I got a rare one. Of course I did remove that garish celestion badge. That helped a lot.

Good tone is so much easier to find when you are 70 yrs old and your hearing has been toast for the last 40 years.

Last edited: May 6, 2016

3. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Its been well over a month, I'm still totally smitten with this amp!

Hands down it's better sounding than any Blues JR I ever owned.

4. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    The MP15 (with Reaper) is definitely higher gain then the AC15 (with Alnico Blue Dog). It sounds more like my Lil Night Train when pushed than my AC15. When cleaned up it sounds Vox-ish. The AC15 is creamier and has a nicer harmonic vibe to it, the "British Invasion" sound we're all familiar with. The MP15 has a tighter tone, mostly in the lows, a more modern "British" sound.

Both through my 2 X 12" with Greenback/Green Beret, the AC15 still has a bit more of the sweet harmonics and a little more the Vox chime. The MP15 is still a tighter more modern tone. Sort of a '70's tone, while the AC15 is the '60's tone.

5. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Has anyone thrown a Celestion Alnico Blue in one yet?

I'm tempted, but I foolishly sold the last one I had years ago.. And the price for new one exceeds the cost of the amp by a fair amount lol..

BTW... here is a post-mortem on the original reverb tank, I was too lazy to walk out to the garage and grab the right size screwdriver... So I just ripped it apart.

[​IMG]

JFOC likes this.

6. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Last edited: May 15, 2016

7. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Well, I couldn't help myself..

I horse traded some jetski parts with a buddy... and got his mint (but well broken in) Blue Alnico.

It's every bit as tasty as I thought it would be!!
    It's much more articulate, more sparkle in the upper mids.

He wanted my stock speaker to play around with, but I held my ground and kept it.
    If/when I move on, there is no way in hell I was gonna peddle a $200 amp with a $240 speaker. :p

[​IMG]

MadJack likes this.

8. AndrewG

AndrewG Tele-Afflicted

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    I suspect these amps originate from the same factory as those marketed in Britain under the BelCat or SubZero badges. If I'm correct then the following should be of interest to anyone valuing their personal safety: http://www.ratvalveamps.com/subzero-tube-20r

9. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    These are Laney CUB 12's in monoprice skin

10. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal

They sure look similar... I took out the chassis screws in question, they are correctly sized... so no issue there.

I would like to swap out the tone caps with orange drops though..... It's almost impossible to distinguish bandwidth changes from 1 to 10... Nothing my pedals can't accomplish however.

11. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2008
    Chicago
    I downgraded the speaker on my amp from the Seventy-80 to a Celestion Rocket 50 that I had lying around. It breaks up earlier now. The overdrive is very smooth. I like it a lot.

12. CIVENGR

CIVENGR TDPRI Member

Dec 5, 2010
    Ruston, Louisiana
    My MP15 and DIY telecaster. image.jpg Just got this amp in on Friday. My first tube amp! Absolutely loving this thing. But sadly the red jewel light fades in and out... The sound stays strong though. Any ideas?

Also. I want to replace the reverb. I like the long delay reverb it already has. For the exception of the "robot in a hallway" noise of the stock reverb. I am considering upgrading to the MOD 8EBC31B based on MadJacks recommendation in this thread back in March. I trust the impedance and whatnot works out. But I admit I don't know a thing about how to replace one.. all resources online seem to just switch out the tanks but this is tricker since there are no RCA connections. Can someone point me to a how to on that?

13. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    I put the MOD 8EB2C1B tank in mine.... Just grab a decent RCA cable, a soldering iron and some heat shrink.

If you don't solder, I don't think it's that critical of a connection (look at the tiny wire gauge on the stock unit) Would probably be fine with butt connectors and tape.

14. Telepi

Telepi Tele-Afflicted

Apr 22, 2009
    Missouri
    Has anyone taken the chassis out? I'm curious about how the tube sockets attach to the pcb and how it compares to other big names that are made over seas. Same quality? Better quality?

I'm not getting at chassis mount is better than pcb mount. Just wondering if the tube heat could cause the pcb to get too hot and wear out sooner.

15. Jeff6556

Jeff6556 NEW MEMBER!

May 13, 2016
    Texas
    Really nice...I just ordered one...is the one you are playing modded?

16. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I have a Laney VC15

17. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2008
    Chicago
    Has anyone tried a Jensen Mod 12-35 in their Monoprice or Laney?

18. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    I've had my 15 for just under 5 months. After some experimenting, I am really enjoying it.

The stock Celestion 70/80 is a pretty good sounding speaker in this amp, but I went ahead and experimented with lots of other speakers anyways. The alnico Avatar SA40 sounded very nice, as did the Eminence Legend 122 alnico. The big bell alnicos - the Celestion blue, the Eminence Red Fang, the Avatar A25, etc. - don't fit. My original leanings toward the Celestion G12M-25 Greenback proved to be correct. With humbucker guitars in particular, the amp really comes to life with the Greenback.

Power tubes: I really like the Ei EL84s. I tried JJs, Sovteks, Gold Lions, and others. The Ei pairs sound best.

V1 tube: this made a noticeable difference. The stock Shuguang 12AX7 sounds very respectable, but I also tried a JAN Philips 12AX7WA, Sovtek 12AX7LPS, JJ ECC 83S, JJ 803, and others. I really like NOS 5751 tubes. They just about always sound better. In this amp, a JAN Philips 5751 sounded better than the 12AX7s. However, an old 1950s production GE "black plate" 5751 took the cake. It gives the amp a fuller, richer tone, great detail and definition.

Great little amp. I wish it had a standby switch, but tones this thing puts out at a bargain price are quite good.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2016

19. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Oh it fits.... It just needs a little convincing is all. :p

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

My only complaint (slight) is I have to push it a little harder to get it where I want... Still completely enjoyable at late night volumes... Although I admit that sometimes...I fear my wife is being too kind when she say's she can't hear it.

She's stayed married to me for almost 20 years now, that alone is a testament to her patience level. :p

20. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Unscrew the bezel and fit the lamp correctly. They're a bayonet light bulb that hasn't been fitted properly and they sort of rattle around a bit making random contact when just dropped in. Note that on the Cub schematics they show an LED, even the parts listing shows an LED, but they're old fashioned filaments.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.