Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    Like I've said before, it's a good amp, but it won't replace my AC15.

2. mikeyjames56

mikeyjames56 TDPRI Member

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    I've been looking at one of these guys, both the 5 watt and 15 watt, to get back into the tube amp thing on a tight budget. I've got a Super Champ XD that isn't currently in the same state as I am, and a little Vox Pathfinder 10 I have next to my desk. As a bedroom player in an apartment, the 5 watt seems appealing, I know it won't be a quiet bedroom amp, but certainly won't shake the windows as the hotrod deluxe I used to have did. I was thinking this one would curb my fender-y tweed craving.

Or would I be better off getting the 15, with it's 1 watt setting and additional controls? The reverb is a nice addition despite how bad it seemingly is, but I have a boss FRV-1 that I love and does all the spring reverb I could need. I think the only other thing is the 5 watt has been pushed back to May 15th whereas I could get the 15 much sooner (barring waiting for a free shipping/coupon deal). The extra headroom would be nice, but probably not utilized all too often.

3. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    Hi, I own the 15 watt combo and to me it sounds very British ( Marshall,Vox). The 1 watt settings works very well for low volume bedroom playing and even playing with a band, there's a huge range off volume and distortion in the 1 watt setting. When I want to plug straight into the amp I usually go for the 1 watter but there's plenty of clean headroom also so it takes pedals/multifx well.
    I hope I helped you decide, I think either choice you make, you'll be happy.

LordByron likes this.

4. mikeyjames56

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    That is very helpful, thank you! Part of me is into the idea of the small tube amp combo, but the 15 watt and 12inch speaker allow the possibility to expand should I really want to. The 1 watt setting is certainly a plus. I'll have to sleep on it and see where I'm at after rent is paid. I wonder how a Jazzmaster sounds through one of these, that's my usual #1 player

5. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    The flexibility you get with the 15W, I think, is well worth it. I have had mine now for almost a year and still love it. I have not played it with a JM, but I have played it with Strats (SSS and HSS), Teles, Multiple p-90 equipped guitars (Gibson Memphis, EPi 339 Pro P-90, LP Jr., Novo Serus J) and HB equiped guitars ranging from an LP Studio, a CS 339, a 335, a couple of differnt Gretschs, and a several Reverends sporting everything from strat and tele-style single coils to P-90s to HBs. Every single one of those guitars sounded great with the 15W.

While it is neither a Vox or a Marshall, you can definitely here tinges of both. For the money, this is a great, flexible amp that is well constructed. It's only shortcoming is a slightly janky reverb tank. (It's not bad sounding, but it does sometime vibrate and rattle at certain volumes. It has not been bad or consistent enough for me to invest time in the various suggested fixes out there, let alone to replace it.) It is just plain a really solid value-priced amp. I doubt you would be disappointed with it.

6. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Theres a 10% discount till Friday with free shipping so i ordered mine today. Love my MP 5 watter (after tube and speaker swap) so i'll see how much more i'll like the 15

7. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    I finally got around to swapping out the pathetic little reverb tank, went with the MOD 8EB2C1B... It's still not gonna help you with Dick Dale stuff, but it's a 100% improvement!

What tubes and speaker did you go with dgami?

8. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    I had an old Jensen alnico and an Rca 6v6 i put in. 12ax7 is a vintage Emerson. The Jensen breaks up nicely at 2 oclock. I like to push the tubes with a Joyo AC tone to taste or with my Dano EQ.

9. mikeyjames56

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin

I went ahead and ordered it since my tax refund came in. I figured the $22 off and free shipping was a good enough deal - I don't think I could find a used pro jr at that price ($197 shipped). I'm really excited, thanks for the info! I think I'd like a more Vox/Marshall tone, to differentiate from the SCXD I've also got. I'll be excited to try the Jazzmaster through it as well as the HSS Strat and Tele. And as I understand, monoprice's return policy is solid so if I feel the need, I'll send it back and wait for the little 5 watt.

As far as the reverb is concerned, I've got the boss fender reverb pedal that covers my reverb needs in all the drippiness I could ever want, short of a full tank so I thankfully won't be missing too much by turning that knob off!

I may have to rent out a practice space here in Austin so I can turn it up and break in the speaker a bit. It'll be nice to have a full tube amp again after so long.

LordByron likes this.

10. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I think the speaker plays a big part in the potential tone you get being an American voiced speaker or a British voiced speaker. The Seventy 80 that comes with it to me is more of a neutral toned speaker. I put an Celestion G12h30 in mine to push it further to the British side.

11. mikeyjames56

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    Neutral sounds like a good starting point. I've been playing through a Vox Pathfinder 10 with a 6.5 inch speaker for the last 6 months, I'll stay with the stock speaker for a bit with the monoprice and see how it goes. I'm not even sure there is a specific tone I'm searching for so I'll see how it is for a few months.

Also, part of me wishes I held off for another two days - there's a 15% off coupon site-wide using code WKND so if you want a good deal, on top of free shipping, now sounds like the best time to jump!

12. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2008
    Chicago
    There is 15% off with the coupon code WKND. That brings the price to $186.99.

13. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    20% off if you order today. Heckuva deal!

PunkKitty likes this.

14. mikeyjames56

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    I believe that's $20 off, rather than 20%. Still a fine deal I think!

Mine is due in Wednesday, and I have the afternoon off to play with it!

15. Michael A.

Michael A. Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jan 12, 2013
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Sorry, it is $5 off $25+, so I thought the effective discount of 20% also applied to higher dollar items, not the $20 total discount for bigger orders. Apologies for any false hopes! I was only looking at cheap items like headphones at the time and jumped the gun.

16. mikeyjames56

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    No worries on that account I think. Even at full $226 before shipping it's still a good deal.

I got mine in yesterday and made the mistake of lugging it home a mile from the bus stop (shipped to the office + no car at the moment = 32 pound amp workout) so I didn't play it all that much, but the tones I was coaxing out of it were great! I hope I get a full day off soon so I can put it through it's paces. My HSS Strat sounded wonderful. Once I get the Jazzmaster strung up I'll be trying that soon too. That <1 watt setting is great for the apartment and really cuts the volume. The reverb is not completely unusable, but I wouldn't want to use it for anything more than just a splash. The FRV-1 on my pedalboard has me covered.

I also see no reason to change the speaker or tubes at any point soon, it sounds just fine for my needs!

[​IMG]

17. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    The Monoprice looks similar to my Laney VC15 "Old English White"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. mikeyjames56

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    That VC15 (as well as the Monoprice) look much nicer to me than the way the Cubs are styled (same with the Vox AV series, not diggin' the angled top front panels). I like the white, even if it wouldn't stay too clean too long if I were using it our and about.

19. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I really like the white/brown look.

20. mikeyjames56

Dec 9, 2015
    Austin
    Bringing this up again for those that may still be on the fence. There's a $20 off $100+ coupon code (TGIF20) AND free shipping deal going on. Considering how much shipping can be for these, it's a pretty penny saved.

I finally was able to try my Jazzmaster through it. It sounds awesome clean, or through the <1 setting with the gain up. Bridge or neck pickup, it all sounds huge. I really like my HSS Strat too with the gain up. My affinity Tele sounds ballsy but not really twangin' which disappoints me a little (may have to switch those stock pickups out sometime).

[​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.