Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. chuckusa

chuckusa TDPRI Member

May 20, 2018
    California USA
    Im glad some of you guys are sharing your experiences with this amp. It sounds good.

ultra80096 likes this.

2. rfxcasey

rfxcasey TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2018
    United States
    I just received one my Monoprice 15 watt amp so I thought I'd share my experience so far but I also have a few questions. Seems like a pretty awesome, no so little, amp so far. I was expecting this thing to be much heavier. It is louder than I expected, loud enough to cause hear damage for sure when cranked in my house. I bought the new 'improved' version, though I think I like the look of the old on better. This little sucker is mean too, lots of gain and growl, I can only imaging what you can make it sound like experimenting with tubes or modding it. The reverb tank seems much better than the old plastic one but it still seems to jangle at higher volumes. I have an old teal stripe Peavey Bandit with a Scorpion speaker in it. I was thinking about putting the Scorpion and the reverb tank from the Bandit in the Monoprice amp. Big question, does anyone know if its safe to run the Monoprice amp with the reverb tank removed entirely? I've got an Alesys Quadraverb in the FX loop so technically I don't need the mechanical reverb tank anyway. I'm thinking of getting a DOD Gunslinger and a boost or overdrive pedal to go in the front along with a wah pedal. Any thoughts or experience with that? This amp has enough gain and growl to it, it might not need a distortion pedal.

3. Keefsdad

Keefsdad TDPRI Member

Jun 4, 2018
    Toronto Canada
    I had some noise issues but i cleaned out the tube sockets a couple of times and now it's working great. I was doing some work on my Strat so i just go to try it today through the amp. It sounds great, even at low volume. I can't wait to crank it up. I'm in an apartment so I have to wait. I think my Hot Rod Deluxe is going up for sale.

4. rfxcasey

rfxcasey TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2018
    United States
    Regarding the new reverb tanks still having a microphonics issue, I'm going to buy a reverb tank bag and see if that helps.

5. rfxcasey

rfxcasey TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2018
    United States
    You can also get a pair of electrical safety gloves, leather over rubber, make sure they are EH rated. You can get EH rated foot ware as well that good for up to 1000 volts to keep you from becoming a good ground. Just remember if a part of you is touching metal other than your feet, you will become the path to ground at that contact point.

6. rfxcasey

rfxcasey TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2018
    United States
    Try out a Kemper and you will become a believer.

7. rfxcasey

rfxcasey TDPRI Member

Jun 8, 2018
    United States
    What reverb tank can I replace the stock on in my version 2 with? I found some mod tanks but the impedences don't match exactly.

8. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    Not doubting you a bit, but not for $1800-$2000. Not in my ballpark, & not even slightly interested in trying. I'll take your word for it.

UnbrokenChainz, horax and Georox like this.

9. cpk313

cpk313 TDPRI Member

Apr 2, 2018
    Allentown PA
    I have a gunslinger, I think it is a great pedal, love it. I am in the process of building a bunch of VFE pedals but the gunslinger will stay, plus I got it for $28 new shipped off Reverb. That being said one of the best things I've gotten for my guitar setup is a MXR Iso-brick, went from a lot of noise, some whistling etc with pedals active to nearly silent, way quieter then a tube amp should be. I would buy one again in a heartbeat. (both)

10. horax

horax Tele-Holic

Jul 1, 2011
    colorado springs
    How does this amp compare with a vox ac15c1?

11. Achysklic

Achysklic Tele-Holic

Feb 7, 2013
    Ohio
    I’ve had both, I prefer the Monoprice the vox was way too bright.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018

12. UnbrokenChainz

UnbrokenChainz TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Same experience. Put a greenback or equivalent in the MP and you get a beautiful Vox-like chime that’s not as piercing. Even though both are EL84 powered and 15 Watts, the Vox was noticeably louder with more headroom (to my ears). Bigger cab, likely a beefier OT will contribute to that.

13. ericburnley

ericburnley TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Eureka, MO
    First post here, as this seemed to be the place i got the most info on this amp. Got my 15w in, and have played it a little so far. A bit muddy with a 335-type guitar, but still very new. I'm going to resist the urge to upgrade anything until the 70/80 is broken in. Might swap out some tubes i have lying around, but that's about it for now. 4 kids can make it difficult to find time to break a new speaker in.
    Coming from a Peavey Classic 50 2x12, this will be quite a bit lighter to cart around, which i'm looking forward to. So thanks for all the detailed info, this was an awesome deal on a solid tube amp that won't break my back!

I will mention to the guys talking about the Caline Orange Burst, i dig that pedal & recommend it for neutral, more modern gain tones (esp for the price). And if you're looking at the Mad Professor Sweet Honey, check out Joyo's Sweet Baby - it's similar in price to the Caline, and has become one of my go-to overdrives, even with an original Nobels ODR-1, an old Analogman TS9 Brown, and a Fulldrive2.

UnbrokenChainz and horax like this.

14. ericburnley

ericburnley TDPRI Member

Jun 15, 2018
    Eureka, MO
    V1 tube was cracked when I pulled it out - I don't think I cracked it, as I read others had damaged them upon pulling them out & was extra gentle, so it may have been already cracked and causing issues. Tried several tubes i had lying around (12AX7s and 12AU7s) and landed on an old GE 12AX7. Sounds way better already. Will still let the speaker break in before doing anything else.

15. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe TDPRI Member

Nov 27, 2017
    USA
    Definitely worth that $129.99, open box price. These amps are not great but at that price it's crazy not to check out as a spare; to keep in another room, rehearsal spot, loaner...whatever.

I got mine on a couple stacked discounts a few months ago, $123 total and (I think) about $146 shipped.

Pre-amp tube swaps make a huge difference.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.