Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I just got my amp today. Wow, I am impressed. It sounds very close to the Laney VC15 I stupidly sold. I will say the reverb is not bad, I will end up getting a better tank, but the stock metal tank is usable. I love the overdrive on this amp. I *gasp* may actually part with my AC15! Will do more comparisons and testing tomorrow.

ultra80096 likes this.

2. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Thats too bad, looks like you got more then you paid for ;) ;)

ultra80096 likes this.

3. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    Sounds possible it could be a flakey tube. Do you have any EL84's or 12ax7 tubes you could substitute for diagnosis? I would try this before sending back.

mojah63 likes this.

4. dankster

dankster TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    NY
    I've got nothing. The return and exchange will be free so I'll just do it.

5. mojah63

mojah63 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Massachusetts
    Yeah my 2nd amps V1 flaked out on me. I just replaced it myself. Same symptoms..

ultra80096 likes this.

6. dankster

dankster TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    NY
    thanks for the tips. i already sent it back. i'll report on the replacement when it arrives!

ultra80096 likes this.

7. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I think this amp is the steal of the year. Sounds so good!

ultra80096 likes this.

8. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    Haha, yah I feel the same way. Everytime I read a thread of someone asking advice for a 15-20 watt amp, I so want to tell them to try this amp out, but most are limiting themselves to a few choices of the name brand variety & willing to spend more $, thinking they are built better. I've seen responses to those, mentioning this amp, but they go mostly ignored. Oh well, to each his own.

9. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Just put a 5751 in V1. Get a bit more headroom and still had enough gain on tap for me

10. Silverface

Silverface Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Mar 2, 2003
    Lawndale CA
    If you are going to own a tube amp it's a very good idea to have at least one spare of each tube and a spare set of matched power tubes (if it uses 2 or 4 power tubes).if it has one. New tube amp owners are among the most likely to end up with tube failures due to vibration/handling of the amp and breakage from tubes being hit.

But tubes can fail, and in those amps they are not very well ventilated - plus the stock tubes are not exactly high-end.

mojah63 and ultra80096 like this.

11. dankster

dankster TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    NY
    Is there a recommended set and a source to buy them? I'm a toob noob.

12. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    When I first bought my tube amp(s), I purchased a set from tubedepot. For these amps, a matched pair of EL84's, & maybe a couple 3 12AX7 pre amp tubes. It seems kind of daunting at first, preamp tubes rarely wear out, but sometimes there's a bad one in the bunch when the amp arrives, I've experienced it. I've gone with current production JJ brand tubes, & have been happy. Coincidentally I'm still on the stock tubes that came in both of the amps I've bought. The first amp I received, the bias on the output tubes was set very cold, & the amp didn't sound very good. That's the other issue, If you could find a tech to set the bias, or learn to do it yourself, it would benefit you. With tube amps, they are not necessarily maintenance free initially, but the sound is like non other in my experience.

dswo likes this.

13. Ex-riverman

Ex-riverman Tele-Meister

Jun 17, 2016
    Tulsa, OK
    I bought a kit for my Vox ac15 from these guys. I'm very happy. My first tube replacement. My top boost channel went out and the full replacement brought a lot of life out of my amp.
    https://www.tubeboutique.com/

14. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada

15. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    I recommend a 5751 for V1

16. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    There's a used M15 on guitar center used....for $249.

Ha.

17. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Such a deal!

I got ripped at $180

Geo and ultra80096 like this.

18. Geo

Geo Friend of Leo's

Mar 17, 2003
    Hendersonville, TN
    M15 on ebay for $219 - $290 and in between. :rolleyes:

19. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

Some noodling

ultra80096 likes this.

20. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.