Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. FrontPU

FrontPU Tele-Meister

Jul 6, 2008
    nyc
    I bought it at the end of April (new one, paid $200 or so shipped) and am still very happy with it. It's so versatile and the tone quality is comparable (or even better to my ears), clean or dirty, to my other tube amps in the $1000 & $2000 range.

I had to write in the comment section of a YouTube page like blow:

The other day I ordered my MP 15W (a rebadged Laney CUB12R) right after saw this video. I came here accidentally after watching those popular videos of some topnotch vintage and high end boutique guitar amps including the Fender Bassman 1959 and the Pure Tone Amps (played and navigated by Johan Segeborn). Your videos including this were very honest and reliable, I've been very happy enjoying the tone and nice user friendliness. The price was incredible, even less than a set of strat pickups. I really thank you, thank you very much!

My only complaint is its 1W channel is not that modest but even as loud as 3-5W, but the tone quality is very good.

ultra80096 and mojah63 like this.

2. Mike_LA

Mike_LA Tele-Afflicted

Yah, nice amp.
    Remember though, the person who made it was Paid at the at the same minimal rate that you saved when you bought it.
    Think Globally
    Act Locally

3. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Good point. No more shopping at Walmart, Target, Ross, or Marshalls or wearing any clothes not made in the USA or Europe. Oh, and shoes, cell phones, computers and light bulbs too. Only USA-made light bulbs! :D

ultra80096 likes this.

4. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Thinking about one of these....I already have a VOX AC15, thinking this could be used in an A-B-Y setup with the monoprice as overdriven tones and AC as clean

5. mrzippy

mrzippy TDPRI Member

Sep 7, 2010
    tucson az
    Today 179.00 with free us shipping. Cant get any better than that!!

mojah63 likes this.

6. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

That is good. Got mine for $199 last fall with $30 off on top that. Had to pay $8.99 shipping and $14 tax though....

7. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Tempting! Tempting!

8. mojah63

mojah63 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I know but I already have two....

wblynch likes this.

9. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Gonna order one

Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    rich815 likes this.

10. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

11. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Ordered one. I'd rather have tube distortion over pedals, so this will be set up for overdrive and my AC15 for clean. I have an ABY switch to use as well

MadJack, mojah63 and rich815 like this.

12. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Well actually.....I picked up a "refurbished" one a couple months back for $124 shipped. Those sold out in hours, and who knows if/when that will happen again!
    I too bought mine because of the same guys video posted on top, except the "epiphone dot" video.

13. jgpdx

jgpdx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    FWIW the reverb tank in the new one is a rattling POS too.

14. Ira7

Ira7 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 8, 2008
    Coral Springs, FL
    You always get what you pay for.

Always.

15. bluescube

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    Mine arrives today. If the tank sucks, I'll get a MOD replacement

16. jgpdx

jgpdx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    I think your ABY idea is a good one. My tank rattles like crazy at certain frequencies...be curious if yours does too. I think I'll just disable or remove this tank since I have a good r pedal.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2017

17. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    My first one has the blue plastic tank. I have a replacement tank on hand but haven't changed it out yet, but behaves up to about 1/2. My second amp has the steel tank. I have no problems with that one. Yes, could be a little better sounding reverb.

Otherwise, straight into the input from guitar, I'm loving the sounds I get out of these, at home, at jams & small gigs. I did rebias output tubes,but trouble free so far & I get compliments on the sound, even from other players.

Yes, you do get what you pay for, sometimes more for less $, & sometimes less for more $, sometimes equal quality = equal $$. I've done some well known mods to some of the higher $ name brand amps in the same caliber. I'll put put the build & unmodded sound quality of these right along with the others I've worked on, & I'm very happy with the $$ I spent for what I received. Just my experience, others may vary.

MadJack likes this.

18. dankster

dankster TDPRI Member

Aug 25, 2017
    NY
    Hi everyone! i'm new here but have read just about every post on this thread as i'm a new Monoprice 15w Amp owner trying to learn as much as i can. I play a 1998 MIM Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster and i came here to ask a question about the amp. I have no owned an amp in a long while (finally moved to a house) and i'm not sure whats normal but when i turn on the amp and after its warmed up (30-60 seconds) i get a pretty loud audible crackle and rustling sound coming from the amp even before i plug anything in. I've taken a video of the sound here (you may need to turn up your sound)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/skpl2ujxe7cnstr/File Aug 21, 8 04 04 PM.mov?dl=0

Is this normal? I've talked to tech support at Monoprice and they offered me an RMA but i wanted to post here to see if anyone has heard of this or if i'm just too sensitive and its normal before i send it back. Others have suggested it may be my outlet and others have suggested turning off the lights (which i dont think helped). Anyone have any other ideas before i swap this one out?

Edit: fixed link

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017

19. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    I havent experienced that issue.
    That link asks me to login..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.