Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. rich815

rich815 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Me too.

2. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

Nov 28, 2006
    USA
    The redesign makes it look more bargain basement. The new 'name' doesn't help.

mojah63 likes this.

3. spkguitar

spkguitar NEW MEMBER!

Jul 27, 2017
    McDonald, PA (Pittsburgh)
    I just got mine. I hate the new name. "Stage Right" sounds like "First Act". I'm also not really keen on the way the reverb is connected; RCA cables connected to the PCB internally without a rubber grommet for the cord through the chassis? That seems short sighted to me.

I took it out of the chassis first thing to get some pix of the inside:

You can see the internal reverb connection here, and the hole that the cable passes through the chassis:

and here's the model number on the reverb tank (which I don't like the sound of at all)

4. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

Jun 7, 2016
    Smyrna georgia
    Appears they switched over to the Laney Tony Iommi model

5. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I like the front controls as well... and if they want to screen a small 'Stage Right' logo on the panel, more power to 'em. All I care is if it still sounds the same, which was pretty damned good, IMHO.

SteveNashville likes this.

6. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC
    MOD tank time?

7. SlaveUnit

SlaveUnit NEW MEMBER!

Feb 12, 2013
    San Diego
    Do you say this because of the gut shots? Nothing really matches the Iommi in any way. It would be great it t was a copy of it though. $600 amp for $200 would be fun.

8. spkguitar

spkguitar NEW MEMBER!

Jul 27, 2017
    McDonald, PA (Pittsburgh)
    The main board looks almost identical to the pics of the Laney Cub that I've seen.

I'm going to reserve judgement on the sound until I've broken it in, but I will definitely be swapping that reverb tank out.

However, for $200 shipped, how can I really complain?? For the money, this thing is pretty OK.

9. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    Thanks for the pics

10. Guitars R Me

Guitars R Me TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Third planet from the Sun
    That amp, and apparently everything else at Monoprice, is 15 percent off today (July 30) with the code RELAX. So that brings it down to about $170 before shipping charges.

mojah63 likes this.

11. srvy

srvy NEW MEMBER!

Aug 2, 2017
    KCMO
    Hi all I just joined and this is my first post. I have the MP 15 for over a year just cruising along enjoying this wonderful bargain until last night. I was just noodling around last night practicing got up to take a leak and noticed when I got back the power light was gone. I knew I had power because the power conditioner light was on but no amplification to guitar. I rebooted power tried the one watt and 15 watt port nothing no glowing tubes or burnt smell. I figured a blown fuse but looked and find no fuse cap or inline fuse. I know it surly has one but dont know where anyone think this could be the problem and know how to access this fuse. I just play not really to schooled in electronics. A search brought me here as the place to learn the ins and outs this amp any help will be much appreciated Thanks.

12. Guitars R Me

Jul 21, 2017
    Sorry to hear that. One thing I'd do is go over to the Laney amp site and see if there is a forum there. My understanding is that the older version of the 15-watter is a rebranded Laney Cub 12R. I don't know what this new version of the amp, as well as the companion 5-watt amp, is a rebrand because I can't find anything like it now on the Laney site.

Anyway maybe somebody over there can help you out. Or just Google "Laney 12R fuse" or something like that.

Could it also be one of your power tubes has gone bad? Do you still have the stock tubes in it? I think they were Ruby or something like that.

13. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    On the Laney models, there is a glass fuse near the power transformer. You have to remove the chassis to get at it. Looking at the gut shots above, it's still fitted.
    It's a slo-blo T500 on the 115V Laney model.

14. Guitars R Me

Jul 21, 2017
    Btw, looking at the pics of the reverb tank, that Accutronics model sells for about $20 at eBay and AliExpress. I can't find the little plastic tank used in the earlier model Monoprice but it's listed at a "blue reverb" at the Accutronics. I remember seeing them on sale earlier this year for very low, maybe $10 or so?

15. SteveNashville

SteveNashville TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Nashville
    There is indeed a slow blow glass fuse on the upper rhs (looking inside from the back) ... I tried replacing mine several times but it blew straight away ... contact monoprice as they offered me a refund or replacement.

16. SteveNashville

SteveNashville TDPRI Member

Mar 28, 2017
    Nashville
    I just received my 'newer' version .. I still have the older one which I'm about to ship back to be replaced (slow blow fuse issues). Here they are side by side .. as you can see the newer version is a little larger and as already noted the controls are now on the front and it has the 'stage right' logo. The newer one has the 'updated' reverb unit and the controls re-arranged. Instead of two separate inputs it now has a single one and a 1W/15W button. Same Seventy 80 Celestion speaker as before. I haven't really had time to give it a thorough workout yet, but out of the box it sounds sweet as ever. I believe with the code its down to less than $180! amps.png

17. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    The new one is probably better but I like the look of the older TV front

18. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Ok I finally got around to doing this fix. I couldnt notice any loose fitment of the wires on this plug, but i snipped and soldered anyway. It was a bit of work to get just enough slack to strip and solder the wires on. I soldered to the board rather then the pins.
    Works like a champ now, even when I wiggle the patch cord its good. Thanks for the tip kubton.

Pic of the said little circuit board and connector. Job took me 15 minutes, pulled speaker wires but left reverb wires on.

[​IMG]

mojah63 likes this.

19. papaschtroumpf

papaschtroumpf Tele-Meister

Nov 24, 2015
    Colorado
    The red light that shows the thing is turned on doesn't always work on mine. I thought I had seen it reported and a fix here but I couldn't find that post.
    Still happy with it otherwise, and mine is the original but had a better reverb tank (metal, not blue plastic)

20. mojah63

mojah63 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Massachusetts
    After UNPlugging mine, I took the bulb out and cleaned the socket and bulb base with some scotch bright and contact cleaner. I cut a bit of the pad and wrapped around a tiny screwdriver. A small dowel ect.. would work too.. Works fine now.

xafinity likes this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.