Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. jgpdx

jgpdx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    You can switch it on the fly. Here is the manual:

Attached Files:

rayjoyce7 likes this.

2. jgpdx

jgpdx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    As far as the early breakup goes, it doesn't sound a whole lot different than the YouTube vids of the old one at similar gain/volume. I suspect the switch is an attenuated circuit, which may be what the old input one was. The reverb sounds ok, about what you would expect considering the size of the tank. For $160 the amp is great for a practice amp which is what I bought it for. Whether or not it is better than the old one I suspect you guys will figure out soon enough once someone takes one apart. As far as the looks go, whatever. What I do know is that you can take the dumb Celestion badge off now without leaving holes in the tolex.

gobi_grey likes this.

3. jimbo735

jimbo735 Tele-Holic

Sep 19, 2011
    michigan
    I don't know about the amp but the canon inkjet ink kicks booty.
    I got some just two weeks ago I spent about 12 bucks for 8 cartridges.
    Works great that stuff at the stores is 12 to 15 bucks for one color.
    Im kinda leaning to get the amp too.

4. rayjoyce7

rayjoyce7 TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Centreville, VA
    Thanks for the input! The manual was not very useful... :(

5. rayjoyce7

rayjoyce7 TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Centreville, VA
    Thanks for the digital copy of the manual. :)

6. BartS

BartS Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2013
    St. louis MO
    I see a lot of posts about these got me interested. Not in buying one but for the people that do. I looked at pictures of the insides the new one and the old ones will be similar even if they sound a little different.

Replace the big capacitors on the pcb with Panasonic fm capacitors or something similar. Same value or a little bigger if it fits on the pcb. Sometimes you can't get the exact value. It will make a major improvement. You will be able to hear no matter how bad your ears are. If you have the 5 watt monoprice you should be able to do the same thing.

If you like that move on to the smaller electrolytic same deal Panasonic fm. The non electrolytic will be bipolar. Orange drops if they fit if not something like a good wima series.

Do just the big ones first listen to it. Then do the rest of the small electrolytic. Then the bipolar stuff. That way if something goes wrong you know where you messed up and it's a lesson on how good electronics can change the sound of an amp. I have spent like a hundreds of hours soldering pcbs doing this stuff. I had to when I built my studio.

When it's all said and done you will have a cool little amp that sounds different than the stuff everyone else has.

UnbrokenChainz likes this.

7. brbadg

brbadg Tele-Holic

Mar 11, 2008
    Timonium,Maryland

I've been gigging with mine.Hardly a practice amp!

mojah63 likes this.

8. Guitars R Me

Guitars R Me TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Third planet from the Sun
    I called and a spoke to a Monoprice tech guy. He said he didn't know when the website would be updated but people have been calling/emailing asking for an update. He also volunteered that the 5-watt amp has also been changed but he didn't have any pictures or any other info about it.

I asked him if he knew which company made these amps and if they being made by the same manufacturer. He didn't know.

I didn't know the 5-watter had also been redesigned but I'm guessing so. I'm guessing both tube amps are from the same manufacturer, whoever that may be.

9. UnbrokenChainz

UnbrokenChainz TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    San Diego
    Photo "borrowed" from a FB group:

IMG_1380.JPG

10. Guitars R Me

Jul 21, 2017

Thanks. As expected it has the same front-control section like the 15-watt amp. One difference also I see is that the new amp seems to have a 5 watt/1 watt switch and only one input jack. The old design didn't have that function but had a "low" input and a "high" input.

I am assuming it has a speaker out as in the old model.

11. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Jan 17, 2010
    Decatur, GA
    I put a 5751 in mine too, to buy a little more headroom. So far, so good, though I think I'll be playing around with other tubes just for experimentation's sake.

I gigged it last weekend and was pretty happy with the sound of it.

12. gobi_grey

gobi_grey Tele-Meister

Jun 7, 2011
    clinton, ia
    I like the look of the new 5 watt. For some reason the 15 just looks better as a tv front. I think it's the chrome. Higher chrome ratio on the smaller one and less knobs helps it look more classy. Doesn't really work with the bigger 15 watt.

ultra80096 likes this.

13. Guitars R Me

Jul 21, 2017
    I agree that the design doesn't work as well on the 15. However I still think the 5 watter looks better with the old design. And I really don't like that cheesy "Stage Right" inscription but I know Monoprice has been putting that branding on a lot of its products so I understand the marketing allure.

14. VintageSG

VintageSG Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 31, 2016
    Huddersfield, UK
    Re: The redesign. In short, do not like.
    The 5 just about gets away with it, the 15 looks gash. The 'Stage Right' imprint needs to be retired. The stylised valve imprint needs to go too.
    I wonder why they've moved the volume on the 5 and the gain etc so far away from the input jack on the 15.
    I'm also wondering if they've altered the circuit on the 5. The original wasn't a 1W/5W but lo/hi inputs.
    It'll be interesting to see inside and contrast/compare.
    All academic though. We have the Laney originals on the UK market, so I doubt the clones will come. If I wanted the 5 ( which I sort of do, the Cub sounds wonderful ), I'd have to go to Thomann and buy the Cub 8.

15. dswo

dswo Tele-Meister

May 1, 2016
    East Carolina

16. jgpdx

jgpdx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    No way this amp hangs with any drummers I know.

17. mojah63

mojah63 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Massachusetts
    I don't have a problem with my drummer....

18. mejmo

mejmo TDPRI Member

Mar 1, 2017
    Southwest Oklahoma
    Hey, that's my amp! lol, I wasn't expecting to see my kitchen while going through the hivemind updates.

I love my 1st edition MP15 and I just got the new 5 watter a week ago. Gave it a good break in the past few days with the help of a loop pedal. I must say, I'm impressed with the tonal response I can get from it. I don't have a 1st edition MP5 to compare it too, but it does sound pretty sweet. Really good touch dynamics and top end chime...shall I add more adjectives? :D

UnbrokenChainz likes this.

19. Guitars R Me

Jul 21, 2017
    Does it have an external speaker input? Does the power cord "break away" or is one end of molded into the cab? The older dab had that which I thought was good because you won't lose it but bad if it shorts out or your dog or cat or jealous friend bites into it.

Does it have the same tube arrangement, that is one AX7 and one 6V6GT, if you can tell readily?

I still don't understand why Monoprice has failed to update its web pages for these two amps, especially after my chat with a tech rep who said people have been calling him about the outdated entries.

I am sorry for these questions but it's apparent the amps being sold are not the same as those shown on the Monoprice pages and some of the specs have changed, such as the larger steel reverb tank on the 15-watt model and the substitution of the 1 watt/5 watt switch for the second input on the 5-watt model.

20. bluescube

bluescube Friend of Leo's

Mar 9, 2004
    Greensboro NC

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.