Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. wordfan

wordfan Tele-Meister

Jan 21, 2006
    Durham NC
    Back in stock.

wblynch likes this.

2. jgpdx

jgpdx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Looks like they did a redesign on these. It looks like they used a different (metal) reverb tank, killed the dual 1W/15W input jacks, which is now just one switched input jack, and moved the controls to the front:

2017-07-19 14.01.18.jpg
    2017-07-19 14.02.01.jpg
    2017-07-19 14.02.27.jpg
    2017-07-19 14.09.37.jpg
    2017-07-19 14.17.16.jpg
    2017-07-19 14.15.05.jpg

Last edited: Jul 19, 2017
    ultra80096 likes this.

3. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    Wow, how do you like it? Would be curious to see the circuit board & layout with the front controls. Hope everything is good, though I'm very happy with the two I've got.

4. jgpdx

jgpdx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    Pretty happy with it. My biggest gripe is it breaks up pretty quickly tho even with low gain. Need to play with it a while.

5. UnbrokenChainz

UnbrokenChainz TDPRI Member

Jan 25, 2017
    San Diego
    My old model already had this "feature": plugged into the <1w I could switch to the 15w by just jostling the cable...

6. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Wow did they ever change them up!

7. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2009
    Hills of Arkansas
    Was going to order one when next discount was offered by not going to be interested if it breaks up at low volume. Please keep us updated. I do like controls on front.

8. walleyeman

walleyeman Tele-Holic

Jan 2, 2009
    Hills of Arkansas
    and wouldn't you know MONOPRICE 20% off $200 order. So amp and something for a couple dollars and you get 20% off. How much break up and how quickly are we talking? Would different tubes make a difference?

9. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    where to find discount promo code?

10. ultra80096

ultra80096 TDPRI Member

May 15, 2015
    IA
    Used Promo code "3BASE".

My two amps purchased previously play really nice with single coil guitars, as far as breakup is concerned. The first amp broke up really early, but after biasing the output tubes, it straightened right out & I can get plenty of clean.

I really recommend checking the bias or have someone check it for you.

If someone opens up the amp on these new ones, please post some pics of the circuit board. Wonder if these are still Laney based.

wblynch likes this.

11. mojah63

mojah63 TDPRI Member

Feb 18, 2012
    Massachusetts
    A lower gain tube in v1 like a 12ay7 helps a lot. Or keep the gain lower than 3 and crank r he master. It's only a 12 watt amp. For me it hangs with a band barely. Another thing I noticed when changing power tubes is the amp Cannot be biased near 70% dissipation. More like 55 to 60%. If you try and put more current through, the b+ drops a lot and the amp sounds like ass. But even with it's limitations it has been working out great for me.

12. archetype

archetype More tone than talent Ad Free + Supporter

Jun 4, 2005
    Williamsville NY
    gobi_grey, mojah63 and ultra80096 like this.

13. Dobronaut

Dobronaut TDPRI Member

Dec 11, 2016
    Leicestershire UK
    I've got the laney cub version. I didn't really bond with it until I put a 5751 in V1. Now I get a much smoother clean sound, with later breakup. It also helps if you roll off about a third off the guitar volume knob. It's now my favourite amp, and I'm getting the best Lap Steel sound I've ever had.

I too don't like the looks of the new monoprice version much. It looks like a Laney LC15. Still, it's cured my GAS!

14. wblynch

wblynch Tele-Meister

Apr 24, 2017
    California USA
    Thanks!!

15. Guitars R Me

Guitars R Me TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Third planet from the Sun
    I don't know what this new amp is patterned after. The Monoprice web site still shows the "old" design. The site also says, however, the speaker is the Celestion Red Truvox but most reviews I've read said the speaker is the Celestion 70/80, the same I guess as the one shown by Jcpdx.

It looks like the new model has a full-size (?) metal reverb tank. The old one had the small, plastic bodied Accutronics reverb. Again from the many reviews I've read this reverb tank seemed to be the target of most complaints and quite a few people just replaced the tank.

Does anybody know how this new reverb sounds or the model number?

The pictures don't show it but there should be an extension speaker out. Anybody know about this?

I've also noticed Monoprice is using the term "Stage Right", which is a model listing for a lot of different products, including stage lights. It's funny but this amp is listed as a Stage Right while its smaller brother (or sister) the 5-watt tube amp is not. So I am guessing the 5-watter is a continuation of the old design.

Still for under $200 (before any sales or promotions) and with shipping it still seems a good deal, especially now with what I can only assumed is an upgraded reverb.

16. rayjoyce7

rayjoyce7 TDPRI Member

Jul 21, 2017
    Centreville, VA
    I just bought one and noted how it has a new look, but I was not able to test it out. It came busted up, so I have to send it back and Monoprice will send me another one. Customer support is good there. I do have a question since I can't test it out right now... is it possible to switch between 1W and 15W without having to turn the amp off? Would it "pop" if I just pressed the button to switch between 1W and 15W while the amp is on?

17. notme

notme TDPRI Member

Aug 27, 2014
    Kamloops BC Canada
    Hmm I didnt notice that switch, is it the gray thing beside the output jack?
    I have the older one and its 2 separate jacks.

18. Guitars R Me

Jul 21, 2017

I didn't look closely enough. It's there and is for 8-16 ohms.

19. Guitars R Me

Jul 21, 2017

Just a pure guess but I think you may have to turn the amp on and off again. My tube amp allows me to switch between pentode (full power) and trimode (about 60 percent) but I have to turn it off, make the change, and then turn it back on ... or I am supposed to.

Is there a manual. If so, what does it say?

20. jgpdx

jgpdx TDPRI Member

Jul 19, 2017
    Portland, OR
    deleted

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.