Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Dec 29, 2012
    United States

2. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2008
    Chicago
    Has anyone replaced the speaker with a low watt alnico speaker? I have a pair of 40 year old 12" 8 ohm CTS alnicos from an old organ. I dropped one off to get reconed as a guitar speaker this morning. According to the guy that owns the speaker shop, the speaker should handle 25-30 watts when he's done with it. I'll find out more next week. I'm looking forward to it.

3. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    I'd think a low watt alnico should be great if you want speaker breakup, not so good if you want the max clean headroom.
    At any rate let us know how it sounds when you get it in the amp.

4. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004
    Just got an email- $93 shipped today.

5. Macatowa

Macatowa TDPRI Member

Jan 6, 2013
    Holland, MI
    i've been playing mine through my Supertramp XD speaker that has a 10" Jensen C10R (Princeton speaker) along with My Zoom Pedal and it sounds really really good! The Celestian that is in there is good and works for quieter practice sessions. But that Jensen can get loud and do whatever tone you want.

6. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2008
    Chicago
    I got the old CTS back from the repair shop and installed it. The tone is great. The guy at the shop said it should easily handle 25-30 watts. The speaker isn't as loud as the ceramic or neo speakers. But it sounds great clean or dirty at low or high volumes. I'm really happy with the results.

7. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    I broke weak! With the $20 discount, I just had to give it a try!

With discount and shipping it came to $244 to Florida.

I've got plenty of speakers and cabs to try with it too.

8. Informal

Informal Tele-Holic

Jan 16, 2013
    SoCal
    Didn't see this thread until I posted in the 5w MP amp thread....

I'll post it here FWIW

I just got my 15W Monoprice amp this morning.... Been playing it all day!!
    The 1w input attenuates it nicely... I'm playing in between posting this while my in-laws are asleep in the room next to my music room.
    What a great amp!

I've had 3-4 Blues JR's (modded 2 of them heavily) and none has made me as happy as this right out of the box.
    Can't wait till the speaker settles a bit.

The reverb is garbage (every reviewer on MP will let you know that) but I don't use reverb much, so no problem, that won't keep me from trying to mod a new tank to it lol.

Get one while they're cheap...(mine was $216 delivered with a discount code) They're out of stock so often, I can't imagine they won't jack up the price at some point.

9. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    Mine's due in any moment. (Anxiously waiting! o_O) Hopefully it comes before I have to go work a youth conference this evening at church.

The last thing I read on fixing the amp is to put rubber o-rings/grommets between the tank and the cab an between the screws and the tank, isolating it from the cabinet vibrations. I've also seen putting a tank cover over the tank and even relocating the tank has helped.

10. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I think you'd be better off just upgrading the reverb tank all together. Even then it "might" not be all that great because I believe the reverb is not supported by any preamp tube but I'm no amp builder.

I'm still loving mine. I settled on a Celestion g12h30, new Svetlana 12ax7s and JJ el84's. I run it clean (gain dial halfway on 2) and use pedals or one of my multi fx.
    I'll do a video with this setup soon.

11. Count

Count Friend of Leo's

Just wondering if those amps are marketed under a different brand name in other parts of the world.

12. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    From what I understand and from what I hear these are the same as the Laney Cub 12r with a different cabinet and a spring reverb .

13. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

Jun 22, 2010
    Osaka, Japan
    Am I the only person who is really put off by the brand name?

14. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    No they are not Laney. That is just another internet rumor that keeps getting repeated as fact. Yes I know the circuit board is green in both amps that does not make them the same.

15. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    From gut shots of the Laney I've seen on the internet it sure looks the same as mine and when I plugged into my Monoprice 15 watter it sure reminded me of the Cub12r I played a couple months ago.
    To me, it doesn't matter either way in the end I bought the Monoprice just to check it out and I'm glad I did.
    Companies rebrand overseas products all the time. If your interested check out Mighty Sound tube overdrive,distortion,dela,fuzz on ebay and look at the layout. Tell me those don't look like the Monoprice mini pedals with a different paint job.

16. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    Haha at least on this amp it's barely noticeable. What I can't stand is that silly Celestion plate on the front :p

17. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    MonoPrice's marketing strategy is to relabel and market products, to cut out the middle man. They bought the intellectual rights to the Laney CUB 8 and 12R amps, repackage and relabel them and sell them as their own brand. This saves them the R&D of creating new products. All their products are marketed that way. While none of their products are top of the line, boutique type of products, they have done a good job of relabeling decent quality merchandise. I think their name isn't the greatest, but the amp has no big logo advertising the brand.

asnarski likes this.

18. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    This is small but one thing I like about the Monoprice 15 compared to the Cub 12r is where MP put the exterenal speaker jack. I didn't like it underneath the chassis on the Cub 12r, MP fixed that placing it right on the back of the chassis.
    Funny , even that jack with the plastic nut is the same as the one on the Cub 12r.

19. xafinity

xafinity Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Dec 24, 2015
    west of I-10
    You are welcome to whatever opinions you may have.
    I dont care either way my 5w is a heck of a lot of fun.

What we can agree on is that silly Celestion badge. Its as if they hoped that would lend some credibility.. Perhaps they are getting cheaper bulk speaker prices in exchange for celestion getting advertising. Monoprice is certainly getting the better end of that deal by having a world known brand name on the front of their unknown generic type product.

Here is a great idea for a brand name for Monoprice's amps, guitars etc
    MONOTONE :( well maybe not....

Last edited: Mar 12, 2016
    grolan1 likes this.

20. Agree name is not something I really like but the 5 watt I have I really like! What's in a name anyway?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.