Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Monoprice 15 watt tube amp

Discussion in 'Glowing Bottle Tube Amp Forum' started by here4thefall, Jan 25, 2016.

1. here4thefall

here4thefall Tele-Meister

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    Hey guy's I picked up one of these amps and it sounds great kinda of a kameleon as it can sound kinda Fender,Vox or Marshall and only 25 lbs ! I've never bonded with the Celestion seventy 80 speaker in any of my amps so ended up putting an Eminence V128 and while I was at it put some JJ el84s and a Tung Sol 12ax7 in V1.

Anyone else grab one of these ? What do ya think ?

Attached Files:

Marcelo R likes this.

2. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    The word on the street is this is a Laney cub 12r in a different cab and with a spring reverb instead of digital like the Laney. I've seen gut shot pics of the Laney and it sure looks the same as the inside of my 15 watter.

3. Tazz3

Tazz3 Friend of Leo's

Aug 19, 2013
    East islip ny
    Yes its laney how much ??

Jerry P'bury likes this.

4. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN

5. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I paid $227 for mine but I think there was a 15% off a couple days ago just before they ran out.
    I think they expected more on 2/4/2016.
    It's a fun little amp I can't get over how light it is to boot !

6. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I'll post a video of sound soon as I can but from the videos I've seen of the cub 12r with 70/80 speaker,they sound the same. I'm getting good small gig clean headroom but I haven't gigged with it.
    Another thing being a cheap "in cost" tube amp,is that it doesn't get to hot.
    I've let it run for a little over 2 hours and she held up with no lose of volume nothing burning just the smell of hot glass and electricity:lol:

tacomamc likes this.

7. PunkKitty

PunkKitty Tele-Meister

Jun 24, 2008
    Chicago
    I got mine last week and left it stock. I'll probably swap the speaker with a Kustom/Eminence KEI Turbo 12. Maybe I'll replace the power tubes. But they are Rubys. So they aren't bad. This is a really versatile amp. The reverb even sounds decent. I love this thing.

8. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    I found one review:

9. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    I have one on order.

Has anyone given one a good work over? Any idea regarding B+? At 15 watts, it should not be pushing the power tubes too hard.

Any suggestions on tube tweaks or speaker changes? I've got an Eminence Legend 122 alnico that I'll probably be sticking in it. Curious to see what experiences others have had.

10. harold h

harold h Tele-Afflicted

Feb 15, 2004

Is that Tom Green on the right?:D

[​IMG]

11. Ringo

Ringo Poster Extraordinaire

Mar 16, 2003
    Memphis TN
    That demo didn't sound too good to me, especially the reverb! I hope those amps sound better in person than that!

Tonetele likes this.

12. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    It's been crazy at my house but soon as I can I will try to make a video.

The reverb tank is a $8 dollar plastic accutroincs tank with no preamp tube to itself.
    It's not the best but if you like just a little reverb to surround the notes it's will work.

Part of the sound you hear is that Celestion seventy 80 speaker.Imo it's a flat response speaker that is a little raspy, they sound pretty good for modeling amps but I don't like them in tube amps. Roll the treble down and raise the tone control and its not to bad though.

For $227 it's actually a really good tube amp and I'm sure there are some lemons but Monoprices return policy is great.

If you are looking for Blues Jr with a British voice, well that's what I'd call this amp.

13. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    Mine came in two days ago. The Ruby EL84 power tubes were dead on arrival. Fortunately, the Ruby tubes give you their plate current and transconductance values. I had several sets of Ei EL84s that were of similar values, so I dropped them in. Problem solved.

The stock Shuguang 12AX7A pre-amp tubes are surprisingly good: no hiss, no white noise, no buzzing or humming. I found that sticking a GE5751 in the V3 phase inverter helped add presence and detail. I am pretty happy with the tones I am getting. With this tube array.

The Celestion 70/80 sounds pretty good in there. I also tried an Eminence Legend 122 alnico, an Avatar SA40 alnico, a Celestion G12M-25 Greenback and a few others. I also used it as a head and ran it off an open back Avatar G212 cab loaded with an Eminence Red Fang and a Jensen C12N and pine TRM cabs 2 X 12 that is loaded with a Celestion G12 blue alnico and a G12M-25 Greenback. After lots of experimenting, I stuck with the Greenback. All speakers/cabs were 8 ohms.

This little thing sounds pretty good. The D.O.A. power tubes are disappointing, but decent tubes and a good speaker turn this low budget amp into a very respectable tone monster.

Maciron and ZackyDog like this.

14. dqami

dqami Tele-Holic

Feb 11, 2004
    Call them and tell them to send a new set. Their CS is good. I bought the 5 watt and a few days later they offered $20 off any item over $100, i called and asked for the discount and they gave it to me.

15. LordByron

LordByron Tele-Meister

Feb 3, 2016
    Atlanta, GA
    I've had mine for about a week. It's not a half bad sounding little amp, particularly since I got mine for a bit under $200. It actually sounds great running in tandem with my AC15. They compliment eachother nicely. :)

16. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    Finally got around to making a video hope it helps.

Urshurak776, studio1087 and Scrapperz like this.

17. MadJack

MadJack Friend of Leo's

Feb 18, 2012
    Candler, FL
    Check your privacy settings, it's coming up with "This Video Is Private."

18. here4thefall

Mar 19, 2011
    Northern California
    I don't know why it's showing 2 of the same video, I can't get rid of it.

19. TNO

TNO Friend of Leo's

Apr 25, 2003
    NC-USA
    Nice-sounding amp.

20. Rick330man

Rick330man Tele-Meister

Jan 9, 2011
    Florida Keys
    No Customer Service

I sent them an e-mail asking for just that. They never responded, so I am a little disappointed with the poor customer service.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.