Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Modtone/Belcat pedals...any opinions?

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by schenkadere, Aug 30, 2010.

1. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    Curious if there are any satisfied users?

2. richey88

richey88 Tele-Afflicted

Jul 28, 2009
    philly suburbs
    I had the Belcat Phaser for a few days, did not care for; hard to explain, very high-endy, ice-picky "peak" to the swirl. Modtone Speedbox a similar experience; muddy or icepicky, no middle ground. I would give other Modtone's a shot (would like to try the boost and Atomic Phaser). Check out Biyang stuff. Love their OD 8 X-drive. Tubescreamer from hell, 3 settings and exchangeable chips! Cool!

3. schenkadere

schenkadere Friend of Leo's

May 13, 2009
    NY
    The Atomic Phaser IS the Belcat Phaser...don't bother...Belcat is the OEM for Modtone and others.

I was curious about the tremolo...I love my trem, but wish it had a wave control. I like the standard old TR-2 but the effect bleed through is unbearable.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. rikhi

rikhi NEW MEMBER!

Jan 23, 2011
    sydney
    I got a few Belcat pedals- Phaser, Fuzz & Distortion. I have to say I'm very impressed for the price I paid (which is half the RRP right now). And the boxes are great too. I'd use them for modding. I loved the phaser the most. Because it did something my other phasers dont and with Tone Zone pickups there envelope affect stands out...... I do like the fuzz too.

I would recommend getting these ped's modded tho.

6. coldwar1977

coldwar1977 Tele-Meister

Jul 28, 2011
    Belgium
    The Belcat DLY-503 delay is a VERY nice pedal.
    Delay time is limited to 130-350 ms, but the sound is great.
    I know much more expensive devices that don't sound as good as this one!

7. rockingstones

rockingstones TDPRI Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Adelaide, Australia
    I've got the Overdrive which I use through my Hot Rod Deluxe with a Tele and a Tele custom.

I really love the pedal. It was cheap, it's solid and built like a tank and makes a great tone. I play Stones music.

I'm a King Bee, buzzin round your hive...

8. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 9, 2008
    Philadelphia
    I have the volume pedal and for the money it does the job and is built very well. I also have the Power Plant and IMHO it is neck and neck with the Voodoo Labs PP2. The bonus on the ModTone is it has a 9vAc on the side.

9. audiohatemchine

audiohatemchine Tele-Holic

Apr 2, 2011
    Akl NZ
    I have 4 modtone pedals, and I've just recently sold my Belcat phaser due to lack of use. Phaser wasn't overly useful, but that's just for my playing.

My modtone pedals are the vintage wah, pedal tuner, mini fuzzer and mini flanger.

Really happy with the fuzz and the wah. They do what I want. None of this tone sculpting business, no tone suck, blah blah, they do what they say they do. Fuzz and a wah. All of them are true bypass.

The flanger is quite nice. It will probably do the big plane sounds but I haven't tried that cuz I don't like van halen. I use it as a quieter effect, and thats its downfall... There is a sliiiiiiight volume drop when you turn it on.

The tuner ... Yeah, tunes. It isn't quite as responsive as a flasher tuner but it does the job and has lights. I'm also using it as a mute switch because I can't be ballsed with a noise gate.

So yeah. I reckon they're sweet value and I use all four of them.

10. k tone

k tone Tele-Afflicted

Feb 29, 2008
    Canada
    My Modtone Harmonic Tremor lost so much volume when engaged that I thought it was defective and sent it to them for repair. They sent it back saying all it needed was a new battery. When I informed them that I use a power supply and not battery's I never heard from them again. I could not flip it fast enough. Try Joyo. I have three now with another on order and they are all excellent. I bought them all from YooSmart and each transaction went very smoothly.

11. Ted M

Ted M Tele-Afflicted

Mar 27, 2003
    Same experience with the Modtone Harmonic Tremor here -

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.