Modern player plus tele...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Hokyjoe, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Hokyjoe

Hokyjoe TDPRI Member

New post by an old lurker looking at forums about this guitar. I just recently aquired the guitar in a trade and am very happy with it. I 'm curious as to when Fender went off shore and branded there guitars "Fender" that were made in China. Again, I'm happy with the guitar and curious about some of the history behind its inception. Thanks!

2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

As far as I know the only Fender branded guitars made in China are the modern player series which came out in 2011.
    Japan would be 1982, Korea 1988 and Indonesia 2009

Crobbins likes this.
  3. Aaron1061

Aaron1061 Tele-Holic

it was the modern player series only.

4. BigDaddyLH

BigDaddyLH Telefied Ad Free Member

Weren't those the guitars with the "22 fret necks without an overhang" that couldn't be swapped with other Teles?

5. Hokyjoe

Hokyjoe TDPRI Member

No overhang with this axe. It is China made , says so on the headstock. I flipped a American Standard tele a while back and this Modern Player is on par with that American in build quality. Lots of variety in tone. Don't know if they are producing this series anymore. I'm pleased with this instrument and am now going to venture into assembling a partscaster with traditional pickups, bridge, etc for something a little more " country" in tele swag. Thanks for your replies!

6. Mr. St. Paul

Mr. St. Paul TDPRI Member

They are still making them, I just bought one recently. I'm very happy with mine, as well.

Do you have other Teles? I ask because, like you say, the Modern Player Plus is quite different from the standard Tele.

7. Hokyjoe

Hokyjoe TDPRI Member

I had a BSB Affinity tele, 2018 model from Indonesia that was a nice sounding guitar but had neck issues from poor quality control. That was traded in with other gear for the tele I posted about.

8. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

That guitar you see to the left is a Modern Player telecaster of some sort (there are so many and the names are so long, I can't remember the full nomenclature). I thought the next was really good, and overall it looked and sounded great. I traded it away because I wanted a standard telecaster configuration. But those guitars are probably the lowest-priced guitars that have the "Fender" name on the headstock. They are worthy of it, in my opinion, and are still being made as far as I know.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
    nicod98 likes this.
  9. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Squier Classic Vibe is far better than these

boris bubbanov likes this.
  10. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

I don't see any difference in quality between the Squier Classic Vibe and the Modern Player. I have 6 CV's and 2 MP's. Weren't they made in the same factory?

They sound different, because they are meant to be "modern player". I see the MP's as some sort of experimentation of Fender, luring people from Squier to Fender.

AxemanVR and jjudas like this.
  11. 3-Chord-Genius

In what way?

12. Hokyjoe

Hokyjoe TDPRI Member

Maybe because he owns them. I've not handled any of the "top shelf" VM or CV Squiers to make a comparison. But I do have experience with a previously owned AS tele and the quality of the Modern Player is pretty close in my opinion.

AxemanVR likes this.
  13. AxemanVR

AxemanVR Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

`
    My Modern Player Strat neck has 22 frets but fits a standard Fender just fine...

`

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019
  14. AxemanVR

`
    My Modern Player Strat neck was made at the same plant as the Classic Vibe and is of excellent quality...

`

15. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

Don't know about strats, but the MP Tele neck (at least the two current models) have 22 frets without overhang, and cannot be used in another body because of that.

AxemanVR likes this.
  16. RoCkstAr256

RoCkstAr256 Tele-Afflicted

Sound, wood, colour, looks, more traditional

17. nicod98

nicod98 Tele-Afflicted

My experience is that they are both (CV and MP) very good (and I don't see any difference in quality). Of course, now the MP's are discontinued (as far as I know), and the new CV's are produced in Indonesia now, and I thought I read that the replacement CV's (50s/60s/69 thinline) might be moved to Indonesia as well.

I don't see how any of those characteristics are in any way linked to a difference in quality. They are just personal preferences, IMHO. I love the MP Plus in charcoal transparent, wish I had one, but the Honey Burst is nice too.

Of course the "classic vibe", which is supposed to mimic traditional models will be more traditional than a "modern player", which is supposed to explore new directions... Here again, we're talking personal preferences, not quality. My MP Thinline is my favourite tele.

The MP Tele Plus seems to have a pine body, just like the CV 50's.
    The MP Thinline has a mahogany body, just like the CV Thinline.
    Which is pretty much as expected, as they seem to have been made in the same factory.

Can you elaborate on how the body woods differ between the MP and CV's, and especially why they would be "far better"?

3-Chord-Genius likes this.
  18. 3-Chord-Genius

Which models did you compare? I had the semi-hollow (see photo at left) with P90's, but I never compared it to a similar Squier. What was the difference in sound that you noticed? The wood, color, looks, "traditional" etc. are subjective. So is the sound, but I'm wondering what difference between the MP and the CV tone you noticed.

19. AxemanVR

Now that I think about it I do recall reading something about the MP Tele necks not fitting right... very curious indeed.

Anyway, FYI, I just checked and my 22 fret MP Strat neck does have the overhang...

nicod98 likes this.
  20. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Meister

No issues with mine:)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.