Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reiland Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com Reilander Pickups
Join TDPRI Today

Modern C necks

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by lineboat, Mar 25, 2013.

1. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    Are they all the same? Or supposed to be? My Strat feels thinner than the Tele Modern C. Not that it matters, it is what it is, but I was curious as to whether they're all supposed to be the same or if there's an intentional difference on the same name.

2. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Jul 23, 2009
    Highland Lakes, NJ
    I think you'll find slight differences, depending on where the guitar was made. The one thing they all have in common for me is, they're all too skinny, and Fender wants you to believe that "everyone wants that shape now." They're wrong.

I couldn't wait to buy a Squier Classic Vibe Tele Custom, but I unloaded it after a few weeks because the neck was like a damned pencil. I suppose I could have bought an All Parts Tro-Fat neck for it, but that's another $200. I also thought the bridge pickup was too skronky, so that would have been another mod.

3. vibrasonic

vibrasonic Tele-Afflicted

I bought a CS 1960 RI last with the "fat C neck" and it it is very comfy, not too big or too small. that being said I can get along on most sized necks after a couple minutes playing if I like the sound of it. Definitely worth checking out if you don't like a too big or too small neck.

My 1963 strat has a skinny D neck and although its not my favourite size it sounds so good I can't put it down when I start playing it.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    I'm sure everybody doesn't want one. Most people don't have my goofy hands. (Short fingers, but wide and thick) I personally like the Modern C. The ball bat necks I'll fumble on every time I try to play fast, as I struggle to reach all the strings. Kinda like an overgrown kid... :)

6. Weaselcoon

Weaselcoon Tele-Meister

May 23, 2011
    Tulsa,OK
    They can vary. My AM ST. Mod C Strat is .83 at the first fret and .90 at the 12th. Pretty thin, but nice feeling neck.

My Am ST. Mod C Tele is a bit fatter. Its .87 at the first fret and .95 at the 12th fret. Noticeably fatter than the Strat.

Seems like there are more fatter maple board necks than rosewood ones. May just be in my head, but it kinda seems that way.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  7. DrumBob

DrumBob -------------------------

Jul 23, 2009
    Highland Lakes, NJ
    I have short fingers too, and when I play a skinny neck, my hand cramps up. I'm much happier with something near a baseball bat.

8. Preferences vary, but one thing I've learned from reading posts here is that there is plenty of love for fat necks.

9. macheesmo3

macheesmo3 Banned

Nov 28, 2006
    Ocean Springs,Mississippi
    The funny thing is, with all of this discussion, I don't even know if any of my guitars have a fat neck or not.... lol I just buy guitars that feel right.

10. Stubee

Stubee Poster Extraordinaire

Jan 22, 2007
    Mid-Michigan
    There is no exact 'medium C', they vary all over in depth & shape.

I like a medium C neck & play an AV62 plus flattops that are kinda similar. Kinda somewhat a little bit the same...they at least ain't 'hard V' or 'baseball bat' etc.

Got a CVC & don't know what Fender calls it but it is 'flat & shallow' vs anything resembling a medium C.

11. lineboat

lineboat Friend of Leo's

Aug 6, 2012
    That last part is what I've found that works. It has to feel right. An electric you can change the sound to suit you, but if it don't feel right, it ends up sitting, and swapped off somewhere along the line. I have found that my feel is along the thinner side...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.