Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

MODERATORS, what the heck is happening here???

Discussion in 'Forum Problems & Issues' started by Peregrino69, Jan 12, 2019 at 1:41 PM.

1. Peregrino69

Peregrino69 Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    As far as I understand, Bad Dog Cafe is a general discussion forum for off-topic subjects, on-topic being all Telecaster-related stuff. The description "Bad Dog Cafe is our Off Topic forum" sort of hints to that direction.

I posted early this morning (or yesterday? Don't remember) a thread with title "Interesting viewpoint". It contains link to a BBC Future article which talks about short-term thinking and it's possible effects on the future of humanity. Nothing political or religious, not sex, drugs or rock'n'roll. No hate.

Now I got this alert saying:

"Your thread Interesting viewpoint was moved to a different forum."

First of all, if Bad Dog isn't the correct forum for off-topic, general discussion, what is?
    Secondly the entire thread's disappeared. I can't find it with search, and I don't see it in any forum.

So WHY exactly was this thread moved and where? If it was REmoved, WHY exactly???

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 1:47 PM
  2. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    Our posts exist solely at the whims and personal rule interpretations of the moderators.

3. blowtorch

blowtorch Telefied Ad Free Member

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    That's a stock phrase they use when they delete your thread. (Don't ask me how I know that)

I think it's mod-humor, sorta. But yeah, what they mean is: "it's outta here"

Stick around, you'll find there's PLENTY we can't discuss here :)

4. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I gotta say though, the mods have a tough and thankless job, keeping the peace around here and running off the spammers and all.

SO if things seem a little arbitrary at times, maybe ask yourself "would I want that job?"

5. Peregrino69

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Oh! I get it! I'll be laughing till midsummer, maybe next Christmas!

Really, can't delete offensive comments? Have to remove entire threads instead? Apparently the forum was recently moved to new platform... aren't that kind of upgrades / changes usually done to improve functionality? Is the current platform salesforce.com or something????

Hmm. A forum mod's job can indeed be thankless one. But this bunch (bumch?) of people seems to be pretty well self-governing... threads don't get locked very often, for example. And I really can't recall this amount of "where did my thread go and why" postings in so short period happening in the past. So what does that mean? We, the forum members, have suddenly after new year become more unruly and started systematically ignoring the rules?

6. Togman

Togman Tele-Afflicted

Apr 28, 2004
    Cambridgeshire, UK
    Whatever your take on the situation here, it's pretty good value for money when all said and done.

7. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    There's probably a lot more "non" self-governing (mod intervention) going on than most anyone realizes, here, which gives the illusion of everyone behaving themselves.

If I were a mod, given the choice, I'd much rather delete an entire thread than have to go through and identify which comments are offensive and weed those out. Yet lots of times, that's exactly what happens, the time-consuming weeding out.

Remember, these guys, lots of em (maybe all?), do this on a volunteer basis.

Greggorios likes this.
  8. Peregrino69

Dec 12, 2016
    Amsterdam
    You might be right there. I don't remember single comments disappearing, tho'. And still I think there's an increase on "where's my thread". Or is it just that I've not been noticing those?

Seems a bit arbitrary this way. Just my opinion, obviously.

Shuster, TokyoPortrait and nojazzhere like this.
  9. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco

Greggorios likes this.
  10. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

May 3, 2016
    In the South
    I got a bollocking yesterday for, very obliquely, touching on politics.

Oh well.

11. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    I've been sent on temporary vacation for trying to discuss literature :)
    to be fair, that was under the old management

12. chezdeluxe

chezdeluxe Poster Extraordinaire

Dec 29, 2007
    Brisbane Australia
    If you don't think that the BBC Future article discussed politics then your powers of comprehension need a boost.

Blue Bill, getbent, bgmacaw and 2 others like this.
  13. David Barnett

David Barnett Doctor of Teleocity

Probably means that they moved it to a forum that only board staff can see.

getbent likes this.
  14. schmee

schmee Friend of Leo's

Jun 2, 2003
    northwest
    I posted a picture in a thread yesterday of a pretty woman, fully clothed. It was deleted by the mods. Go figure. Basically I think they are being so careful "not to rub anyone the wrong way" that what they are creating will become "uninteresting in any way"... pablum for the masses

Bullfweet, Mad Kiwi and Greggorios like this.
  15. blowtorch

May 2, 2003
    Wisco
    Yep that's happened to me. Apparently attractive="cheesecake", and is VERBOTEN :)

Bullfweet, El Tele Lobo and schmee like this.
  16. tery

tery Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Sep 21, 2012
    Tennessee
    Its OK … in two days the Thread / Post is forgotten anyway and the forum has moved on to a new topic .

Shuster and magicfingers99 like this.
  17. kelnet

kelnet Telefied Ad Free Member

Apr 17, 2008
    Port Moody, BC
    Don't blame the moderators for that. It's more likely that it was reported by someone.

18. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2016
    Silicon Valley
    Now you’ve done it... you used the p word, now your post is at risk. :D

magicfingers99 likes this.
  19. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Friend of Leo's

Aug 10, 2018
    In space with Ziggy
    Short term thinking is not allowed these days, or long term, or any thinking.
    We are just allowed to look, consume and refrain from discussing things other than guitar related as they may be considered xyz phobic.

Things will ease up when we are programmed to think the exact opposite of what we were taught to think a few decades ago and abandon any crazy ideas about forming opinions of our own based on facts, common sense or logic.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019 at 3:40 PM
    Bullfweet, Doctorx33, Shuster and 7 others like this.
  20. Gmountain

Gmountain Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

Jun 7, 2015
    Florida
    The forum I moderate has a few spcial forums for paying members. No nudity though.

We also have a political forim that is password protected, so you have affirmitovley want to be there. Only rule is that the political stuff stays there.

It's great. People debate things, it can get heated, but outside of that forum the same people will be talking about cooking, or camping, or whatever.

It's exactly how normal friends talk about things.

Sometimes I think everyone is a little too sensitive. I would have liked to see the BBC post.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.