Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Modeling Thoughts

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by TheDTrain, Sep 27, 2017.

1. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2010
    Jersey
    I use to use Line 6 stuff a lot, nothing beats a real tube amp but I also want a rig that's easier to set up. Been using a Sansamp GT2 on a hot wired Bassman setting for my studio work lately and loving it. I got to thinking of getting a Tech 21 Blonde and a Power Engine cabinet for live. Any have any experience using these together cause the Tech 21 stuff takes pedals very well.

2. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    I have a Trademark 60.
    I love it.
    It can easily be used for recording.
    Sounds great for what it is.
    It's a Power Engine with a built in 2 channel preamp and fantastically voiced direct out.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Tele-Afflicted

Feb 3, 2017
    Foat Wuth, Texas
    I had a Vox Vt20+ for a while....I loved the size and weight, but the voicing choices?.....ALMOST a tweed fender, ALMOST a Trainwreck, ALMOST a Blackface Fender,....well you get the idea. This is when I discovered the Vox Pathfinder 15R....one voice, but a good one. Plus, changing stuff on the fly wasn't intuitive or convenient for me. (old guy)

Dismalhead likes this.

4. 24 track

24 track Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

Nov 6, 2014
    kamloops bc
    I use the pod pro (line 6) and the ART SGX 2000 I dont use the modeling aspect I prefer to make my own sounds I also use a Zoom GFX707 and I use the cab similator on that it warms the sound out put, as for distortion into an amp ( Fender twin BFRI or Marshall JCM 800 combo 4104 ), I Use a BK Butler tube driver to drive the signal at lower levels. once you split the out puts and send them to different amps at the same time you get a massive wall of sound that you would not beleive , of course this is for the studio , but I could recreate this for live as well.

I like to Blend my sounds rather than daisy chain , you can create some really nice effects and fat sounds that way.

5. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2010
    Jersey
    I thought about the Trademark but I really like the tone of the GT2 and the control of the Character series Blonde pedal.

6. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

Feb 16, 2014
    Auburn, California
    I've still got a Vox modeler, but like nojazzhere says, it comes close, but not quite the real deal. If I'm gonna play onstage I'm gonna use one of my tube amps.

7. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Friend of Leo's

Feb 12, 2010
    Jacksonville
    Sansamp no doubt makes great stuff.
    I am getting further into the modeling gear. To be honest, it's just so easy if you have the right gear to call up a patch and let 'er rip.
    Tubes have a warmth and depth that I think is hard for digital and analog modeling to capture. However, I think it's close enough in terms of tones particularly when your tones are sitting in a larger mix.
    I am sure that true audiophiles still prefer the warmth of a great tube amplifier and pressed vinyl. Actually, I do too but I don't want the muss and fuss of a turntable, receiver or integrated amp, decent speakers and all those albums cluttering up the place. Heck, I use a soundbar for my TV audio. I am beginning to loathe my pedalboard and amp although they sound great.

8. RyCo1983

RyCo1983 Tele-Afflicted

Aug 15, 2012
    Central PA
    I paid under 200 for the TM60. Great a great deal. It can run anything through the FX loop in.

I haven't cranked a real amp up since getting my Helix. I went full on modelling.

9. TheDTrain

TheDTrain Tele-Holic

Jun 12, 2010
    Jersey
    People complain all the time the music is too loud...(warning; a-hole chef impression in 3...2...1) MY AMP IS ONLY 12 F*****G WATTS! So modeling so I can get the same tones at all volumes. Yes I know watts don't equal volume but it's not loud at all, the vintage Jensen speaker I installed is not loud.

And I don't use the GT2 breakup I use it like a clean amp and damn my BD2 sounds great through it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.