Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Modeling Pedals in front of Tube Amps?

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by mnutz, Sep 27, 2017.

1. mnutz

mnutz Tele-Holic

Blasphemy, I know.

Anyway how many of you are running some sort of modeler into a tube amp? Are running into the front or through an effects loop?

Are you getting a good 4x12 cabinet emulated Marshall tone through a little open back, low wattage combo? Or any other combination?

2. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Aug 2, 2013
    Mid Sussex, UK
    That's a mighty big question mnutz.

I use a Mesa 1X12 combo with a POD HD500x using the 4 cable method (Google is your friend...).

This means that the POD is the source for my sound and I use the Mesa pre-amp as a switchable out board effect and everything then gets dumped into the Mesa's power amp through the FX loop. I can put the Mesa pre-amp wherever I want in the signal chain (or turn it off) and add effects in pre and post. I can even run a dual pre-amp using the real valve Mesa on one side and a modelled pre-amp on the other. I then sum them back to mono and push it out to the little 1X12's power amp.

No, it doesn't sound like a 4X12 how I use it but I could model a 4X12 and send that out to the PA if I wanted to.

The possibilities are endless and things are now high quality and tweakable enough that your audience will not know what's making the sound.

mnutz likes this.

3. Chicago Slim

Chicago Slim Tele-Afflicted

Oct 19, 2005
    Bowling Green, KY
    When I started play for recording artist's, I had to play through provided back lines. Usually, it was a clean amp like a Twin Reverb or Roland Jazz Chorus. I started using a MFX pedal, in order to get the kind of sound that I was used to, from my amps. It got to where I used an MFX pedal all the time, because the effects sounded better than on-board or single effects like a Tape Echo. The noise floor was also lower with an MFX pedal, than single pedals.

I run it in front of the amp, and sometimes split the output to two amps. I don't try for a 4X12 cabinet sound, but I do tend to model Tweed Bassman, 4X10 type sounds. I can get a big sound, using a 10" combo and an MFX pedal. This is done more with ambient effects than cabinet modeling. The 4X12 cabinet modeling can sometimes sound like throwing a blanket over your amp.

mnutz likes this.

4. Frodebro

Frodebro Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Aug 17, 2012
    Seattle
    I've gotten really good results running a Helix into the front end of a DRRI. The key thing is to remember that not all traditional pedals sound good through every amp, and it's the same thing with the modeled versions. Experimentation is the name of the game.

codamedia and mnutz like this.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.