Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups darrenriley.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com
Asher Guitars WD Music Products Amplified Parts Mod Kits DIY Nordstarnd Pickups Warmoth.com

Modeling amp with best cleans

Discussion in 'Modeling Amps, Plugins and Apps' started by holgaguy, Apr 29, 2018.

1. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Telefied Ad Free Member

Nov 15, 2009
    Austin, Tx
    I’m (still) a Roland Cube devotee.
    I like the 80XL models best.

Tony Forman and Durberville like this.
  2. tfarny

tfarny Tele-Afflicted

Sep 4, 2008
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Wow, I play my Katana 100 clean almost every day. In fact I A/B'd it with a buddy's real-deal BF super and I (and the bandmates in the room) didn't have a clear preference, but who knows, somebody else might. I go back and forth between the "clean" mode on the dial which is a JC120 copy and the Clean Twin setting from the Sneaky Amps mode. That requires a few minutes on the computer to do setup the first time you use it, but no biggie. Plenty of brightness on either setting, they are just different.

I haven't tried out everyone else's amp though, so who knows. I also really, really like the clean tones I get out of the Orange Crush 35rt at the practice space. It also has headphones, Mp3 in, built-in tuner and digital reverb and retails under $300.

3. DougM

DougM Tele-Afflicted

Jul 5, 2017
    Honolulu, HI
    I just discovered that if I use the on-board compressor in front on the BF Twin amp model in my humble Mustang 1 V2 and then put a good OD pedal between my Strat and the amp, I can get a blues tone to die for, maybe even better than my Katana 50.

4. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Sep 18, 2011
    los angeles
    I have the katana artist and i prefer it's cleans to either of my mustangs. (MIII and GT100) I never use clean amp settings, i just use driven tones that clean up well with the guitar volume and prefer that sort of clean. But the artist is the only one i found a clean good enough that i use a clean amp setting at times. The front panel clean is pretty good, but if you use the clean twin in sneaky amps, IMO it's a good bit better then any clean in the mustangs. Pull it up in the FXFloorboard app and it will also have a bright switch. Lots of ways in that and boss tone studio to tweak it deeply and it's capable of great cleans. The EQ's and compressor in the apps are much better then the mustangs so that makes it even better. In fact all the effects are really good.

The biggest issue i had with cleans in the mustangs is the feel. Said it here many times, the feel is nothing like a real tube amp clean. I liked their feel with OD tones and the cleans u get rolling the guitar down, but when using clean amp sounds i thought they felt nothing like a tube amp. The kat with that twin model sound and feels real. Can't speak for the regular Kats, and many say the artist sounds quite different, So i dunno how they will sound and feel compared to mine.

5. Donny Osmond fan

Donny Osmond fan Tele-Holic

May 6, 2018
    Uknown.
    Vox amplifiers sound great to me. The old Johnson's sound great too. Remember those. The first modeling amplifiers. I own one. Scott Grove uses them too. The old 70 pound Johnson has a great clean tone. The amplifier models sound decent too.

6. OneHenry

OneHenry Tele-Holic

Apr 16, 2018
    North carolina
  7. Vognell

Vognell Tele-Meister

Feb 17, 2016
    Orlando, Florida
    The Katana should do the trick for you.

Select Clean Amp type, Gain to about 25, volume 100%. Master volume as appropriate, EQ and presence as you like. A touch of "Clean Boost" and reverb should get you there. Works better at 25 or 50 watt setting on the katana 50. The more headroom, the better.

8. Sollipsist

Sollipsist Tele-Afflicted

Aug 25, 2016
    Sorry about your Mustang experience, I've had great luck with mine but it almost never gets pushed very hard as a home practice amp.

I thought that my THR10x would be an across-the-board improvement, but the Yamaha's cleans seem to lack a bit of crispness or edge compared to the Fender (which fails at the gainier stuff that the Yamaha nails).

Neither one has 100% satisfied me with a slightly overdriven low-to-medium gain sound, but both are light years ahead of the original POD that I used to use :D

9. vkinetic

vkinetic Tele-Meister

Nov 22, 2017
    Bundeena, Sydney, Australia
    Well I know it isn't an 'amp', but check this out:

There are heaps more videos about the AX8, and other modellers, including modelling amps, which might help you find what you're looking for. For me the AX8 just kills the rest in all genres.

10. LAGinz

LAGinz Tele-Meister

Sep 27, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Love! channel 1 on my Champ XD for clean blackface sounds!!

ADK Teleman and 3-Chord-Genius like this.
  11. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Sep 14, 2005
    Nueces Strip
    I love the orange '65 Twin Reverb of my Mustang I V2. My go-to and starting place for everything.
    I also copied a simulation for a Vox AC15 from a thread here, also pretty good for your descreption.

ADK Teleman likes this.
  12. Bowpickins

Bowpickins TDPRI Member

May 29, 2018
    Somewhere In TX
    I can speak for the Fender Mustang 3 v2 100 watt. Great clean and drive when dialed in properly. I've been gigging mine playing fiddle and lead guitar for the last 3 years and counting.:cool:
    I play with the Deluxe reverb preset, (modelled after my Deluxe Reverb 65 reissue).
    I like the tone of it in the mix as much as my Deluxe.
    Hope this helps, and good luck! ;)

ADK Teleman and Bill like this.
  13. birv2

birv2 Tele-Afflicted

Jan 26, 2010
    Charleston, SC
    Another vote for the Mustang III v2. I play old school blues like you. It's a Fender product, and it's got all those old Fender amp sims in there. They do a good job with modeling their own amps!

Now that it's previous gen, you should be able to pick one up for not too much.

14. PCollen

PCollen Tele-Afflicted

May 7, 2010
    Man of the World
    I have a Mustang III, and like most of its basic amp models..all have good clean tones. I chose the Mustang over the Katana because I wanted the versatility of the many amp models available in comparison to the basic 5 Katana amp "personalities".The Katana has more effect options to surround those 5 amp personalities with than the Mustang, but I liked the somewhat fewer effects but more amp models of the Mustang. Both get good reviews.

That said, there isn't a cleaner amp on the planet than a Roland Jazz Chorus.

ADK Teleman likes this.
  15. mabley123

mabley123 Friend of Leo's

Aug 21, 2011
    ashland kentucky
    Used Fender Cyber Twin.

16. beninma

beninma Tele-Afflicted Ad Free Member

Mar 17, 2017
    Massachusetts
    I like the THR cleans a lot. The smaller THRs won't be loud enough to play with a band but maybe the head + cab version is.

Totally clean is where I like the THR. It's the in-between zone I find challenging with it.

17. AndrewG

AndrewG Friend of Leo's

May 15, 2007
    Exeter, England
    For 'just on the edge of break up' clean tones I found the Blues Cube does that very well.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.